High school Petrinum Recklinghausen - Gymnasium Petrinum Recklinghausen
|High school Petrinum Recklinghausen|
|type of school||Humanistisches Gymnasium|
|carrier||City of Recklinghausen|
|management||Michael Rembiak ||
The grammar school Petrinum, named after the apostle Peter , is one of the oldest schools in the region. The exact founding date of the school can no longer be determined, as the old school building burned down completely in a major city fire in 1500. However, the Petrinum was mentioned as early as 1421 in the Westerholt family archive . It is believed that a Latin school was established a few years after Recklinghausen was granted town charter in 1236 . After the foundation of the Franciscan monasteryIn 1642 the city tried to entrust the religious community with the management of the city's Latin school. After all, the Franciscans were called “to teach the youth in Latin and religion” (“ad iuventutem tam in lingua Latina quam in catechesi instruendam”), as stated in the monastery foundation deed of April 4, 1642 .  However, it was not until August 23, 1730 that the consent of Cologne Elector and Archbishop Clemens August of Bavaria to found a Franciscan high school was obtained, which was financed by collections from the Franciscans and city funds.
In the course of secularization, the Franciscan monastery was dissolved and the school was again placed under the supervision of the city from 1820. First it became a higher city school, then the Royal Prussian grammar school. Since then, the Petrinum has been a state school, which was also supported by the grammar school fund founded in 1793 by Archbishop Maximilian Franz von Habsburg , the last Elector of Cologne . The Abitur has been offered at the Petrinum since 1829 . A formative teacher personality was Wilhelm Caspers, who taught for 52 years at the Petrinum grammar school,  and after whom the Caspersgässchen not far from the school is named. Heinrich Bone was one of the teachers at the school(1813–1893), who headed the Petrinum grammar school from 1856 to 1859. In 1929, the entrepreneur Carl Still founded the Carl Still Prize, which serves to promote the scholarship.
Today the school is one of five high schools in Recklinghausen . Around 760 students in grades 5 to Q2 (12) are currently attending the school. A total of about 50 teachers teach (see list of staff on the school website). The school grounds on the former city wall consist of a renovated old building and a new building. There are also two gyms, a cafeteria, a sports field, a school garden and a historic grammar school church (see below). A special feature is, among other things, the possibility for students to start with Latin from the fifth grade . There is also the possibility of studying ancient Greek from the eighth gradeto learn. The Petrinum thus follows its humanistic and ancient language tradition to this day.
During its history, the grammar school had different locations in the center of Recklinghausen. The Petrinum was originally located as a Latin school near St. Peter's Church. From 1797 teaching was carried out in the tower school (today the Icon Museum), which had been built for the Franciscan high school with funds from the high school fund set up by the last elector of Cologne. After secularizationIn 1835 a larger school building was built in the area of the Franciscan monastery next to the Franciscan Church (now the grammar school church). This building existed until it was destroyed in 1944. In 1911, the first phase of a representative neo-renaissance building was completed on the city's new Wallring. The second construction phase on Herzogswall, planned from 1915, was not started and never realized because of the World War. In the years 1949 to 1951, lessons and teaching materials were outsourced to the Freiherr-vom-Stein-Schule on Westerholter Weg (then a secondary school) for two years in order to be able to undertake extensive renovation and expansion work at the Petrinum grammar school. A second building complex was not built until 1955/56, which was followed by a modern new building along the Herzogswall in 1980. In 2011 the area was expanded,
The current old building of the Petrinum was built in 1911 in the neo-renaissance style next to the already existing grammar school church. He provides the classrooms for the upper level and the staff room. In addition, since 1955 he has had a large auditorium that is used for concerts and theater performances. The bistro and the Blauer Hahn gallery are located in the basement. An extension to the grammar school church, the so-called seminar building (this is where the first study seminar for teacher training was located after the Second World War), has housed the cafeteria since 2011.
