Infantry Regiment "Lübeck" (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162 - Infanterie-Regiment „Lübeck“ (3. Hanseatisches) Nr. 162
Infantry Regiment "Lübeck" (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162
|active||1897 to 1919|
|State||Free and Hanseatic City of Lübeck|
|Armed forces||Prussian Army|
|Branch of service||Infantry|
|Tribe list||New Prussian infantry regiments|
|Marsch|| Prussia March (AM II, 24) |
The Infantry Regiment Lübeck (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162 was an association of the Prussian Army . During the First World War it fought on the Western Front and was baptized by fire at the Battle of Noyon.
Since the Hanseatic cities of Bremen , Hamburg and Lübeck had problems with the provision of enough conscripts , no restrictions were made for one-year-olds and the reserve requirement for overseas conscripts was suspended.
According to § 9  of this convention, the military with Lübeck citizenship were called up to the regiment stationed in Lübeck , unless they expressed the wish to be deployed elsewhere. Unfit for infantry service could lead to the drafting into another branch of arms such as cavalry , artillery , train etc. of the royal Prussian army . 
Eve of the First World War
- IX. Army Corps in Altona
- IX. Reserve-Korps in Altona
- 17. Reserve-Division in Schwerin
81st Infantry Brigade in Lübeck
- Infantry Regiment "Lübeck" (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162
- Schleswig-Holstein Infantry Regiment No. 163 in Neumünster
- 81st Infantry Brigade in Lübeck
- 17. Reserve-Division in Schwerin
Division of War of March 28, 1918
- IX. Reserve-Korps
During the First World War
The regiment in the 17th Reserve Division belonged to the 1st Army at the beginning of the First World War . At the end of September 1915, the XI. Reserve Corps from the 1st Army to the 6th Army (Crown Prince Rupprecht ) and in July 1916 was again subordinated to the 1st Army under General Below , which belonged to the Gallwitz Army Group . After the Battle of the Somme , it joined the 4th Army under Duke Albrecht von Württemberg in October 1916 . After the spring battle of Arras the regiment came to the group "Arras" within the 6th Army. On November 14th, the 17th Reserve Division of the "Wytschaete" group was placed under the 4th Army. During the Battle of Ypres, the division was under the XVIII. Reserve Corps under General Sieger . From June 1918, Matz offensive, the division fought in the 1st Reserve Corps of the 18th Army under General Hutier . In September 1918 the regiment came back to the 2nd Army as Army Group Reserve of the “Combres” group and then the “Mihiel” group. At the end of September it was two weeks of Army Group Reserve for the “Maas-West” group before it returned to the 2nd Army, from which it was released on October 25, 1918.
- 1st and 2nd battalion in Lübeck
- III. Bataillon in Eutin
- The formation of a machine gun company ordered in March 1909 was carried out on October 1 through detachments within the regiment. A building was specially built for the company.
- The end of June 1916, within the regiment a new unit, the infantry - Pioneer - company , set up. It consisted of the telephone staff , the light signal lists , dog handlers , the disinfection and drainage troops , the grenade launchers and their waitresses and other special construction crews. This company was soon named construction company .
- In November 1916, an MG company was set up in each battalion. Using the field machine-gun platoon 317, a 2nd and 3rd machine-gun companies were set up.
- From May 1917 onwards, all those serving in communications were combined into the communications department within the regiment.
- In September 1917 an assault detachment was formed for the raid troop procedure . The members of that department wore a blue ribbon with the Lübeck white and red coat of arms on their left forearm. The process was developed by General Hutier on the Eastern Front during the war. The enemy called it the "Hutier tactic" (see also storm battalion ).
- On September 5, 1918, the regiment received its own mortar company with the help of MW Company 217 .
- In September 1918, the regiment's communications center was disbanded. Each battalion received its own communications platoon.
- In March newly built 13th and 14th Company was on 23 May 1915 its leaders, the lieutenant of the reserve Buchenau and Simon, to the newly-formed Infantry Regiment. 187  assigned.
