Infantry Regiment "Graf Barfuß" (4th Westphalian) No. 17 - Infanterie-Regiment „Graf Barfuß“ (4. Westfälisches) Nr. 17

Infantry Regiment "Graf Barfuß" (4th Westphalian) No. 17

active July 1, 1813 to April 15, 1919
State Prussia KingdomKingdom of Prussia/Prussia KingdomKingdom of Prussia Prussia
Armed forces Prussian Army
Branch of service Infantry
Insinuation VII. , X. , XIV. , XVI. , XXI. Armee-Korps
Former locations including Münster , Düsseldorf , Wesel , Hanover , Braunschweig , Strasbourg , Mulhouse , Metz , Mörchingen , Saarbrücken , Saarburg
Colours Red (collar, lapels and regimental number), yellow (flap), light blue (shoulder flap)
Reservist picture (from 1910) of a member of the 6th company of the regiment.

The Infantry Regiment "Graf Barefoot" (4th Westphalian) No. 17 was an infantry joined the Prussian army .

history

The regiment was on July 1, 1813 (foundation day) from the III. Musketeer and the 1st and 2nd reserve battalions of the Grenadier Regiment "King Friedrich I." (4th East Prussian) No. 5 established as the 5th Reserve Regiment (this had taken up the remains of the old regiment from No. 4 ) ). Three battalions (from 1815 fusilier battalion) were established; in 1813 one of the 3rd Lithuanian Reserve Fusilier Battalion was formed and distributed among the others; they were united in Potsdam .

On December 12, 1813, the regiment was disbanded and on March 25, 1815, it was re-established as the 17th Infantry Regiment . In 1859 there were heavy duties (including to officers) to Regiment No. 57 . On September 27, 1866, the 13th, 14th and 15th companies were transferred to Regiment No. 86 and on April 1, 1881, the 12th Company to Infantry Regiment No. 130 .

On April 1, 1887, an IV Battalion was made up of the 10th Company of Regiment No. 74 , the 6th Company of Regiment No. 78 , the 6th Company of Regiment No. 91 and the 7th Company of Regiment No. 73 founded. This IV Battalion was transferred to Regiment No. 143 on April 1, 1890 , and a new IV (half) battalion was founded on October 2, 1893. This IV Battalion was transferred to Regiment No. 173 on April 1, 1897 .

In 1889 Kaiser Wilhelm II gave a regiment founded in 1813 the honorary name "Graf Barfuß", which it carried until it was dissolved after the First World War :

“I want to honor the memory of General Field Marshal Grafen Barfuß and keep it permanently alive in My Army by giving the 4th Westphalian Infantry Regiment No. 17 the name Infantry Regiment Graf Barfuß (4th Westphalian) No. 17 . I gave the regiment this distinction because it emerged from the 4th East Prussian Infantry Regiment, the part of the troops that took in the remains of the old Barefoot Regiment. I know that the regiment will always live up to its new name and will maintain its well-founded reputation for bravery and loyalty into the distant future. "

- Berlin, January 27, 1889 signed Wilhelm [1]

Locations

Postcard, used in 1904, with barracks of the regiment in Mörchingen .

Naming

Seal of the regiment
  • ab 1. Juli 1813: 5. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment
  • from March 25, 1815: 17th Infantry Regiment
  • from November 5, 1816: 17th Infantry Regiment (4th Westphalian)
  • from March 10, 1823: 17th Infantry Regiment
  • from July 4, 1860: 4th Westphalian Infantry Regiment No. 17
  • from January 24th, 1889: Infantry Regiment "Graf Barfuß" (4th Westphalian) No. 17

Calls

In 1813/14 the regiment took part in the Wars of Liberation , which were part of the coalition wars : the siege of Wittenberg (1813/14) , the enclosure of Wesel in 1813, the storming of Zutphen in 1813, the storming of Arnhem in 1813 and the siege of Soissons 1814. In the course of the German Revolution , the regiment took part in the capture of the city in May 1849 after the Iserlohn uprising was suppressed and during the Baden Revolution, among other things, in the battles at Waghäusel and Durlach .

In the German War , the regiment fought at the Battle of Münchengrätz and the Battle of Königgrätz . In the Franco-Prussian War , theaters of war with the participation of the regiment were the Battle of Gravelotte , the Siege of Metz , the Battle of Bellevue and the Battle of Orléans .

First World War

On July 31, 1914, the regiment mobilized on the occasion of the First World War . In addition to the back end of the field regiment it turned a reserve battalion to four companies and two recruits - depots on. On September 24, 1918, the regiment received its own mine thrower company, which was formed from parts of mine thrower company No. 42.

Whereabouts

Reservist jug (from 1907) of a soldier who was "Graf Barfuß" No. 17 for the IR.

After the end of the war , the regimental staff and the 1st battalion were demobilized from December 6, 1918, initially in Weilburg , and the 2nd battalion in Löhnberg . The demobilization continued in Ronneburg from December 29, 1919 and was completed by the end of January 1919. The regiment was then disbanded on April 15, 1919.

