Guard-Pioneer-Battalion - Garde-Pionier-Bataillon
|Armed forces||Prussian Army|
|Branch of service||Pioneers|
|Former locations||most recently Berlin|
A guard is both a bodyguard of the ruling class and “that division of the army which, through the selection of men and better equipment, is determined to form an exemplary core force. It is usually concentrated in the capitals and distinguished by more shiny uniforms and other advantages. ”  - After Louis XIV of France had established the guards as representative guards ( garder = to protect, guard, guard), this found many imitators in others European countries, also in Prussia under Frederick I , but above all under Frederick the Great . Accordingly, the clothing of the Prussian Guard pioneers was representativeOfficers had plenty of gold-adorned spiked bonnets and parade uniforms. Items received from the Guard Pioneer Battalion such as pewter jugs, letter seals and fascine knives can be found on the Internet as coveted collector's items.
The Guard Pioneer Battalion Berlin was formed around 1810 through an increase in personnel from the existing pioneer department of the Berlin garrison and had a strength of around 600 men.
- By AKO on February 12th, 1810: formed from remnants of the former pontooners , from miner commands in Spandau , Cosel , Neisse and from ranciers as the Märkisch-Pomeranian Pioneer Company .
- 1812: The company became the trunk of the 2nd Field Pioneer Company.
- March 4, 1813: The company (now called the Brandenburg-Pomeranian or Brandenburg Fortress Pioneer Company ) provided the 5th Field Pioneer Company (No. 5 received this unit on August 2, 1813) and the Pomeranian Fortress Pioneer Company (December 28, 1813).
- March 27, 1816: Reorganization, the company was merged with the 5th Field Pioneer Company to form the Guard Pioneer Division (for the whereabouts of the other companies, see the current Pioneer Battalions No. 2 and No. 8 ).
- 1832: Creation of a Mariniers section, which was handed over to the Navy in 1850 .
- July 28, 1859: Establishment of a 3rd company.
- April 1, 1861: establishment of a 4th company.
- April 1, 1887: Establishment of a 5th (experimental) company.
- October 1, 1899: The 5th Company was transferred to the Telegraph Battalion No. 1 .
- until 1816: see above under formation history .
- March 27, 1816: Guards Pioneer Department
- 4. Juli 1860: Guard-Pionier-Battalion
|1811–1813||Kolberg , see also Siege of Kolberg in 1807|
|1815–1816||The field company in the occupation army in France, the fortress company in the fortress Stettin , fortress Magdeburg and Cölln|
|1816||The field company in the Ehrenbreitstein fortress|
|1816–1820||Berlin, Spandau Fortress, Fortress Szczecin , Fortress Küstrin|
|from 1820||Berlin-Kreuzberg , Köpenicker Strasse 11-15. The four-story barracks were destroyed in World War II and the rubble was removed later.|
In Prussia they were miners and pontoonersinitially worn dark blue uniforms with orange skirt and cuffs. In 1788 the engineers received black collars, skirt flaps, cuffs and lining. In 1798 the entire Prussian pontoon corps was equipped in this way. From 1808 the pioneers wore the uniform of the foot companies of the artillery: black collars, black (so-called Swedish) lapels and black armpit flaps, but with white buttons and black leather gear. The armpit flaps remained black with a red protrusion until 1830, when they became ponçeau red. If you disregard the usual changes in taste, the uniform remained unchanged until 1914. At parades the pioneers were trained and equipped like the infantry, so besides the Württemberg people they wore white trousers and had rifles, cartridge pouches and knapsacks. Their appearances were made byHoboists (only people trained in signal blowing), who may tick swallow nests, accompanied.