- At the beginning of September 1916, the 4th Company was relinquished to reorganize Infantry Regiment 394.
Armament and equipment
- The regiment was armed with the Gewehr 88 and the Seitengewehr 71 . The Gewehr 98 was used from 1906 .
- From 1909 the 3rd Company (1st Battalion) became a machine gun company
- As the first new weapon in trench warfare, the regiment used the mine thrower from January 1915 .
- From the summer of 1915, gas protection equipment was standard equipment in the trench
- From July 1916, flamethrowers were used in the regiment .
- At that time gas was first used as a weapon by the regiment.
- From October 1916 the regiment was equipped with steel helmets .
- From November 1916, a machine gun company was created in each battalion. Grenade launchers were assigned to each company as additional auxiliary weapons . The best shooters were snipers and equipped with telescopic rifles . The coordinate system was introduced to facilitate the coordination of terrain points .
The regiment wore the Prussian uniform with the changes granted to the Hanseatic City of Lübeck. The Hanseatic cockade (red Hanseatic cross on a white background) was worn on the helmet and cap in addition to the black-white-red imperial cockade.
"At the helm , the German cockade right, the Landeskokarde is worn on the left. The German cockade is affixed to the right of the shako , chapka and the fur hat of the hussars, the standard is in the color of the state cockade, on the field, umbrella and service cap the state cockade sits on the trim strip and the German cockade above it on the center of the base cloth, Unless special awards to be worn on the hat require a further gap between the two cockades. "
The armpit flaps were white with a red number (162), the sleeve flaps were white with yellow piping.
As early as August 1914, on the journey to France near Aachen, field-gray cloth was handed out to cover inappropriately luminous parts of uniform.
In the summer of 1915 the long swords of the officers and sergeants disappeared from the front, whereby the clothing and equipment were adapted to those of the men in order to prevent further high losses of leaders.
coat of arms
The regiment adorned itself with the heraldic animal of the Free and Hanseatic City of Lübeck . The only exception was the flag, as it was not the Lübeck eagle but the Prussian eagle.
The appearance of the flags of the line infantry regiments of the Prussian Army was regulated according to the corps to which the regiment belonged . 
On October 16, 1897, the Emperor awarded the 1st Battalion his flag, which he handed over to the regimental commander. The 2nd Battalion had kept its old flag, but received a new flag for the imperial maneuver in 1904 a few days beforehand so that they could be handed over to the parade. The flags stood on the altar of their garrison church , the Lübeck Cathedral, for worship .
In 1912 the Hanseatic City of Lübeck awarded the 1st and 2nd Battalions of its regiment flag ribbons. 
The flags were brought back to Lübeck from the field in 1915 because their use in combat no longer corresponded to the conduct of the war and required unnecessary sacrifices. In a service in 1920 they were given to the council church of St. Marien . Here they burned in 1942. 
The law of June 28, 1896, when the army was expanded in 1897, increased the infantry by 33 regiments. These should be formed from the 4th battalions of the old regiments. Each of these new regiments initially had to consist of two battalions .
From the half battalions of the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg Brigade , Grand Ducal Mecklenburg Grenadier Regiment No. 89 and Grand Ducal Mecklenburg Fusilier Regiment "Kaiser Wilhelm" No. 90 , and the fusilier battalion of the 2nd Hanseatic Infantry Regiment No. 76 already garrisoning in Lübeck , the 3rd Hanseatic Infantry Regiment No. Hanseatic Infantry Regiment No. 162 established the regiment on April 1, 1897. The AKO of August 29, 1899 set March 31, 1897 as the foundation day.
Together with the new Schleswig-Holstein Infantry Regiment No. 163, the regiment formed the 81st Infantry Brigade of the 17th Division of the IX. Army Corps.
