River guide - Flussführer
River guide (also water leader , river hiking book , water hiking , hiking trip leader , canoe hiking , canoeing leader , rowing hiking or rowing leaders called) are reference books with information for the canoeing and rowing . They contain the information relevant to canoeing and rowing, usually about several bodies of water in a region or country.
The river guides usually contain information on launching and launching points, danger spots (e.g. weirs), locks, obstacles, water closures and nature reserves. It is also listed whether a stretch of water may not be navigated at all or only under certain conditions (e.g. a minimum level). It also includes overnight accommodation such as tent sites , boathouses or DKV canoe stations , as well as the level of difficulty of the individual sections of the river.
As a rule, there is some general information about the respective body of water first. Then the contained rivers are described in the direction of flow using an official (or self-made) kilometer . All aspects relevant to hiking rowing and canoeing are recorded with precise kilometers.
Some river guides also contain overview maps.
River guides fulfill an important safety function for hiking rowing and canoeing, as the athletes can find out in advance about the degree of difficulty and possible danger spots. They are therefore particularly important when paddling white water . Since bodies of water are constantly changing, however, they cannot replace your own caution and the inspection of difficult-to-estimate sections before a visit.
The river guides of the German Canoe Association have developed into by far the most important river guides, with a total of more than 250,000 copies. There is the German River Hiking Book for the whole of Germany as well as six regional guides for the inland, and nine other volumes ( DKV foreign guides ) for all European countries. A characteristic of the DKV river guides is the restriction to factual information without subjective descriptions and photos.
The similarly structured “Handbook for Touring Rowing” is published by Limpert Verlag Wiebelsheim.
In addition, several publishers publish river guides for smaller regions or individual rivers, which often contain further information and photos.
Good touring rowing and canoeing guides are regularly updated in which changes that have occurred (e.g. due to construction work, floods or changed navigation regulations) are recorded and communicated. The waters are usually explored and described by private individuals on a voluntary basis , and the results are passed on to clubs, associations or publishers for further processing. This inevitably leads to longer running times than z. B. with road maps until a change in nature is reflected in the printed river guide. In connection with the comparatively rapid change in morphologythe up-to-dateness of the river guides is always limited, especially with rivers; they can therefore only be used as an informative guide.
Various river guide providers offer an online platform on which changes are announced earlier than in the printed version.
River guides of the water sports associations
- German river hiking book . 27th edition. DKV Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2018, ISBN 978-3-937743-82-0 .
- DKV canoeing book for north-west Germany. 12th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2014, ISBN 978-3-937743-36-3 . (Rivers of Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein, Bremen, Hamburg and neighboring areas)
- DKV water guide for North Rhine-Westphalia . 8th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2019, ISBN 978-3-00-034266-0 .
- DKV water guide for Germany Central-West , canoe guide for Hesse, Rhineland-Palatinate and Saarland. 6th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2016, ISBN 978-3-937743-60-8 (river areas of the Rhine, Lahn, Main from Gemünden, Mosel, Fulda and Werra)
- DKV water guide for Baden-Württemberg , 6th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2016, ISBN 978-3-937743-53-0 .
- DKV water guide North Bavaria . 12th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2016, ISBN 978-3-937743-55-4 (The Bavarian river guide has been divided into north and south since the 12th edition in 2016. The northern part includes the Danube and the waters of Franconia and the Upper Palatinate.)
- DKV Water Guide South Bavaria . 12th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2016, ISBN 978-3-937743-56-1 (The southern part includes the Danube as well as the waters of (Bavarian) Swabia, Upper and Lower Bavaria.)
- DKV water guide for East Germany. 4th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2011, ISBN 978-3-937743-28-8 .
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 1: Austria / Switzerland. 6th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2009, ISBN 978-3-937743-19-6 .
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 2: Southwest Europe . 5th edition. DKV Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2007, ISBN 978-3-937743-06-6 . (Italy, Portugal, Spain)
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 3: Southern France / Corsica . 9th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2018, ISBN 978-3-937743-71-4 .
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 4: Scandinavia. 5th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2012, ISBN 978-3-937743-33-2 . (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden)
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 5: Southeast Europe. 4th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2012, ISBN 978-3-924580-54-4 . (Albania, Bulgaria, Greece, successor states of Yugoslavia, Moldova, Romania, Turkey, Ukraine, Hungary)
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 6: Northern France, Benelux. 4th edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2013, ISBN 978-3-937743-37-0 . (Northern France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands)
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 7: Northeast Europe (Poland, Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania). 3. Edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2019, ISBN 978-3-937743-81-3 (The descriptions for the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Russia, which were previously included in the DKV guide "Northeast Europe", will appear in a different volume in future .)
