Guitarist - Guitarrista
A guitarist is a person who plays the guitar . Guitarists can play a variety of instruments in the guitar family, such as, acoustic guitars , electric guitars . Some guitarists accompany themselves on the guitar singing or playing the harmonica.
The guitarist can employ any of several methods to play the guitar, including finger picking, depending on the type of strings used (either nylon or steel ), and including finger strumming , or a guitar pick made bone, horn, plastic, metal, felt, leather or paper, and melodic probing and finger extraction .
Rock, heavy metal, jazz y country.
Several magazines and websites have compiled what they claim to be lists of the best guitarists, for example, the 100 greatest guitarists of all time by Rolling Stone , or the 100 greatest guitarists of all time by the magazine Guitar World .
- Rolling Stone
- In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine published a list called The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time . This list included 100 guitarists that the magazine's editor, David Fricke , considered the best, with a short introduction for each of them. [ 1 ] First on this list is American guitarist Jimi Hendrix , featured by Pete Townshend , guitarist for The Who , who, in turn, was at number 50 on the list.
- In describing the list readers, Paul MacInnes, of the British newspaper The Guardian , wrote: "Surprisingly, for an American magazine, the top 10 is full of Yankees , " although it also noted three exceptions in the Top 10. [ 2 ] Online magazine Blogcritics criticized the list for introducing some who supposedly did not deserve to be on the list and forgot some artists that the writer considered perhaps more worthy, such as Johnny Marr , Al Di Meola , Phil Keaggy or John Petrucci . [ 3 ]
- TIME and others
- Following Les Paul's death , TIME's website featured its list of the top 10 artists on electric guitar . A the same as in the list of the magazine Rolling Stone , Jimi Hendrix was voted best guitarist, followed by Slash of Guns 'N' Roses , BB King , Keith Richards , Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton . [ 4 ] Gigwise.com, an online music magazine, also ranks Jimi Hendrix as the best guitarist ever, followed by Jimmy Page, BB King, Keith Richards and Kirk Hammett . [ 5 ]
There are many classical guitarists who are listed as notable in their respective eras.
In the last decades, the most "notable classical and cross genre guitarist" was Paco de Lucía , one of the first flamenco guitarists to successfully cross other genres of music such as classical and jazz. Richard Chapman and Eric Clapton , authors of Guitar: Music, History, Players , describe Lucia as a "titanic figure in the world of flamenco guitar ", [ 6 ] and Dennis Koster, author of Guitar Atlas, Flamenco , has referred to Lucía as "one of the best guitarists in history". . [ 7 ] [ 8 ]Another classical guitarist who has had great success is Tommy Emmanuel .
- "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" . Rolling Stone . September 18, 2003 . Retrieved December 1, 2011 .
- MacInnes, Paul (February 13, 2007). "Who are the 100 greatest guitarists of all time?" . London . Retrieved November 18, 2009 .
- The Theory (August 28, 2003). "The Top 100 Guitarists According to Rolling Stone" . Blogcritics . Archived from the original on June 5, 2013 . Retrieved November 18, 2009 .
- "The 10 Greatest Electric-Guitar Players" . TIME . August 14, 2009 . Retrieved November 18, 2009 .
- "The 50 Greatest Guitarists ... Ever!" . Gigwise.com . Retrieved January 14, 2010 .
- Chapman, Richard; Clapton, Eric (2000). Guitar: music, history, players. Dorling Kindersley Pub. p. 40. ISBN 978-0-7894-5963-3.
- Koster, Dennis (June 1, 2002). Guitar Atlas, Flamenco . Alfred Music Publishing. p. 5. ISBN 978-0-7390-2478-2 . Retrieved March 4, 2013 .
- "Paco de Lucía, Master Flamenco Guitarist, Dies at 66" . Retrieved March 26, 2014 .