The III. The 76th battalion was relocated to Lübeck as a garrison in 1867 . After it became 162, the now 2nd Battalion stayed in the old barracks in front of the Holsten Gate . The 1st Battalion was initially housed in corrugated iron barracks on the “Green Square”. It received its barracks in 1899. The III., Which has existed in Eutin since 1913. Battalion received its barracks during the First World War. On its 25th anniversary, Udo de Rainville 's barracks was given the name Rettberg-Kaserne . It still serves as a barracks today. [8th]
|Oberst||Wilhelm von Kettler||April 1, 1897 to June 15, 1900|
|Oberst||Ernst Gaede||June 16, 1900 to September 11, 1902|
|Lieutenant colonel||Henry Neßler||
September 12 to October 17, 1902 |
(entrusted with the tour)
|Oberst||Henry Neßler||October 18, 1902 to January 26, 1906|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ernst von Oidtman||
January 27 to February 12, 1906 |
(entrusted with the tour)
|Oberst||Ernst von Oidtman||February 13, 1906 to March 21, 1910|
|Oberst||Squidward von Jarotzky||March 22, 1910 to April 21, 1913|
|Oberst||Otto von Koppelow||April 22, 1913 to August 1914|
|Major||Karl von Rettberg||August 1914 to July 10, 1917|
|Major||Ludwig Hauss||July 11, 1917 to January 1919|
- Eberhard von Claer was the commander of the III. Battalion of the 2nd Hanseatic Infantry Regiment No. 76 stationed in Lübeck . When this became the 2nd Battalion of the 3rd Hanseatic Infantry Regiment No. 162 , his regimental affiliation also changed. During the spring battle of Arras he was awarded the order Pour le Mérite .
- The painter Hans am Ende was probably the most prominent reserve officer in the regiment. With the outbreak of the First World War he volunteered as a first lieutenant and joined the regiment with the first replacement in Lübeck in October 1914. In November he received the Iron Cross and was promoted to captain. In December 1914 he was appointed chief of the 8th Company as the successor to Otto Dziobek . After conquering the "Gießeler Höhe" in 1916, he recorded the altitude on paintings for regiments No. 162 and No. 163. Max von Boehn , then commanding general of the corps, was to receive such a painting on his 50th anniversary in 1917. The Lübeck painting hung in the officers' mess after the regiment was dissolved and is now in the holdings of the Museums for Art and Cultural History of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck. In December 1916 he took over the leadership of the 1st Battalion of the Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 76 (R76) for a battalion leader on leave and in January 1917 that of the 2nd Battalion. In early May 1917, he became the commander of the after the Battle of Arras newly established | II. 162nd Battalion appointed. His behavior in battle meant that he was a member of the delegation that went to Denain on May 22, 1917was sent to receive the Iron Cross 1st class from Kaiser Wilhelm II personally when he visited the front . He was seriously wounded in the attack on Messines on April 10, 1918. In the hospital of Szczecin , he received the Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with swords excellent and died on July 9, 1918 his injuries.
- Wilhelm Hagedorn was company commander in the Lübeck regiment from 1901 to 1907. For his services as commander of the infantry regiment "Bremen" (1st Hanseatic) No. 75 in the battle of Arras , he received the order Pour le Mérite on July 30, 1917 .
- Franz de Rainville had been company commander of the 9th Company in Eutin since 1911. In November 1914 he was promoted to major  and appointed commander of the Eutin battalion. In 1917 he was transferred. As the commander of the Grand Ducal Mecklenburg Grenadier Regiment No. 89 , he was the third former member of the Lübeck regiment to receive the highest Prussian award, the Pour le Mérite, on November 6, 1918 .
The regiment's peacetime
On days where the high Senate session, stood before the town hall , a double guard as a guard of honor . At the funeral of a senator, the regiment provided the military funeral escort in parade uniform with a flag and music.
On the same day, the Senate presented the regiment with a bell tree with horse tails in the Lübeck colors. Its bell bore the inscription: September 5, 1904, the Senate of Lübeck
After the imperial parade of the imperial days , the Trautmann company (6./162)  returned to Lübeck, as it was their responsibility to provide the honorary posts in the city. The princes who took up residence in the Hotel Stadt Hamburg in Lübeck during the upcoming imperial maneuver - Prince Heinrich , Prince Albrecht , Prince Friedrich Leopold , Prince Heinrich XVIII.  or Colonel General Hahnke - received two each for the duration of their stay.
