|Statistics National Institute|
|Foundation||As November 3 as 1856 and 31 December as as 1945|
|Headquarters||Paseo de la Castellana 183 ( Madrid )|
|Direction||Juan Manuel Rodríguez Poo (President)|
|Dependent of||Secretary of State for the Economy and Business Support|
|Annual budget||189.8 million € (2021) [ 2 ]|
The National Institute of Statistics ( INE ) is an autonomous body in Spain responsible for the general coordination of the statistical services of the General State Administration and the surveillance, control and supervision of their technical procedures.
History and background
The oldest Spanish statistical body for which there is documentation is the Kingdom Statistical Commission, established on November 3, 1856 . The General Narvaez , president of the Council of Ministers of Isabel II signed a decree establishing a Commission was created, composed of persons of recognized competence, for the formation of the General Statistics of the Kingdom. The 1 of maypole of 1861 , the Commission was renamed the General Board of Statistics, and his first job was the development of the Population Census.
A decree of the December of September of 1870 , during the provisional government of General Serrano , created the Geographic Institute. Three years later, the 19 of June of 1873 , passed renamed Institute of Geography and Statistics, assuming all the tasks of collecting numerical information for the state. In 1890 the statistics became dependent on the Ministry of Development .
A decree of 1 of October of 1901 established the formation of official statistics and publishing them. The Geographical and Statistical Institute was transformed into the General Directorate and departments were created in the ministries to complete its work.
Statistics National Institute
The National Institute of Statistics was created as a result of the Law of December 31, 1945 , published in the BOE of January 3, 1946 , with the mission of preparing and perfecting existing demographic, economic and social statistics , the creation of new ones and coordination with the statistical services of the provincial and municipal areas.
At the end of 1964 the first computer was installed at the INE. It was a first-generation IBM 1401 , for which a team of four statisticians and ten technicians was assembled. In the following four years, the computer was able to operate at full capacity. In 1970 an IBM 360/50 was installed , one of the largest in the Spanish administration at the time. Ten physicians and twenty technicians were trained to use it.
In the II Development Plan (1969-1972), the new INE headquarters was projected, located on Paseo de la Castellana in Madrid , which was completed in 1972 . In 2004 , work began to improve and expand the facilities of the main headquarters, which made it necessary to have a provisional headquarters, located in the Torre Rioja building, on Rosario Pino street. The end of these works was in 2007 , being located again in Castellana 181, in a colorful and renovated building.
On May 9, 1989 , the Law of Public Statistical Function was promulgated, which makes the National Institute of Statistics an autonomous body, promoting new statistical technologies, coordination with the autonomous communities , the preparation of the National Statistical Plan and relations with the European Union in statistical matters.
The Statute of the National Institute of Statistics was approved by Royal Decree 508/2001, of May 11, 2001 (BOE 12-05-2001), assigning to the National Institute of Statistics the functions of general coordination of the statistical services of the General Administration of the State, the surveillance, control and supervision of the technical competences of the state statistical services, and the others provided for in Law 12/1989, of May 9, on the Public Statistical Function.
The INE prepares the consumer price index ( CPI ) and the IPCA on a monthly basis . Other economic indicators prepared by the INE are the retail sales index , the rental price and statistics on the transaction and sale of homes, among others.
Collegiate statistical bodies
Law 12/1989, of May 9, on the Public Statistical Function establishes that the Higher Council of Statistics is an advisory body of the state statistical services (article 37) and creates the Interministerial Statistics Commission (article 36) and the Committee Interterritorial Statistics (article 42). [ 3 ]
- Higher Council of Statistics : it is an advisory body of the state statistical services and of social participation of the informants, producers and users of the statistics.
- Interministerial Statistics Commission : it is a body for the participation of the statistical services responsible for the production of statistics within the scope of the Central State Administration
- Interterritorial Statistics Committee : it is the permanent collegiate body in charge of ensuring coordination, cooperation and homogenization in statistical matters between the State and the Autonomous Communities.