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 8: Great Britain, Ireland. 1st edition. DKV Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 1997, ISBN 3-924580-55-3 .
- DKV Foreign Guide Volume 9: Danube and tributaries - Canoe guides for the Danube region . 2nd Edition. DKV-Wirtschafts- und Verlags-GmbH, Duisburg 2018, ISBN 978-3-937743-54-7 (Danube from source to mouth including its tributaries, club addresses of canoe clubs on the Danube in Germany and Austria.)
- Touring Rowing Manual. (two-volume loose-leaf collection). Limpert Verlag, Wiebelsheim 2008, ISBN 978-3-7853-1566-8 . (9th partial delivery 2010, ISBN 978-3-7853-1832-4 )
Regional river guides (selection)
- Tour Atlas TA1: Schleswig-Holstein + Lower Elbe including Elbe Cycle Route + Baltic Sea Cycle Route. Water hikes between Lüneburg Heath, the Baltic Sea and Denmark. Scales 1: 75,000 and 1: 25,000. 2nd Edition. Jübermann Kartographie und Verlag, Uelzen 2014, ISBN 978-3-929540-67-3 .
- Tour Atlas TA2: Weser-Ems, water hiking between the Mittelland Canal and the North Sea. Scale 1: 75,000. 2nd Edition. Jübermann Kartographie and Verlag Uelzen 2013, ISBN 978-3-929540-62-8 .
- Tour Atlas TA4: Oberweser - Leine. M. 1: 75,000. 1st edition. Jübermann Kartographie und Verlag, Uelzen 2007, ISBN 978-3-929540-64-2 .
- ToursAtlas TA5: Berlin-Brandenburg. Scale 1: 75,000. 5th edition. Jübermann Kartographie und Verlag, Uelzen 2013, ISBN 978-3-929540-66-6 .
- Tour Atlas TA6: Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. Scale 1: 75,000. 4th edition. Jübermann Kartographie und Verlag, Uelzen 2012, ISBN 978-3-929540-57-4 .
- ToursAtlas TA7: Elbe-1 (Elbe Sandstone Mountains to Magdeburg), 41 maps on a scale of 1: 25,000 and 10 maps on a scale of 1: 75,000, Jübermann Kartographie und Verlag Uelzen, 1st edition 2014, ISBN 978-3-929540-80-2
- Water hiking atlas Berlin and Brandenburg - Märkische Waters . 5th edition. Kompass-Karten GmbH, Rum / Innsbruck 2007, ISBN 978-3-85491-609-3 .
- Water hiking atlas Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania - Mecklenburg waters and Bodden waters . 7th edition. Kompass-Karten GmbH, Rum / Innsbruck 2013, ISBN 978-3850267410 .
Historical river guides
- Friedrich Eduard Keller : Hip Hip Hurray! Straube's guide for water hikers. Geographisches Institut and map publisher Jul. Straube, Berlin (six editions between 1897 and 1929; focus on Berlin, Brandenburg and Mecklenburg, as well as volumes covering all of Germany)
- Walter Eddelbüttel: Canoe hiking book for Northwest Germany. First edition in 1923, continued after 1957 as "DKV Canoeing Book for Northwest Germany".
- Oskar Ruperti: Guide for Touring Rowers, ed. on behalf of the German Rowing Association. "Watersport" publishing house Berlin 1910 (first comprehensive touring rowing guide for all of Germany, created after an application on the rowing day in Hamburg 1908)
- Canoe hiking book of the GDR . 1st edition. Sportverlag, Berlin 1952, five editions by 1963.
- Water hiking atlas Märkische Waters . 1st edition. Tourist Verlag Berlin , 1974, five editions by 1990; printed on waterproof special paper (Hekosyn), today continued as a compass water walking atlas (see above).
- Water hiking atlas Mecklenburg waters and Bodden waters . 1st edition. Tourist Verlag Berlin , 1976, six editions by 1990; printed on waterproof special paper (Hekosyn), today continued as a compass water walking atlas (see above).
- DKV river guide on the website of the Kanu-Verlag
- Supplements to the river guide in Switzerland and neighboring countries
- „River-info“, Online-Flussführer
- "Flussinfo.net" , river guide for northern Germany
- "Faltbootwiki" , river descriptions for hiking paddlers in Germany and neighboring countries
- "KanuKanu" , river descriptions by Austrian paddlers, formerly operated in the form of a wiki
- "Gewässer.rudern.de" , route descriptions of the German Rowing Association
- WeRow.com Guide , interactive walking rowing guide