Permission to use the Schellenbaum was granted on November 10, 1904. The tree was given to the regiment by the chairman of the military commission of the Lübeck Senate, Senator Dr. Neumann , presented on January 14, 1905 in the war room of the town hall .
During that maneuver, the regiment had a III for the first time by drawing in reserves. Battalion has been set up. The officer positions were occupied by delegations from other regiments of the Army Corps, which was retained until the 1913 maneuver.
From November 1911 the MG company was a legal part of the 1st Battalion.
When the emperor was welcomed to Lübeck's walls in August (for the last time), as announced on his 25th anniversary on June 16, 1913, the regiment showed him, as on June 16, 1900, at the opening of the Elbe-Trave Channel , the military honors .
The regiment received its III on October 1, 1913. Battalion.
Since there weren't any shooting ranges in Eutin at the beginning either, everyone had to go to Lübeck for each sniper shooting. The Palinger Heide near Lübeck served the III. Battalion, like the Lübeckers, for combat training of the companies and the battalion. Before the completion of the Eutin barracks, the war began. 
In mid-January 1904 the first news of the Herero and Nama uprising reached Germany. On January 17th, the order to mobilize a marine expeditionary force was issued, which began its journey to Swakopmund on the 21st .
The situation called for a significant reinforcement of the protection forces from the ranks of the army . As was once the case with the Boxer Rebellion, this time too there were a large number of volunteers, including those from the regiment.
To mark the tenth anniversary of the 162s, a memorial stone was donated to them in the courtyard of the Marli barracks by the Comradeship Association of the 76ers and 162s in Lübeck , on which the 162nd volunteers who died in German South West Africa are listed with their names and date and place of death . Its plate can be found today in the Lübeck cemetery of honor .
First World War
After Austria-Hungary declared war on Serbia (3rd Balkan War) on July 28, 1914 , Russia, as an ally of Serbia and a member of the Triple Entente , ordered general mobilization on July 29, 1914 .  The Lübeck Regiment left its garrison on July 31, the day Austria mobilized.
The Lübeck General-Anzeiger was during World War II daily publish in his spending a commemorative plaque on recently killed, wounded and Lost. However, since their number quickly reached a level that nobody had expected, their publication was discontinued after a short time.
The regiment was initially deployed on Sylt , where it received the German mobilization order, to protect the island and then in North Schleswig to secure the border with neutral Denmark . On the way to the front it got into the "entanglements" in Leuven  and saw an enemy plane for the first time over its bivouac site near Termonde . The regiment had first contact with the enemy close to Quatrecht . [A 2]
In the battle of Noyon it crossed the French border on 16 September and pushed up to the 19th to Le Hamel - where the war of movement in the grave War ( trench warfare ) passed - before. Allied intelligence rated the division as a division of the first rank one  and thus established the reputation of the regiment as elite regiment. [A 3]
Until October 1915, the 17th Reserve Division persisted in the trench warfare between Roye and Noyon. The III. Battalion (the Eutiners) fought from September to December 1915 as part of the Sick Regiment [A 4] in Thélus , before returning to the 162s.
In the winter of 1915/16 on the heights of Givenchy , the Lübeckers established a second position, the Lübeckers , between Angres and the Fabarius-Berg . On February 21, 1916, on that day the battle for Verdun began , the division stormed the so-called "Gießler-Höhe" near Angres.
In the spring the regiment was deployed on the Vimy-Höhe , Lens St. Pierre and at Loos . On June 18, a large part of the regiment between Sallaumines and Avion witnessed the crash of the then aviator hero Immelmann .
