|Species :|| Hibiscus syriacus |
Hibiscus syriacus is a species of floral plant. It is grown asornamental flower in many parts of the world and is commonly known as pink Syria , altea , sigh , [ 1 ] Granado white , mauve Real de Sevilla , Marshmallow arboreal [ 2 ] or wasp . In Anglo-America it is called Rose of Sharon but more commonly as hibiscus and is deciduous .
It is a plant native to Asia , which can reach between 2 and 4 meters in height, and can grow as a shrub or small tree . Generally, it is grown in places where summers are very hot, for its attractive flowers. These can be of various colors: white, pink, red, purple, etc. Each flower has a short life (about a day), but since the plant produces many, several can always be appreciated. The flowering period is from spring to fall . [ 3 ]
Hibiscus syriacus is the national flower of South Korea , appearing on various national emblems. In the national anthem of this country Korea is compared to this flower. [ 4 ] The flower's name in Korean is Mugunghwa ( Hangul : 무궁화; Hanja : 無窮 花).
This plant can be propagated by cuttings or seeds. [ 5 ]
Easy to care for, it adapts perfectly to pollution in cities. In addition, it can grow in all types of soils, although it is preferable that it is fertilized and rich in nitrogen, benefiting the density and quality of the foliage. Pruning can be done in winter. As for the waterings, they must be frequent and abundant in summer and before flowering occurs.
- Hibiscus acerifolius Salisb.
- Hibiscus floridus Salisb.
- Hibiscus rhombifolius Cav.
- Ketmia arborea Moench
- Syrian Ketmia ( L. ) DC.
- Ketmia Syrian Medik. [ 6 ]
- la Peña, Martin Rodolfo (1997). Catalog of common names of the Argentine flora: (preliminary list) . Santa Fe, Argentina: Publications Center, Universidad Nacional del Litoral. ISBN 987-508-009-8 . Retrieved February 24, 2017 .
- Colmeiro, Miguel: «Dictionary of the diverse vulgar names of many usual or notable plants of the old and new world», Madrid, 1871.
- Hibiscus syriacus at www.centralpark.com Archived April 2, 2010, at the Wayback Machine . (in English)
- National symbols of Korea
- Hibiscus syriacus in www.pfaf.org (English)
- " Hibiscus syriacus " . Tropicos.org. Missouri Botanical Garden . Retrieved November 12, 2014 .
- Lawton, Barbara Perry (2004). Hibiscus: Hardy and Tropical Plants for the Garden. Timber Press. p. 36. ISBN 978-0-88192-654-5.
- In Botanical Epithets
- Bailey, LH (2005). Manual of Gardening (Second Edition). Gutenberg Project Literary Archive . (in English)
- Curtis, William (2006). The Botanical Magazine, Vol. 3 . Gutenberg Project Literary Archive . (in English)
- CONABIO, 2009. Taxonomic catalog of Mexican species. chap. nat. Mexico 1.
- Flora of China Editorial Committee, 2007. Fl. China Vol. 12.