The new building was completed in 1982 and houses the classrooms for the lower and middle grades as well as the science classrooms (expanded in 2011). A large sports hall is also connected. The large tartan square in front of the new building serves as a school yard during breaks and as an additional space for physical education during lessons. The old and new buildings are connected by a bridge.
Historical grammar school church (formerly Franciscan church)
The construction of the Franciscan Church began on June 16, 1658 by resolution of the convent of the Franciscan monastery, which was newly founded in 1642. The main nave was completed twelve years later. Since a town fire that broke out in the monastery in 1686 also destroyed most of the church, it had to be rebuilt in 1686. The consecration was carried out by Auxiliary Bishop Johannes Werden de Veyder, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Cologne, on the occasion of a company trip to Vest Recklinghausen on May 9, 1706. The main altar and the church of St. Mary were consecrated as Immaculata Conceptio. In 1716 the roof turret with two bells was added.
The community of Franciscans of the "Conventus Richlinghusanus Ordinis Sancti Francisci Fratrum Minorum", which includes up to thirty lay brothers and fathers, exercised pastoral care not only in the neighboring villages of Vestes Recklinghausen and the castles of the vestic nobility, but also in the predominantly Protestant areas of the county Mark (e.g. Crange, Eickel). The church and monastery were of particular importance as a regular meeting place for the vestry estates (knighthood and the cities of Dorsten and Recklinghausen). The 229-sheet codex “Liber conventus Richlinghusani Ordinis Sancti Francisci Fratrum Minorum Strictioris Oberservantiae ...”, the monastery register from 1704 and 1768, is available in the Recklinghausen city archive .
The church was built in the simplicity of a Franciscan church as a 28.70 m long and 8.60 m wide hall building. The cross vaults rest on neo-baroque pillars (double pilasters), which were added to decorate the church in 1927/28. The higher choir room still reflects its use as a monastery church: there was space for twenty monks in the choir stalls. A choir stand now carries the Gospels in the Provost Church of St. Peter. The likewise baroque side altars show Francis of Assisi and Anthony of Padua in the simple vestments of the “Friars Minor”, as the mendicant order called itself. Francis bears the attribute of a book of the Gospels (originally also a cross) as symbols of the discipleship of Jesus and a skull as a reminder of creature and creation in general.Anton Joseph Stratmann(1732–1807) from Geseke. The high altar from 1790 shows the figure of the church patron Mary under the dove in a halo, the symbol of God's creative spirit. She is represented here as "Immaculata", ie as the mother of Jesus Christ, who was involved in God's act of redemption and was therefore free from human involvement and guilt from birth. The church's altars and stalls (18th century) are the work of the Franciscan brothers Agapitus Mertens and Alphäus Rinklage, who also furnished the monastery churches in Hamm and Warendorf. A triumphal cross (18th century) as well as old pews and two confessionals complete the furnishings. The large stations of the cross in the Nazarene style hang today in the parish church of St. Paul, the baroque ray monstrance in the treasury of the provost church of St. Peter.
Externally, the church was redesigned in a classical style in 1838 and received a new facade facing the city. In 1927/28, today's imposing facade was added to the Große-Geldstraße with the relocation of the entrance from the street to the side. The bell tower was redesigned and copper-plated in 2003/04 based on the historical model.
In 1802 the church and the monastery became the property of the Duke of Arenberg , who later gave both to the city as a gift. In 1835 the monastery was dissolved by Prussia and the church became the property of the Petrinum grammar school. The Franciscans were already entrusted with the management of a Franciscan high school (1730–1820), after a renovation in 1839 their monastery church became a high school church for the neighboring Petrinum,  in the first half of the 20th century also for the secondary schools.
During the occupation of the Ruhr area by the French occupation troops in 1923/24, the Petrinum was the seat of the French divisional commander and the grammar school church was used as a garrison church. Services were held in French . In 1944 the church was bombed in an attack during World War II. After the repair work in 1946, the parish masses of the destroyed provost church of St. Peter took place here until 1950. In 2014/2015 the grammar school church was extensively renovated and partially restored. 