The regiment spent the winter of 1916/17 in St. Julien near Ypres ,   the front line of the Third Ypres Battle was to run here later . [A 5] From January 16 to February 20, the regiment was relocated to Bruges , the home port of the Flemish submarine flotilla, which is connected to the North Sea via a canal to Ostend and Zeebrugge . [A 6]
In December 1917 the division was moved back to Flanders. Shortly before the Battle of Cambrai broke out, the division was moved back to the Siegfried Line. The regiment stayed with the Wytschaete group and was transferred to Gheluvelt .
On April 6th, the regiment was sent to the battle of the Kemmel (part of the fourth Ypres battle ). [A 7] Meesen conquered it here , [A 8] shortly afterwards Wijtschaete (also called Wytschaete in its time, is now a district of Heuvelland), whereupon the regiment was withdrawn for regeneration.
The regiment found this in Knocke [A 9] and regained combat strength by replacing it from the former eastern front . It was by chance that Wilhelm Jannasch from the local Aegidienkirche , currently active as a naval pastor , met him . It was the time when the English destroyed the two nearby German submarine ports. [A 10] 
As a corps reserve, the regiment was relocated in September at short intervals to Ligny en Cambresis east of Cambrai, to Briey not far from Metz near the place where the battle of St. Mihiel had taken place days before , and finally to Thielt in Flanders . From here it was moved to the Hermann position , to which the German army had withdrawn after abandoning the Siegfried position, at Le Câteau for a defensive battle. It was the regiment's last combat mission.
- End of the regiment
The 17th Reserve Division was assigned the security service , according to the Compiègne armistice , Alsace-Lorraine was to be evacuated within 15 days of the conclusion of the agreement in order to guarantee around Strasbourg . The regiment secured Lixheim on November 12th, Zabern on the 13th and Handschuheim on the 14th , before arriving in Strasbourg on the 15th. On the 17th the regiment was transferred to the Kaiser Wilhelm barracks in Mutzig near Strasbourg.
On the night of November 20th, the posts of the Strasbourg vigilante groups were replaced and on the morning of the 21st it left Strasbourg and thus France over a pontoon bridge spanning the Rhine in the direction of Kehl .
When the regiment arrived at Lübeck Central Station on November 26th three hours late , the Senators Neumann and Possehl of the Military Commission of the High Senate welcomed the brigade commander who had already arrived . Their speech was answered by the brigade commander before the regiment, accompanied by the music of the police band, the band of the replacement battalion had been disbanded two days before, went to the market for the official welcome . On the way there, at the entrance to Holstenstrasse, it fell below a garland spanning this with the words “Unity and law and freedom are the pledge of happiness”.
On November 30th, the regiment was solemnly welcomed on the Lübeck market square . The former regimental officers were no longer with the regiment at this point. The event ended the ringing of the bells from St. Mary's Church.
In the First World War, 85 officers and 1,755 non-commissioned officers and men were killed in the infantry regiment "Lübeck" (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162.
Of three battalions of four companies each in times of peace, one battalion was lost in two battles and one company was lost in two further battles. That alone is over 83% of the regiment.
Lübeck and his regiment
Almost at the beginning of the war, the Lübeck Senate decided to donate an automobile to its regiment. Since such possession was forbidden from 1915, the regiment, Commander von Rettberg, sent it back to Lübeck. The Senate handed it over to the Lübeck fire brigade .
From November 1914, regular visits by delegations from home began. People like Mr. Senator Possehl , followed by Mr. Senator Neumann and the Deputy of the Red Cross Mr. Radbruch (father of Gustav Radbruch (since 1915 Landwehr Infantry Regiment No. 111 )), his magnifications and high chiefs of the regiment Mr. Senators JG Eschenburg and Dr. Fehling . The regiment asked to refrain from visiting the regiment at Knocke.
Like the 3rd Dorset Regiment (1916) , the regiment resorted to psychological warfare (Tribal Warfare). In 1917 they were informed that 250,000 prisoners had been taken and 2,300 guns had been captured on the Tagliamento in Italy . The British reaction matched the German reaction at the time.
The English had changed their tactics in this regard. They dropped hundreds of hectographed letters in which alleged German prisoners wanted to induce German soldiers to defeat by depicting the beautiful life in English captivity.