To obtain real data of population carries out a population census . In Spain it is carried out together with the housing census every ten years, by legal imperative. Between the censuses, the population information is obtained from the management procedures of the municipal registers.
The last Population and Housing Census was carried out in 2011 . The data for the 2001 census had a budget of 27 billion pesetas (just over 162 million euros), more than 40,000 people participated, 21 million postal addresses were visited, 13 million homes were visited and information was collected from approximately 40 million people.
This census had important innovations:
- For the first time in history, personalized questionnaires were used to facilitate their completion, made thanks to the information from the Municipal Register of Inhabitants .
- For the information processing, advanced computer techniques were used that, for example, allowed the digitization of 120 questionnaires per minute. Accelerating the work and allowing each municipality to have the image of its Municipal Register.
- It was the first country in the world to allow the completion of census questionnaires over the Internet, through which 13,818 households used to fill in their questionnaires.
CEOs and Presidents
Until the establishment of the INE as an autonomous organism with the Law of the Public Statistical Function of 1989 , the INE was directed by a General Director. Since 1989, the main person in charge of the Agency is the figure of the President.
- José Luis del Corral Saiz (1946-1946)
- Emilio Gimenez Arribas (1946-1953) [ 5 ]
- Luis Ubach and García-Ontiveros (1953-1961)
- José Ros Jímeno -ad interin- (1961-1962)
- Francisco Torras Huguet (1962-1966)
- Alberto Cerrolaza Asenjo (1966-1971)
- Benito Martínez Echevarría (1971-1974)
- Jesús García Siso (1974-1974)
- Rafael Bermejo (1974-1976)
- Ricardo Torrón Duran (1976-1977)
- Andrés Fernández Díaz (1977-1977)
- Blas Calzada Terrados (1977-1979)
- José Montes Fernández (1979-1980)
- Ignacio Ballester (1980-1981)
- José Montes Fernández (1981-1982)
- Luis Ruiz Maya (1982-1986)
- Javier Ruiz-Castillo Ucelay (1986-1989)
Since 1989 they have been Presidents of the INE:
- José Quevedo Quevedo (1989-1996)
- Pilar Martín-Guzmán (1996-2000)
- Carmen Alcaide Guindo (2000-2008)
- Jaume García Villar (2008-2012)
- Gregorio Izquierdo Llanes (2012-October 2018)
- Juan Manuel Rodriguez Poo (October 2018) [ 6 ]
The headquarters of the INE is located at Paseo de la Castellana number 183 in Madrid . Although the building was built in 1973, it was extensively restored between 2006 and 2008, through a work by the architects César Ruiz-Larrea and Antonio Gómez Gutiérrez , who have completely transformed its original appearance (ocher in color) giving it a colorful appearance. , since colored panels with figures ranging from 001 to 058 have been placed on the façade. This façade is a work of the sculptor José María Cruz Novillo and has been called the Decaphonic Diaphragm of Digits . [ 7 ]
- «INE - Annual Report 2019» . pp. 34-35.
- «PGE 2021» . P. 126557 (600 PDF).
- "Law 12/1989, of May 9, on the Public Statistical Function." . BOE. May 9, 1989 . Retrieved June 11, 2018 .
- INE. "The National Institute of Statistics Brief history" . Archived from the original on November 13, 2010 . Retrieved February 4, 2011 .
- "Emilio Giménez, CIAC inspector general" . The Country . As April 20 as 1982 . Retrieved February 7, 2011 .
- https://www.europapress.es/economia/macroeconomia-00338/noticia-gobierno-nombra-juan-manuel-rodriguez-poo-nuevo- 20181019164603.html
- El País newspaper March 3, 2008
- Wikimedia Commons hosts a multimedia category on the National Institute of Statistics .
- INE website
- Royal Decree 508/2001, of May 11, which approves the Statute of the National Institute of Statistics
- Population inquiries
- Graphical data, generator of graphs and maps of the INE
- Territorial distribution of surnames in Spain, according to the National Institute of Statistics