In the church there is a service for the lower school students every Tuesday, services for different grades during the school year as well as services on the occasion of the start of school for the 5th grade, the graduation celebrations and before the summer and Christmas holidays. It is also used at weddings, exhibitions and readings.
The grammar school has a historical teachers' library, which has been properly developed and conserved by the University and State Library of the Westphalian Wilhelms University of Münster (ULB).  The basis of this library were about 350 volumes, which could acquire the first director of the High School (1829-1832) with a donation of the Duke of Arenberg. In addition, older holdings from the monastery library of the Franciscans, who ran the Latin school in Recklinghausen until 1820, and from the "Vestische Schulbibliothek", which was established in 1798 as part of efforts to reform schools in Vest Recklinghausenwas taken over. Today the library has around 10,000 volumes. Including 40 books published in the 16th century, 80 in the 17th century and 630 in the 18th century.
The grammar school maintains extensive contacts with the Lycée Albert Châtelet in Douai (France), the Steyning Grammar School (southern England), the Terra Santa College in Chan al-Ifranǧ (Khan Al Franj) in Akko (Israel) and the Colegio Salesiano del Pilar (Spain), with which annual exchange programs are practiced.
An indoor soccer tournament, the so-called Reike Cup, has been held every year since 1983. There, former high school classes, the current upper school classes and a team of teachers compete against each other on the last Saturday before Christmas Eve in the school's new sports hall and the sports hall on Kuniberg. The tournament was named after the former headmaster Josef Reike.
after graduation year
- Heinrich Bone (1813–1893), philologist and teacher, composer of numerous hymns, director of the Petrinum - Abiturientia 1831 from 1856 to 1859
- Eduard von Pape (1816–1888), lawyer, President of the Commission for the Development of a General German Civil Code (BGB), honorary citizen of Leipzig - Abiturientia 1833
- Julius Evelt (1823–1879), church historian - Abiturientia 1841
- Albert von Maybach (1822–1904), Prussian minister, German railway coordinator - Abiturientia 1842
- Theodor Janknecht (Pater Gregor) (1829–1896), Franciscan Provincial, pioneer of the order after secularization and in the Kulturkampf in Germany, Brazil and the USA - high school graduation in 1848
- Johannes Janssen (1829–1891), historian, Prussian MP, Apostolic Protonotary - Abiturientia 1849
- Hermann Landois (1835–1905), Professor of Zoology - Abiturientia 1856
- Arnold Nieberding (1838–1912), State Secretary in the Reich Justice Office - Abiturientia 1856
- Karl Ernst Schrod (1841–1914), professor of pastoral theology, auxiliary bishop in Trier - high school graduation in 1860
- Hermann Schultz (1878–1953), administrative lawyer - Abiturientia 1897
- Heinrich Weber (1888–1946), professor of Christian social science, co-founder of Caritaswissenschaft - Abiturientia 1908
- Thomas Ohm (1892–1962), Benedictine priest, professor of missiology, member of the Pontifical Commission for the Preparation of the Second Vatican Council - Abiturientia 1912
- Paulus Tillmann (1906–1984), lawyer and priest, from 1947 founder of the eight boarding schools of the Studienwerk for displaced students eV - Abiturientia 1926
- Gisbert Greshake (* 1933), Professor of Dogmatics and Ecumenical Theology - Abiturientia 1954
- Martin Geck (1936–2019), professor of musicology - high school graduation in 1955
- Wilhelm Tolksdorf (* 1936), Brigadier General - Abiturientia 1957
- Siegbert A. Warwitz (* 1937), professor (experimental psychology, risk research and traffic education), author - Abiturientia 1957
- Bodo Primus (* 1938), actor and literary reciter