In February 1918, the leaflets dropped by the English airmen announced that Canada would send 750,000 men and suggested deserting . In addition, by constantly pointing out the constant strikes in the realm, the dissent between home and the front was nourished.
At the same time as the mobilization, a replacement battalion of the regiment was set up in Lübeck on August 2, 1914. Its 3rd and 4th companies transferred to Brigade Replacement Battalion 81 on August 11 . The 4th Battalion of Infantry Regiment No. 362 was formed from there.  It was also the replacement unit of Infantry Regiment No. 426, which was formed in Ober Ost in 1916. 
On November 3, 1918, the chief of the naval station of the Baltic Sea and the Kiel governorate , Admiral Souchon , did not contact the chief military commander in his home area in order to master the Kiel sailors' uprising , but rather the deputy general command of the adjacent corps area in Altona.
Its commanding general thereupon instructed the troop leader of the deputy brigade command closest to the Kiel fortress area, Harry von Wright , to collect all available infantry forces from the replacement battalions under his command and to transport them to Kiel that same night. The General Command had trains ready for their transports in Lübeck and Neumünster . Wright alerted the reserve battalions of the 162 and the local recruiting office of the Schleswig Reserve Regiment of the 84 in Lübeck, as well as the 163 in Neumünster. However, since it was said during the night that the unrest in Kiel had already been suppressed, the measures introduced were reversed before midnight.
But the unrest there already revived the next morning. Souchon asked the chief of the deputy general staff of the corps for help from Rendsburg ( 85 ) and Lübeck. Wright was then appointed by telephone from Altona at 11 a.m. to command all replacement battalions to be deployed against Kiel.
According to Wright's plan, all intervention troops arriving from the corps area were to be gathered south of Kiel and then marched into Kiel with united forces.   The plan was based on his "experiences of war history" and on the general staff study from 1908 on the "fight in insurgent cities", which was distributed up to the brigade staff.
Since, however, from Souchon's point of view, it was out of the question that a troop commander of the land army would lead the command in the area of the naval war port of Kiel, he categorically rejected Wright and his plan. He got in touch with the military commander in Altona and managed to come to an understanding with him, largely asserting his personal reputation and immediate position . At noon Wright was informed by telephone from the General Command in Lübeck that he had been released from his command and that the reaction forces were under Souchon's direct command. This wanted with the help of the last formations still loyal to him and the army troops brought to them within the fortress area Create remedies.
Contrary to the forceful counter-ideas of the army commander, who was rejected by him, the station command allowed all special trains manned by intervention troops to enter the main station of the city ruled by rioters . The revolutionary crowd took the incoming transports by surprise. Three of the four 162 companies defected and the fourth returned disarmed.
The replacement battalion of the Lauenburgische Jäger was now to be sent in a strength of 100 men with weapons and ammunition to the 4th Company in the Marli barracks for their rearmament. Subsequently, the Lübeckers should then stop the spreading riot. Since the railroad and the road across the streets were blocked by the demonstrators, the intention was to cross the Wakenitz to Lübeck in the early morning hours of the next day . However, the project was no longer carried out because the riot hit Ratzeburg during the night.  In Lübeck, the uprising lasted only one day. Thus Lübeck was the place in Germany where the riot lasted the shortest.
Dissolution in 1919
With the Treaty of Versailles and the associated restriction to a 200,000- then 100,000-man army , the regiment was dissolved in 1919 with the formal end of the First World War. Its tradition continued in the Reichswehr with the 8th Company (Machine Gun Company) of the 6th Infantry Regiment . 
- 1905 Kaiser Prize as the best shooting company in the Army Corps
- 1906 Kaiserpreis as the best shooting company in the Army Corps
- 1913 Kaiser Prize for the Army Corps' best shooting company
1920 to a welcome telegram, which the high senate Max von Boehn , former commanding general of the IX. Reserve Corps , on whose 70th birthday he sent, replied:
- To have received greetings from Lübeck was a particular pleasure for me; I think gratefully to my brave Lübeckers, whose heroism in the world war is recorded in history with golden letters! 