On December 18, 1918, a volunteer border guard division was formed from demobilized parts under the command of Major Stobbe, who later transferred to the 2nd Landess Rifle Brigade, as well as a volunteer company of 17th infantry regiment. Regiment 8 and the volunteer company in the Reichswehr Brigade 4.

The tradition in the Reichswehr was taken over by the 1st Company of the 18th Infantry Regiment in Paderborn by decree of the Chief of the Army Command, General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt .

Regimentschefs

King Friedrich Wilhelm IV appointed Grand Duke Ludwig III on October 23, 1843 . from Hesse and the Rhine to the regiment chief . After his death, this position was vacant from June 14, 1877 until Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig was appointed as the new head of the regiment on June 16, 1913.

Commanders

Postcard, sent in 1908, with the regimental commander's villa in Mörchingen.
Rank Name Date [2]
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Karl von Gagern 0 July 1, 1813 to November 27, 1829
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Heinrich von Holleben November 28, 1829 to March 29, 1836
Oberst Alexander von Klüchzner March 30, 1836 to June 15, 1838
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Friedrich von Notz June 16, 1838 to March 8, 1843
Oberst Friedrich Wilhelm Malotki von Trzebiatowski 0 March 9, 1843 to November 1, 1844
Oberst Karl Wilhelm Bonsac 0 November 2, 1844 to January 1, 1849
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Ludwig von Nolte 0 January 2, 1849 to April 27, 1854
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Bogislaw von Ciesielski 0 4. May 1854 bis 6. May 1857
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Albert von Klaß 0 May 7, 1857 to June 30, 1860
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel August von Dewitz 0 July 1, 1860 to June 12, 1865
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Georg von Wedell June 13, 1865 to April 2, 1866
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Hugo von Kottwitz 0 April 3, 1866 to July 15, 1870
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Franz von Ehrenberg July 16, 1870 to November 10, 1871
Lieutenant colonel Anton von Massow November 11, 1871 to January 17, 1872 (in charge of the tour)
Oberst Anton von Massow January 18, 1872 to September 21, 1877
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Friedrich von Vogel September 22, 1877 to October 16, 1878
Oberst Hermann von Vietinghoff October 17, 1878 to April 14, 1884
Oberst Richard by Otto April 15, 1884 to June 16, 1887
Oberst Viktor von Aigner July 17, 1887 to August 11, 1890
Oberst Karl von Funck August 12, 1890 to February 23, 1894
Oberst Karl von Rodewald February 24, 1894 to April 16, 1897
Oberst Clamor from Trotha April 17, 1897 to February 10, 1900
Oberst Karl von Weise February 17, 1900 to April 17, 1903
Oberst Walther Schultze-Klosterfelde April 18, 1903 to March 15, 1905
Oberst Ernst Stocker March 16, 1905 to April 9, 1906
Dignity. Colonel Karl von Göz April 10, 1906 to March 23, 1909
Oberst Maximilian Zipper March 24, 1909 to April 21, 1912
Oberst Eggert from Estorff April 22, 1912 to September 28, 1914
Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel Eduard von Kaweczynski September 29, 1914 to July 23, 1819
Major Otto Stobbe July 24, 1918 to January 19, 1919
Oberst Karl Hermann Lockemann January 20 to April 14, 1919

literature

Partially faded cover of the regimental history from 1934
  • DH Berg (Hrsg.): Festschrift for the consecration of the monument for the fallen heroes of Inf.-Rgts Graf Barfuß (4th Westphalia) No. 17 and for the 2nd reunion on August 13th to 15th, 1927 in Gronau in Westphalia.
  • F. Fielitz: The Infantry Regiment "Graf Barfuß" (4th Westphalian) No. 17 in the World War 1914–1918. Richard Zieschank, Ronneburg SA, undated (approx. 1920).
  • Karl Held, Otto Stobbe: The Royal. Prussia. Infantry Regt. Count Barfuß (4. Westf.) No. 17 in World War 1914/18, compiled from the war diaries and the records of some war participants. In: Deutsche Tat im WW 1914/1918, stories of the fighting of German troops. Volume 25, Bernard Graefe, Berlin 1934.
  • Waldemar Kahler: Brief History of the Infantry Regiment Graf Barfuß (4th Westphalian) No. 17. ES Mittler & Sohn, Berlin 1913.
  • Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 , p. 58.
  • Pohlmann: History of the infantry regiment Graf Barfuss (4th Westphalian) No. 17 in the nineteenth century. ES Mittler & Sohn, Berlin 1906.

Weblinks

  • IR 17th (HTML) Infantry Regiment Graf Barfuß (4th Westphalian) No. 17. In: wiki-de.genealogy.net. GenWiki , April 15, 2020, p. 5 , accessed August 26, 2020 .

Individual evidence

  1. ^ Wilhelm Bussler: Prussian generals and heroes . Schloessmann, Gotha, 1890, Volume 1, p. 102; also in Georg Pohlmann: History of the Infantry Regiment Graf Barfuss (4th Westphalian) No. 17 in the 19th century . Mittler, Berlin 1906, p. 264
  2. ^ Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The occupation of the active infantry regiments as well as Jäger and MG battalions, military district commandos and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 , pp. 85-87 .