gustaf-nagel-Areal - gustaf-nagel-Areal
The gustaf-nagel area ( original spelling : gustaf-nagel-areal )  is an area on the south bank of the Arendsee in Saxony-Anhalt . The area belonging to the city of Arendsee was the long-standing workplace of the life reformer Gustav Nagel (1874–1952). Nagel worked here in the first half of the 20th century as a preacher , healer , musician and horticultural artist . Remnants of some of the buildings he built are still there. He advocated a life close to nature and was a staunch vegetarianand propagated a simplified aural orthography . This is how he wrote his name gustaf nagel.
The so-called Kurhalle, which was built around 1930 on the steep bank of the lake, has been completely preserved. The polygonal hall was built from brick . The edge pillars are expressionistic and made of concrete . An ascent leads to the spa hall through a small gate, which also dates back to Nagel's time.
Only small remains of the lake temple , which was built between 1917 and 1930 and located directly on the shore of the lake, have survived . This also included the so-called temple grotto . The memorial niche created in 1928 for Nagel's mother Luise is better preserved.
In the summer of 1903, Nagel initially leased two acres of sand not far from the Pengel nursery in order to set up a Kneipp bath there. Surrounded by a wooden fence, a sun and shower bath, a lawn, a wooden barrack, several tents, a dovecote , a horizontal bar and several swings were created. There was a pool table in one of the tents . There were frequent disputes with the local population, which Nagel reported because of a lifestyle criticized as immoral. The facilities were destroyed several times.
In 1907 Nagel left the Arendsee and settled in Mardorf am Steinhuder Meer . In 1910, however, he returned to Arendsee and bought the area that was later named after him and which he himself called paradisgarten or garden eden . First of all, the artist built what is known as a seaman's grave . It was surrounded by a fence made of birch trunks and consisted of a cross, heart and anchor as symbols of faith, love and hope. On July 10, 1910, an inauguration ceremony took place on the lake property. Nagel built a harmonium house in which the harmonium was played. Another building close to the lake was the swan house . Which ended around 1920Sea temple rested on seven phallic columns . The windows were glazed with different colored glasses. Visitors paying admission should be able to enjoy the lake view in different colors from here. The temple grotto was located under the temple . It was built from concrete, slag , shell limestone and boulders. On the right in the grotto there was a representation of Otto von Bismarck's head . Above it was the inscription fear got . On the left the eternal fire was depicted with red serrated metal strips surrounded by pieces of charcoal . Several angel heads were attached above, and the inscription was belowbe German .
In 1929, Nagel began building his “Kurhalle”. After a construction freeze initially imposed by the authorities, residents turned to the administration and demanded immediate approval and the early completion of the hall. In the letter signed by 115 Arendsee citizens, the positive effects of Nagel's activities on the city and tourism were mentioned. In fact, the inauguration took place at Christmas 1930.
During the National Socialist era , the facility was closed by the authorities for the first time in 1935. Nagel was banned from speaking and was monitored by the Gestapo . In 1942, his buildings, the garden and the sculptures displayed there were repeatedly destroyed by Hitler Youth students. From July 1943 he himself was imprisoned as a " protective prisoner " in the Dachau concentration camp and in 1944 in the Uchtspringe mental hospitalhoused. He survived the National Socialist tyranny and stayed on the lake property again from May 1945. He restored his garden and again attracted attention for his political statements. In 1950 he was again admitted to the mental hospital, which he was not allowed to leave despite his best efforts. He died there in 1952.
Until 1990 the property was administered by the city of Arendsee. Gustav Nagel's heirs did not make use of their right of return after reunification . The area is currently being designed by gustaf nagel förderferein ef , which was founded in 1999 and which endeavors to maintain and repair the system. 
- Postcard image from 1929 : Nagel in his temple, playing the trumpet between phallic columns with black, white and red flags, with his son.
- Andreas Cante, Dehio, Handbook of German Art Monuments , Saxony-Anhalt I, Magdeburg District , Deutscher Kunstverlag Munich Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-422-03069-7 , p. 35.
- Reno Metz, Eckehard Schwarz, Arendsee - gustaf nagel and arendse - pictures from a bygone era , Wartberg Verlag Gudensberg-Gleichen 2000, ISBN 3-86134-662-1 , p. 55 ff.
- Self-portrait of the operator of the plant, documented here with photographs .
- Andreas Cante, Dehio, Handbuch der Deutschen Kunstdenkmäler, Saxony-Anhalt I, administrative region Magdeburg , Deutscher Kunstverlag Munich Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-422-03069-7 , p. 35.