- Dieter Borchmeyer (* 1941), Professor of Modern German Literature and Theater Studies, President of the Bavarian Academy of Fine Arts - Abitur graduation in 1961
- Dirk Böcker (* 1945), Lieutenant General of the Air Force ret. D., former Deputy Inspector General of the Bundeswehr - Abiturientia 1965
- Thilo Sarrazin (* 1945), former Senator for Finance in the Berlin Senate. D., former board member of the Deutsche Bundesbank, author - Abiturientia 1965
- Rainer Maria Klaas (* 1950), pianist - high school graduation 1968
- Bernd Wilmert (* 1952), economist and manager - high school graduation in 1971
- Werner Plumpe (* 1954), professor (economic and social history) - high school graduation in 1973
- Thomas Kufus (* 1957), television director and producer - high school graduation in 1976
- Axel Kufus (* 1958), product designer and university professor - high school graduation 1977
- Jochem Ahmann (* 1957), artist and designer (installation, painting, drawing, photography and performance) - Abiturientia 1978
- Stefan Zekorn (* 1959), auxiliary bishop in the diocese of Münster - high school graduation 1978
- Albrecht Geck (* 1962), Protestant theologian - high school graduation in 1981
- Britta Becker (* 1965), director ( The best women in the world ) - Abiturientia 1984
- Hans-Joachim Heßler (* 1968), composer
- Ana-Marija Markovina (* 1970), Klassische Pianistin
- Heiko Sakurai (* 1971), political cartoonist ( Miss Tschörmänie ) - high school graduation in 1990
- Bernd J. Hartmann (* 1973), Professor of Public Law, Business Law and Administrative Sciences - Abitur graduation 1993
- Sebastian Fritz: Between Propaganda and Reality: School Sports at the Petrinum in the Nazi Era , in: Petrinum 39 (2007), pp. 115–122.
- Theo Kemper, Ludger Linneborn, Georg Möllers, Petra Peveling, Heribert Seifert, Axel Vering (eds.): 175 years Abitur at the Gymnasium Petrinum Recklinghausen 1829–2004. Edition Petrinum, Recklinghausen 2004.
- Ludger Linneborn, Georg Möllers, Heribert Seifert (eds.): "The lessons continued on time". On the history of the Petrinum grammar school in Recklinghausen from 1933–1945, Klartext Verlag , Essen, 2016.
- Georg Möllers, Ludger Linneborn (ed.): Gymnasialkirche Recklinghausen 1658–2008: 350 years of town, school and church history as reflected in the former Franciscan church. Edition Petrinum, Recklinghausen 2008.
- Georg Möllers: Eduard Pape and Arnold Nieberding wrote legal history. Two Petrines as the fathers of the Civil Code , in: Petrinum 44 (2012), pp. 110–117.
- Theo Schulte Coerne, The Petrinum in the 19th Century: A Recklinghausen High School in the Field of Tension Between State and Church , in: Vestischer Kalender 2013, ed. v. Matthias Kordes, Recklinghausen 2012, pp. 198–206.
- Ludger Linneborn, Georg Möllers, Michael Rembiak, Marco Zerwas (eds.): Heinrich Bone - philologist, pedagogue, Petriner. A scholarly life in the 19th century. Edition Petrinum, Recklinghausen 2018.
- Paul Verres: Festschrift for the five hundredth anniversary of the city. High school in Recklinghausen. Printed by J. Bauer, Recklinghausen 1929.
- Official website
- (The) Petrinum. The School Magazine, Issue 1 (1956) - 50 (2018)
- Official website
- Association of the former Petriner e. V.
- Historical teacher library of the Petrinum grammar school in the University and State Library of Münster
- Homepage of the Josef Reike Cup
- Ludwig Adolf Wiese : The higher school system in Prussia. Historical-statistical representation. Berlin 1864, p. 307
- Theodor Schulte-Coerne: Professor Wilhelm Caspers. A Recklinghausen teacher's life in the 19th century . In: Vestischer Kalender , vol. 86 (2015), pp. 253–256.
- 350 years of the grammar school church . In: Kirche + Leben , January 28, 2008.
- Alfred Pfeffer: A piece of jewelry is being polished up. At Pentecost, the grammar school church in the old town opens in new splendor . In: Recklinghäuser Zeitung from February 11, 2015.
- Historical teachers' library of the Petrinum grammar school