- NCOs and men
- Helmet: guard eagle with star, yellow scale chains, black bush
- Tabard: white braids with black mirrors, armpit flaps without markings
- Coat and litewka : strands on the collar flaps
- Patterned silver braids
- there were short silver fringes on the swallow nests, which were covered with the same braid
- Swallow nests with white border and long wool fringes
- had the same uniform as that of the line, but on the helmet the guard eagle with a star, bush, and a star in the back corners of the parade ceiling
|Oberst||Johann von Krohn||April 20, 1816 to April 2, 1820 (in charge of the tour)|
|captain||Adolf Snethlage||27. May 1820|
|Major||Joseph Hesse of Hessenthal||29. April 1831|
|Major||Friedrich von Studnitz||18. April 1837|
|Major||Julius von Mebes||3. June 1841|
|Major||Karl Seeling||February 26, 1846|
|Major||Eduard Burchardt||29. August 1848|
|Major||Albert Theodor Erich||30. September 1851|
|Major||Julius von Engelbrecht||October 1, 1853|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Carl von Keizer||October 23, 1855|
|Thassilo Rückert called Burchardi||5. June 1858|
|Major/Oberstleutnant/Oberst||Ernst von Braun||February 8, 1861 to May 16, 1867|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Oskar Bogun von Wangenheim||June 17, 1867 to December 10, 1870|
|Alfred von Krause||July 15, 1871|
|Hans von Bock||18. May 1876|
|Wilhelm von Kleist||15. April 1882|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Conrad Schubert||November 19, 1889 to January 26, 1895|
|Major||Friedrich of Ammon||January 27, 1895|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Hermann Buek||18. August 1897|
|Major||Ernst von Reppert||19. June 1902|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Albert Stechow||October 18, 1903|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Siegfried von Held||18. May 1908|
|Major/Oberstleutnant||Ernst Nigmann||October 18, 1912|
|Lieutenant colonel||Hugo von Sommerfeld and Falkenhayn||13. November 1915|
|Major||Friedrich Lindow||7. April 1918|
|Major||Conrad Ash||March 8, 1919|
Important members of the battalion
The later General Bruno von Mudra from Muskau began his military career in 1870 as an ensign in the battalion. In 1913 he was raised to the hereditary Prussian nobility, in 1914 he received the Pour le Mérite in recognition of his services to pioneering and his achievements in World War I. Most recently he was Commander-in-Chief of the 17th Army . Mudra became an honorary citizen of his hometown and namesake of barracks of the Bundeswehr in Cologne and Mainz. 
The engineer Adolf Zoeppritz (1855–1939) from Garmisch served as a one-year volunteer in the battalion from 1875 to 1876, where he passed the officer's examination. He then worked successfully as an engineer in Davos and Garmisch, where, among other things, he designed the bobsleigh run in 1910, on which the bobsleigh competitions were held in 1936 during the 1936 Winter Olympics. Due to his diverse activities, also in the field of alpinism, Zoeppritz was made an honorary citizen of Garmisch in 1925 and the elevated road, which had existed since 1905, was renamed Adolf-Zoeppritz-Straße.
- General German real encyclopedia for the educated classes. Conversation lexicon; 10th edition 1853, FA Brockhaus Leipzig; Volume 6: Garden.
- Berlin and its buildings. Volume II: Building Construction. Ernst & Sohn publishing house, Berlin 1896.
- The officers' dining establishment of the Guards Pioneer Battalion. Berlin 1910.
- Siegfried von Held: The Royal Prussian Guard Pioneer Battalion and its war organizations. 1914/1918. Potsdam Verlag Berg, 1932.
- Kurt Loof: The Royal Prussian Guard Pioneer Battalion 1910/1914. (From the 100th anniversary to the beginning of the World War), Edited from diaries and from contributions by comrades, Berlin 1934.
- Klemens Mersmann: History of the Royal Prussian Guard Pioneer Battalion. Berlin 1889 and 1910, (new edition). ( Digitized version )
- Conversations Lexicon ... from 1853.
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 3: The occupation of the active regiments, battalions and departments from the foundation or list until August 26, 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993, ISBN 3-7648-2413-1 , pp. 337–338.
- Senate Administration Berlin ( Memento of the original from February 23, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Homepage of the city of Muskau