- Traditional guard of honor of the infantry regiment "Lübeck" (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162 e. V. (since 1980)
- Comradeship Association of the 76ers and 162s in Lübeck (since 1895)
- Comradeship Association of the 162 in Hamburg
- Officers Association 162 (since dissolution of the regiment)
To mark its tenth anniversary, the Comradeship Association of the 76ers and 162s in Lübeck donated a memorial stone to the former members of the regiment who died in German South West Africa. This stood in the yard of the Marli barracks (1st Battalion) and was handed over to the commanding officer on June 23, 1907. According to the Lübeck newspapers, the fact that the date did not coincide with the regiment's foundation day was due to the unfavorable weather conditions at the time and the regiment's stay in the Lockstedt camp . It is unknown whether and where this memorial stone still exists today.
The memorial helmet off to prayer for the members of the regiment who died in World War I was created in 1924 by the sculptor Richard Kuöhl . It was inaugurated on May 10, 1925 at the Lübeck Cemetery of Honor . Behind the memorial, five stone slabs with the locations of the regiment in the First World War are set in a semicircular wall.
The inscriptions read: Some of the inscriptions have spelling mistakes and are correctly mentioned above.
- Otto Dziobek : History of the Infantry Regiment Lübeck (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162. First edition 1922
from the foreword:
… Special thanks go to Oberleutnant Sander , who has supported the work with great interest. With [...] he not only [...], but also through the laborious preparation of the maps and sketches as well as the drawing of many pictures, he has made great contributions to the history of the regiment ...
- Antjekathrin Graßmann : Lübeckische Geschichte. 3rd improved and supplemented edition. Verlag Schmidt-Römhild, 1997, ISBN 3-7950-3215-6 .
- Harboe Kardel : The Reserve Field Artillery Regiment No. 17. (Reminder sheets of German regiments, Volume 30). 1st edition. Verlag Gerhard Stalling, 1922 Oldenburg i. D., .
- War pictures of the Lübeck Infantry Regiment. 3rd Hanseatic No. 162. Officers' Association, Lübeck 1925.
- Hugo Gropp: Hanseatic people in battle. Klindworth & Neuenhaus, Hamburg 1932, .
- Lübeck address book. Max Schmidt publishing house, div.
- Lübeck leaves . 1937, No. 18: Address by Lieutenant Colonel a. D. Dziobek at the commemoration ceremony for the establishment of the "Lübeck" infantry regiment (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162 40 years ago. Held in the building of the non-profit society in Lübeck on April 17, 1937.
- Lyder Ramstad: Under the banner of the “barbarians”. from the Norwegian by Cecile Wedel. Verlag Ferdinand Hirt, Breslau 1934, .
- Reich Military Law (Wikisource).
- Lübeckisches Adressbuch, first section, city administration, authorities, public affairs , according to the Lübeck infantry brigade, the Lübeck regiment, born between 1910 and 1918. From 1910, explanations were also added and what is written here was taken over.
- Hugo Gropp: Hanseatic people in battle. The Reserve Infantry Regiment No. 76. Experiences with the Res.-Inf.-Rgt. 76 in World War 1914/18, compiled on behalf of the “Association former. Belonging Reserve 76 eV “Printed by Klindworth & Neuenhaus, Hamburg 1932.
- Wolf Jan Dose (Ed.): The 187s in the field. Self-published, Hamburg 1922.
- Martin Lezius : flags and standards of the old Prussian army. Franckh'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Stuttgart 1935.
- Martin Lezius : flags and standards of the old Prussian army. Franckh'sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Stuttgart 1935.
- Otto Dziobek: History of the Infantry Regiment Lübeck (3rd Hanseatic) No. 162. Gerhard Stalling publishing house, 1922 Oldenburg i. D., Officers' Association, formerly 162.
- Standort Eutin
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The occupation of the active infantry regiments as well as Jäger and MG battalions, military district commandos and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 , p. 368 f.
