I Army Corps (Republican side) - I Cuerpo de Ejército (Bando republicano)
|I Army Corps|
|Active||March 22, 1937 - March 27, 1939|
|Rama/s||Regular People's Army|
| Domingo Moriones |
Luis Barceló Jover
|Wars and battles|
|Spanish Civil War|
The I Army Corps was a military formation belonging to the People's Army of the Republic that fought during the Spanish Civil War . Located in the Madrid Front, he participated in the Segovia offensive and in the Casado coup .
The First Army Corps was created on March 22, 1937, [ 1 ] within the Army of the Center , grouping the 1st , 2nd , 3rd and 10th divisions . He had his command post in La Pedriza de Manzanares . [ 2 ] Some forces belonging to the First Army Corps took part in the Segovia offensive in June 1937. [ 3 ] They did not intervene in other relevant operations.
In March 1939, when the Casado coup took place , I Corps forces positioned themselves against the "casadista" faction and took several key positions in the capital. [ 4 ] The unit's commander, Colonel Luis Barceló , [ 5 ] led the resistance against the "casadista" forces. In a short time most of Madrid fell into the hands of Barceló. [ 6 ]
- Colonel Domingo Moriones Larraga ; [ 8 ]
- Lieutenant Colonel Luis Barceló Jover ;
- Lieutenant Colonel José Gallego Pérez ;
- Chiefs of Staff
- Commander of the General Staff Ángel Lamas Arroyo ;
- Lieutenant Colonel of the General Staff Julio Suárez-Llanos Adriansens ; [ 10 ]
Order of battle
| || || || |
|March 1937||Center Army||1.ª , 2.ª , 3.ª y 10.ª||Sierra de Madrid|
|December 1937||Center Army||1.ª , 2.ª , 3.ª y 69.ª||Sierra de Madrid|
|March-April 1938||Center Army||1.ª , 2.ª y 69.ª||Sierra de Madrid|
- Beevor , Antony (2005). The Spanish Civil War . Critical Editorial.
- Cabanellas , Guillermo (1975). The war of a thousand days: birth, life and death of the II Spanish Republic II . Buenos Aires: Heliasta.
- —— (1978). The Civil War and victory . Thebes.
- Engel , Carlos (1999). History of the Mixed Brigades of the People's Army of the Republic . Madrid: Almena. ISBN 84-922644-7-0 .
- Martínez Bande , José Manuel (1981). The battle of Pozoblanco and the closure of the Merida stock market . Madrid: Editorial San Martín.
- Montoliú , Pedro (2000). Madrid in the civil war: The story . Madrid: Silex. ISBN 84-7737-072-9 .
- Thomas , Hugh (1976). History of the Spanish Civil War . Barcelona: Circle of Readers. ISBN 84-226-0874-X .
- Zaragoza , Cristóbal (1983). People's Army and Military of the Republic, 1936-1939 . Barcelona: Ed. Planeta.