|Francisco IV Gonzaga of Mantua|
|Birth|| May 7 , 1586 |
Mantua ( Duchy of Mantua )
|Death|| December 22 , 1612(26 years old) |
Mantua (Duchy of Mantua)
|Cause of death||Smallpox|
|Grave||Palatine Basilica of Santa Barbara|
|Noble family||Gonzaga family|
|Fathers|| Vicente I Gonzaga de Mantua |
Leonor de Medici
|Spouse||Margaret of Savoy (since 1608)|
|Children||María Gonzaga de Mantua|
|Busy positions||Duke of Montferri (1612)|
Eldest son of Vicente I Gonzaga and Eleanor de Medici , eldest daughter of the Grand Duke Francisco I of Tuscany and the Austrian Archduchess Juana de Habsburgo-Jagiellon , Francisco married in Turin on February 19 , 1608 with Margarita , daughter of Duke Carlos Manuel I of Savoy . With this marriage, peace was cemented between the two families, antagonized by the possession of Montferrato. . In reality the marriage was to accommodate both sides in politics: on the part of Mantua, to eliminate the claim of Carlos Manuel I on Montferrato, on the part of Savoy , anticipating the future difficulty of the Gonzagas in ensuring the continuity of their dynasty , to be able to increase with greater force, thanks to kinship.
After the death of his father, Francisco assumed power on June 10 , 1612 . His reign lasted only a few months in which, stood out the contest with Ranuccio I Farnese , Duke of Parma , a staunch former enemy of his father, who after his death had been accused of organizing an organized conspiracy against him. The contest was to be resolved by force of arms, however the diplomatic action of Savoy and the ambassador of France helped cement the peace between the two sides.
Francisco dedicated himself to cleaning up the finances of his state. But his work was interrupted very soon: the smallpox epidemic attacked the ducal family and caused the death of his son Luis (his heir) and a few weeks later, on December 22 , 1612 , caused the death of the duke.
His successor was his younger brother Fernando .
Francisco and Margarita had three children:
- Maria Gonzaga ( 29 of July of 1609 - 14 of August of 1660 ), married the 25 of December of 1627 with the Duke Carlos II of Gonzaga-Nevers of Mantua , Duke of Nevers and Rethel (Carlos IV) ( 1609 - 1631 );
- Aloysius ( 27 July as as 1611 - 3 as December as 1612 ), heir;
- Leonor Gonzaga ( December as September as 1612 - 13 as September as 1612 ).
- Cultural Circle The Marquises of Monferrato
- Bourne, Molly (2010). "The Art of Diplomacy: Mantua and the Gonzaga". In Rosenberg, Charles M. (ed.). The Court Cities of Northern Italy: Milan, Parma,
- Piacenza, Mantua, Ferrara, Bologna, Urbino, Pesaro, and Rimini. Cambridge University Press. p. 138-195.
- Bourne, Molly (2016). "From court to cloister and back again: Margherita Gonzaga, Caterina dé Medici and Lucrina Fetti at the convent of Sant'Orsola in Mantua".
- In Cavallo, Sandra; Evangelisti, Silvia (eds.). Domestic Institutional Interiors in Early Modern Europe. Routledge. p. 153-180.
- Raviola, Blythe Alice (2016). "The Three Lives of Margherita of Savoy-Gonzaga, Duchess of Mantua and Vicereine of Portugal". In Cruz, Anne J.; Stampino, Maria Galli (eds.). Early Modern Habsburg Women: Transnational Contexts, Cultural Conflicts. Routledge. p. 59-78.
| Duke of Mantua and Monferrato |
June - December of 1612