|Grand Canal in Venice|
|River mouth||Venice lagoon|
The Grand Canal is the largest canal in the city of Venice , the largest wetland in this country thanks to the multiple canals of different length and width that irrigate it, in Italy . It runs through Venice tracing an S and is followed in size and importance by the Canal Regio or Cannaregio.
The Grand Canal is almost 4 km long; it slides from the northwestern tip of Venice, where the accesses to the mainland are, to the San Marcos dock, on the Adriatic Sea . The canal divides the city into two parts. It is said that the shore where San Marcos Square is located is more patrician and the opposite shore more popular.
Despite being that long and completely dividing the city, the canal only has four bridges:
- Rialto Bridge , the oldest.
- Academia Bridge , between San Vidal and la Carità.
- Puente de los Descalzos , next to the railway station, or Santa Lucía station .
- Puente de la Constitución , the most modern; connects Piazzale Roma with Santa Lucia station .
A vaporetto transports passengers from the Santa Lucia station to the San Marcos dock and on that river trip where stops alternate from one shore to the other, they can see quite a few noble buildings of Venice. [ 1 ]
- Church of the Scalzi , from the 17th century, with two chapels that keep frescoes by the Venetian painter Tiepolo (1696-1770), considered the main teacher of the Venetian school.
- Ca 'Vendramin Calergi , which is the winter headquarters of the casino. It was the last residence of the German musician Richard Wagner (1813-1883), where he died.
- Ca 'Pesaro , the former residence of the Pesaro family, an 18th century building. Today it is the Museum of Modern Art.
- Ca 'd'Oro , named for the gold that originally adorned it. It is a Gothic palace whose origin dates back to the 15th century, the most famous in the city. At present it is the headquarters of the Franchetti Gallery, with a very important collection of paintings.
- Grassi Palace , from the 18th century. It is the headquarters of the Grassi foundation that was established by the Fiat Group . In her important artistic manifestations are celebrated every year.
- Academy . It was the school and monastery of La Carità. Its name comes from the Academy of Fine Arts installed here by Napoleon in 1807. It has Venetian painting from the 14th century.
- Ca 'Foscari , from the 15th century, a masterpiece of Venetian Gothic.
- Palacio Corner della Ca 'Granda , a construction from 1532, by Sansovino (c. 1486-1570), Italian architect and sculptor, considered to be the introducer of the Renaissance . In 1527 he settled in Venice. This palace is at the end of the route, near the dock where the canal ends.
- Palacio Delfín Manin , built by Sansovino himselffor the nobleman Juan Delfín . In this great palace lived the last of the Doges of Venice , Ludovico Manin.
Canal Regio o Cannaregio
It is the second great waterway that Venice has. It is near the railway station and gives its name to the neighborhood that lies behind its eastern shore. It is a neighborhood with very tall houses, built in this way to gain vertical space since the horizontal was very scarce. In this place the first ghetto in history was created in 1516 and the Venetian Hebrew community was forced to settle there. You can visit the synagogues, called in Venetian scole , and in some museums the collections of applied arts of considerable artistic value. The neighborhood offers an interesting atmosphere. [ 2 ]
- Wikimedia Commons hosts a multimedia category on Venice Grand Canal .
- Visit the Grand Canal at Venecia.es, the city's tourist guide (in Spanish)
- The content of this article incorporates material from an entry in the Universal Free Encyclopedia , published in Spanish under the Creative Commons Share-Equal 3.0 license .