- Lübeck General-Anzeiger. Issued November 13, 1914. Category: Promotions.
- AKO that day and Lit 1
- Captain von Trautmann was promoted to major the following month and transferred to Düsseldorf
- A12 B5 C3 D1
- Christopher Clark : The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Drew into World War I. Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Munich 2013, z. B. page 652, ISBN 978-3-421-04359-7 .
- Peter Schöller : The lion case and the white book. A critical examination of the German documentation about the events in Löwen from August 25 to 28, 1914. Böhlau, Cologne / Graz 1958.
- Histories of Two Hundred and Fifty-One Divisions of the German Army which Participated in the War (1914–1918), compiled from Records of Intelligence Section of the General Staff; American Ecpeditionary Forces, at General Headquarters, Chaumont, France 1919 (1920), S. 279–282.
- en: Battlefields of the First World War ( Memento from May 16, 2009 in the Internet Archive )
- German spelling during the First World War. (See Sint-Juliaan on the linked page)
- Battle of Arras
- Army report of July 26, 1917
- Stephen Mcgreal: Zeebrugge And Ostend Raids 1918. Pen and Sword Military, 2008, ISBN 978-1-84415-608-5.
- The People's meeting of the workers' and soldiers S. Council. In: Lübecker Volksbote 25th vol., No. 283, edition of December 4th 1930.
- Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914 to 1918 ; 3 volumes, Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007–2010.
- Hartwig Busche: formation history of the German infantry in the First World War; Inst. For Prussian Historiography, Owschlag 1998
- See also list of abandoned buildings in Lübeck: Wisbystraße
- Czech-Jochberg : The Politicians of the Republic , KF Koehler, Leipzig 1933, p. 20
- Revolution in Kiel , In: Federal newspaper of the association of former 163s , 13th year, No. 11, edition of November 1, 1936, p. 3
- Curt Badinski : From a great time. Reminder sheets of the Jäger-Feld-Battalion No. 9. World War 1914–1918. Vol. 2, Lauenburgischer Heimatverlag, Ratzeburg 1933.
- The 33 new regiments by the law of January 28, 1896 were called young regiments because they had not yet earned any merits in the war .
- This was the only time the attack took place in the traditional way - with a flying flag , beating drum and beating horn player .
- The brigade commander, General v. Lewinski, the Lübeck Senate , that the once young regiment had received its baptism of fire here .
- The regiment that existed only at this time had the official name of composed infantry regiment 3 (according to the Bavarian main state archive - war archive -)
- On December 12, 1916, the emperor made an offer of peace (see here) , which met with incomprehension in the regiment.
- On February 1st the unrestrained submarine war broke out , with the result that diplomatic relations with the USA were broken off. In retrospect, this was a fatal mistake, as Russia collapsed, France rebelled internally, and England was so close to financial collapse that it would have offered peace negotiations by summer at the latest. Christopher Clark : Wilhelm II. 2008, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, Munich, ISBN 978-3-421-04358-0 .
- Otto Dziobek reflects on the conditions in Houthem and those in Lübeck in the regimental history
: “The homeland can never thank the German army enough for protecting it from the same fate. And these cities that England destroyed were those of her faithful allies! How would it have fared German cities! ”
Lübeck learned that in 1942. On the night of Palm Sunday from March 28 to March 29, 1942, the air raid on Lübeck took place .
- In memory of that day, the former barracks of the 1st battalion were renamed Meesen barracks during the Third Reich . Today it has a different function, but the street that leads across the former inner courtyard still reminds of it with its name Meesenring .
- Although it was a Hanseatic regiment, at that time there was only a small percentage of Hanseatic people in it. Their share sank from the summer battle (1916), where the replacement consisted of 40-year-old families from the Rhineland and Westphalia - the Lübeck replacement for November was diverted to Verdun ; or, as after the Spring Battle of Arras in April 1917, no longer contained Lübeck.
- see: Battle against Zeebrugge and Ostend