Tutow Airfield - Flugplatz Tutow

Tutow Airfield
Tutow Airfield Tower Ost.JPG
Characteristics
ICAO-Code EDUW
Coordinates

° 55 53 '19 " N , 13 ° 13' 8" O Koordinaten: 53 ° 55 '19 " N , 13 ° 13' 8" O

Height above MSL 7 m (23 ft)
Transport links
Distance from the city center 1 km west of Tutow,
10 km east of Demmin
road B110
Basisdaten
opening 1933
operator Flugplatz Tutow Betriebs GmbH
Start-and runway
17/35 1200 m × 60 m Concrete

i1 i3


i7 i10 i12 i14

The airfield Tutow is an Aerodrome category airfield in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern .

location

The airfield is located about 1.2 kilometers west of the municipality of Tutow in the Vorpommern-Greifswald district . The airfield , which is around ten kilometers east of Demmin , can be reached from there and from the Jarmen junction of the federal motorway 20 via the federal highway 110 .

history

After the seizure of power by the Nazis in 1933 so far has been bypassing the Treaty of Versailles used by Germany Lipetsk fighter-pilot school at Lipetsk in the Soviet Union dissolved. Several flight schools were established in Germany under the guise of the German Air Sports Association (DLV) . As early as 1932, the Reich Aviation Ministry had owned larger lands in the Kuckucksgraben area, including the Kruckower Vorwerk Wittenwerder, from Baron von Sobeck in Kruckow under threat of expropriation acquired. The residents of the Vorwerk were resettled in the surrounding villages.

From 1933 the DLV ran a flight school with two airfields. According to the most modern standards for the time, the construction of the teaching and training facilities, workshops and sports facilities began. The Tutow settlement was built together with the aeronautical and military facilities. A small railway line to Schmarsow connected the area with the Demminer Bahnen . To secure the supply of building materials, another small railway line of the Mecklenburg-Pomerania Narrow Gauge Railway (MPSB) was built from the Zarrenthin gravel pit near Jarmen in 1934 . This was dismantled in 1939 after a standard gauge works railway from Demmin to Tutow in 1937 had been put into operation.

In 1934 a makeshift combat squadron ( I. Group of Kampfgeschwader 152 ) was set up by the Reich Air Force in Tutow and an air base command was established.

On January 1, 1935, the Tutow Fighting School was founded. Until March 1, 1935, it led the code name Funkpeilversuchsinstitut der Elektrotechnischen Industrie eV Tutow . On October 1, 1935, the II. Group of Kampfgeschwader 152 was set up.

On August 1, 1938, the combat group, e.g. V. 4, consisting of three Ju 52 squadrons, was set up here, but it was disbanded on October 22, 1938. From November 1, 1938, the flying school was called the Great Combat Flying School and Group II of Training Wing 2 ( attack aircraft with Hs 123 ) was stationed here. In addition to pilots, combat observers, radio operators and gunmen were trained here. In addition, an anti-aircraft training regiment was stationed in Tutow.

In 1939 a large teaching building, a swimming pool and other sports facilities were completed. A planetarium and flight simulators were available for training. The garrison strength at times reached 3000 men. The Tutow airfield had become a center of aviation training. [1]

Machines of the secret Kampfgeschwader 200 were stationed on the southern airfield until 1944 , transporting agents from here to Estonia , Latvia and Belarus . After the bombing of the Arado aircraft works in Warnemünde , a subsidiary plant for the final assembly of the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 was set up in Tutow . During the so-called Big Week , a total of five air raids by the 8th US Air Force took place from February 20, 1944 and thereafter . One of them was on April 9th, Easter Sunday. Another attack by the United States Army Air Forcestook place on May 13th early on Saturday afternoon. Some facilities at the airfield were hit. By far the most momentous attack occurred on Whit Monday, May 29, 1944. “Most of the time it was broken on Whitsunday,” said contemporary witness Anneliese Köster - the daughter of the airfield hairdresser. [1]

At the end of April 1945 the last units of the Reichsluftwaffe left the air base, which was captured by the Red Army on April 30th . Then from May the 309th Soviet Fighter Division (IAD), the 233rd Attack Airplane Division (SchAD) and the 164th Independent Guard Reconnaissance Regiment (OGwRAP) of the Soviet Air Force occupied the area. But the flying units were withdrawn as early as June and numerous facilities at the airfield were dismantled as reparations by 1948 or destroyed by the early 1950s.

A Su-25BM of the 368th OSchAP withdrawing from Tutow on June 15, 1993

From 1953, the runway for jet planes was expanded and the infrastructure was renewed, which was followed by an extensive expansion phase from 1986 to 1989, in which, among other things, a new tank farm, a waterworks and 20 buildings, including nine prefabricated buildings for the families stationed Soldiers, were erected. In addition to GSSD troops, NVA units were also often stationed, which, like the 16th Air Army, mainly used the site as a reserve and alternative airfield for units whose home bases were being expanded. It wasn't until 1988 that a Soviet unit moved into the Su-25 and L-39equipped 368th OSchAP (Independent Attack Airplane Regiment), permanently the area. The air force of the GDR briefly trained pilots on MiG-15 and L-29 here in the 1960s and 1970s . Several times MiG-17 and MiG-21 from various fighter squadrons of the LSK / LV were in Tutow. Since the 1960s, both armies have trained parachutists on site. In 1985 the use by units of the NVA ended. In the course of the withdrawal of the former Soviet troops from Germany, the 368th Attack Aircraft Division also left on June 15, 1993 with its Su-25the site. The last transport flights were completed in August and the site was then handed over to the German authorities.

After it was returned, the airfield was initially administered by the Federal Property Office, whose special permit made the first civil landing in 1997. Many vacant buildings on the site have since been demolished. In 2001, the license to operate a commercial airfield was granted, which was opened on March 28, 2003.

literature

  • Horst Dassow: Tutow - history of a settlement in Western Pomerania . 2nd revised edition. Self-published by the author, 1999.
  • Stefan Büttner: Red places . Russian military airfields Germany 1945–1994.Fliegerhorste – aerodrome – military fallow. Aerolit, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-935525-11-4 .
  • Thomas Bussmann: Reinforced concrete, grass and railway lighting . The military airfields of the GDR. MediaScript, Cottbus, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-9814822-0-1 .

Weblinks

Commons : Flugplatz Tutow - Collection of pictures, videos and audio files

Individual evidence

  1. a b contemporary witness: memories of the bombs on Tutow | Nordkurier.de. June 4, 2019, accessed June 12, 2019 .