Aviation pilot school "S"
|active||June 10, 1956 to September 30, 1978|
|Armed forces||armed forces|
|structure||3 training groups|
|Location||Wunstorf Air Base|
|Former locations||Uetersen, Memmingen, Mengen-Hohentengen, Friedrichshafen, Neubiberg|
|Last school commander||Colonel Theodor Zillober|
|training||Piper L-18, Bell 47, Piaggio P.149, Dornier Do 27|
| Transport aircraft / |
|Nord Noratlas, Percival Pembroke, Transall C-160, Bristol Sycamore, Sikorsky H-34, Vertol H-21|
The pilot school "S" (short FFS "S" ) was an aeronautical training facility of the German Air Force , whose mission it was to train the crews of transport aircraft and helicopters . It existed from 1956 to 1978 and then merged with the re-established Lufttransportgeschwader 62 .
Analogous to the pilot schools “A” ( Landsberg am Lech ) and “B” ( Fürstenfeldbruck ), which carried out the training of pilots for jet aircraft , the Federal Ministry of Defense set up the pilot school “S” with effect from June 10, 1956 To ensure training in the field of transport aircraft and helicopters. At that time, the training took place with the support of Allied soldiers, but entirely in Germany. 
With the installation order No. 15, the Uetersen Air Base in Schleswig-Holstein was determined as the first location , but Memmingen was already planned as the final location at that time , to which the FFS "S" moved at the beginning of August 1956. To train the crews, the school had three training stadiums (from November 1958 training groups), which shared the various training courses: 
- Training group A - Basic aviation training on the Piper L-18 and Piaggio P.149 models
- Training group B - instrument flight training on the types Nord Noratlas and Percival Pembroke
- Training group C - helicopter training
Due to the limited space in Memmingen, the decision was made to relocate the samples, e.g. B. to carry out the training of the Do-27 pilots of the army in Friedrichshafen , while the training group B trained from Neubiberg , before it was decided to move the group B in October 1958 to the time of the Third Reich and in the post-war period by the Royal Air Force used to relocate Wunstorf Air Base near Hanover . Training group C continued training in Faßberg , Memmingen was then the location of Fighter Bomber Squadron 34 until 2003 , and training group A in Diepholzwas still responsible for the initial flying training. 
In addition to the training assignment, the FFS "S" also performed regular transport missions, for example during the flood disaster in Hamburg in 1962 . In 1963, training group A was dissolved, as it had been decided in the meantime to train the pilots of the Air Force and Navy for transport aircraft and maritime patrol aircraft at the Lufthansa Commercial Aviation School in Bremen ; Only after completing this training is there further training in the military units. This form of training has existed since August 1, 1960  and is continued to this day. 
Group C, which is responsible for helicopter training, was later transferred to the Air Force Helicopter Driving School (HFSLw), relocated to the Ahlhorn location and dissolved in 1975 in favor of training in the United States ; Like today's International Helicopter Training Center in Bückeburg, it not only trained helicopter drivers for the Bundeswehr, but also for the Federal Border Police, the police forces of the federal states and friendly states. 
From 1969 the newly introduced Transall C-160 transport aircraft was trained in Wunstorf , and in 1970 the twin-engine Dornier Do 28D “Skyservant” was added to the fleet for instrument flight training . By 1976 the FFS “S” had trained 9,130 pilots in 155,000 flight hours. In 1978 the end came for the FFS "S" in its previous form, it was re-established on October 1, 1978 as the "second" Lufttransportgeschwader 62 (the first so-called association was dissolved in 1971) and continued to hold its teaching position. The training in Bremen was continued as the 4th squadron of the squadron. 
School coat of arms
The aircraft piloting school "S" used a coat of arms consisting of the lettering "FFS 'S'" at the top and a three-part section with a falcon (training group A), the figure of Hans Huckebein by Wilhelm Busch (training group B) and a dragonfly ( Training group C). Later a coat of arms was carried exclusively with the crow Hans Huckebein, which was later adopted by LTG 62, whereby only the designation "FFS 'S" on a yellow background was changed to "LTG 62". 
|Colonel Heise||July 16, 1956||December 31, 1958|
|Oberst Joachim Poetter||January 1, 1959||30. September 1961|
|Colonel Horst Merkwitz||October 1, 1961||January 15, 1963|
|Colonel Herbert stairs||January 16, 1963||24. August 1964|
|Colonel Karl Horst Meyer to the field||28. August 1964||1. April 1970|
|Colonel Siegfried Gottschalt||1. April 1970||30. September 1972|
|Colonel Werner Drechsel||1st October 1972||March 31, 1973||Then the Federal Ministry of Defense is ready to fly|
|Colonel Horst Naumann||1. April 1973||May 1, 1975|
|Oberst Heinrich Mayerhofer||May 1, 1975||unknown||Accident|
|Lieutenant Colonel Claus Kemme||unknown||10. November 1975||Transitional|
|Colonel Theodor Zillober||10. November 1975||30. September 1978||Until the dissolution of the association commander|
- Gerhard Lang: Transall . 1st edition. Motorbuch-Verlag, Stuttgart 2014, ISBN 978-3-613-03713-7 , pp. 102–103.
- Norbert Siats: 50 years of pilot training with Lufthansa. In: luftwaffe.de. Luftwaffe, September 17, 2010, accessed November 8, 2015 .
- Felix Troschier: A legend is retiring: Flyout of the Bell UH-1D in the Air Force - Helicopter Driving School of the Air Force. In: rth.info. rth.info - Fascination Air Rescue, February 4, 2013, accessed on October 14, 2015 .