François Bertemes - François Bertemes
Bertemes is the son of the Luxembourg painter Roger Bertemes and the brother of the journalist, curator and translator Paul Bertemes . In 1978 he began studying history , classical philology and physical geography at the Cours Universitaires in Luxembourg . In 1979 he continued his studies of Prehistory and Early History , Near Eastern Archeology and Geology at the Saarland University in Saarbrücken .
In 1985 he did his doctorate with Rolf Hachmann with a cultural-historical and palaeometallurgical study on the Early Bronze Age burial ground of common barons in Austria and since then has been a research assistant at the Institute for Prehistory and Protohistory at Saarland University. During this time he took part in joint research projects with the Charles University in Prague and the University of Sofia as well as the academies in Prague, Brno and Sofia. In 1997 he completed his habilitation and received the Venia legendi in Saarbrücken .
After a substitute professorship in 1998, he has been Professor of Prehistoric Archeology at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg in Halle (Saale) since 1999 . Until 2006 he was managing director of the Institute for Prehistoric Archeology, which in that year was merged with the Institutes for Classical Archeology and Art History to form the “Institute for Art History and Archeologies of Europe”.
He carried out the excavations of the Goseck district moat in Saxony-Anhalt . Since 2005 he has been leading the archaeological research on the small island of Tavşan Adası , north of the ancient port of Didyma on the south west coast of Asia Minor . The aim of the research is to shed light on the emergence and development of the first urban centers in the East Aegean Early and Middle Bronze Age .
- Sun over Saxony-Anhalt. In: Ancient World . Journal of Archeology and Cultural History. Vol. 34, 2003, , p. 543.
- with Peter F. Biehl, Andreas Northe and Olaf Schröder: The Neolithic circular moat of Goseck, Weißenfels district. In: Archeology in Saxony-Anhalt. NF Vol. 2, 2004, , pp. 137-145.
- with Peter F. Biehl: Goseck. Archeology goes online. In: Archeology in Germany (AiD). Issue 6, 2005, , pp. 36-38.
- The researcher Jan Lichardus. In: Valeska Becker, Matthias Thomas, Andrea Wolf-Schuler (eds.): Times, Cultures, Systems. Commemorative publication for Jan Lichardus (= writings of the Center for Archeology and Cultural History of the Black Sea Region. 17). Beier & Beran, Langenweißbach 2009, ISBN 978-3-941171-34-3 , pp. 1-8.
- The early Bronze Age burial ground of common barons. Cultural history and palaeometallurgical studies (= Saarbrücker contributions to antiquity. 45). Habelt, Bonn 1989, ISBN 3-7749-2371-X (also: Saarbrücken, University, dissertation, 1984).
- Contributions in: Saar-Pfalz-Kreis (= guide to archaeological monuments in Germany. 18). Theiss, Stuttgart 1988, ISBN 3-8062-0577-9 .
- Portrait on the website of the Prehistoric Institute of the University of Halle
- Portrait on the website of the Archeology Department of the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg
- Portrait on the website of the Tavşan Adası excavation project
- Literature by François Bertemes in the catalog of the German National Library
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German-Luxembourg prehistorian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 24, 1958|