|Javier Romañach Cabrero|
Romañach in an act of the Interesting People community . Perafort , 2012
|Birth|| November 6 , 1962 |
Manresa ( Spain )
|Death|| November 13 , 2018(56 years old) |
|Educated in||Polytechnic University of Madrid ( Information and Communication Technologies )|
|Occupation||Social activist, humanist and inventor|
|Notable works|| |
Javier Romañach Cabrero ( Manresa , November 6, 1962 - Madrid , November 13, 2018) [ 1 ] was a humanist, social activist and Spanish inventor . With a technological background, he reoriented his professional activity after a quadriplegia as a result of the traffic accident he had at the age of 28.
He stood out for his defense of functional diversity , of which he made his main activity. He was a member of organizations specializing in advocacy, support and training of people with disabilities, as The Independent Living Forum and Divertad , [ 2 ] Office of Independent Living Community of Madrid, Association SOLCOM , Institute of Peace, Human Rights and Independent Living (IPADEVI), ASPAYM and Fundación Sidar . [ 3 ] [ 4 ]
In recognition of its dissemination work in defense of human rights, the Carlos III University created in 2019 the "Javier Romañach Human Rights Clinic", within its program of the Bartolomé de las Casas Human Rights Institute. [ 5 ]
In 1987 he obtained a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from the Faculty of Computer Science of the Polytechnic University of Madrid . He worked in the field of software engineering and in the aerospace and communications sectors, with a special emphasis on human-computer interaction . Shortly afterwards, he collaborated with the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) and with the European Space Agency ; He also worked for Telefónica I + D and for the Flight Mechanics Group . [ 6 ]
In 1991, due to a traffic accident , he had a cervical spinal cord injury (C5-C6) that caused a permanent partial quadriplegia situation . After four years of intense neuro-rehabilitation , he partially recovered the functionality of his upper extremities. [ 7 ]
His new physical condition made him reorient his activity and technological knowledge towards the development of the human-machine interface . Participated in various projects related to technology , functional diversity , universal accessibility and design for all through the development of user interfaces , with the aim of improving universal accessibility for people with functional diversity through the new technologies applied to design for all . [ 6 ]
He chaired the working group Standardization of User Interfaces for the Disabled of SC 8, of the Technical Committee for Standardization 139 of the Spanish Association for Standardization and Certification (AENOR), and was a member of the global working group of the Initiative for Web Accessibility ( WAI) of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) for web accessibility . [ 11 ] [ 6 ]
At the end of the 90s he came into contact with the Independent Living Movement (MVI), which made him see a new way of working in favor of people with functional diversity. [ 1 ] At that time he incorporated his vision of improving the traditional structures of the associative system by first creating, with Antonio Rodríguez, the Core List ; [ 12 ] With Manuel Lobato he created in 2005 the term functional diversity , a neologism born to eradicate expressions such as "disability", "handicapped" or "invalidity" from common language, which have a pejorative character for the group. [ 13 ][ 14 ] This new term claims an understanding of the functional diversity within the social model, and claims that the reason does not allow independent living not in the person and diversity, but in the context that imposes barriers to functionalities not accepted as normal. [ 15 ] This was not the only neologism coined by Romañach; the contraction of one of its slogans "freedom and dignity in diversity" led to Divertad , one of its slogans within the social collective. [ 16 ] [ 13 ]
This new concept was embodied in the book "The diversity model. Bioethics and human rights as tools to achieve full dignity in functional diversity", written in 2007 by Agustina Palacios and Javier Romañach, [ 17 ] and as Continuation of which Romañach wrote in 2008 "Bioethics on the other side of the mirror. The vision of people with functional diversity and respect for human rights". [ 13 ]
In addition, he regularly collaborated with different universities, among which the Carlos III University and the Department of Philosophy of Law stand out. At said University on January 16, 2019 the "Conference on Disability and Human Rights in tribute to Javier Romañach" was held, in which the IDHBC Clinic (Bartolomé de las Casas Human Rights Institute) was renamed "Human Rights Clinic Human Javier Romañach ". [ 5 ]
As a promoter of the Independent Living Movement in Spain, he was a key player in the creation in 2006 of the first Independent Living Office (OVI), first in Madrid and later in Barcelona. [ 3 ] [ 18 ]
On the social side, his activity allowed him to collaborate as a professor of Independent Living Philosophy in formal training modules at the Universities of Vigo , Salamanca , Menéndez Pelayo and Carlos III of Madrid . Internationally, he was a professor of the Functional Diversity Module in the Master of Bioethics at the University of Camerino (Italy). [ 19 ]
His activism was also political and, therefore, he appeared in the Congress of Deputies , in the Toledo Pact Commission , and as an expert to advise on the UN Convention on the rights of people with functional diversity (2005, 2009). [ 20 ] [ 21 ] [ 22 ] Also, intervened with the Cortes of Castilla y Leon and Cortes Valencianas to defend the philosophy of Independent Living to the new Law on Empowerment of People. [ 23 ]
He participated in the closure of the IMSERSO (2006), [ 24 ] and from the beginning he was part of the organization of the March for the Visibility of People with Functional Diversity . [ citation required ]
On the occasion of the premiere of the movie " Sea Inside ", he intervened in 2005 in the RTVE program " Las cerezas " with Julia Otero , where he defended his discrepancy with Ramón Sampedro's decision , stating that "dying with dignity is important, but first and more important is to live with dignity. " [ 25 ] [ 7 ]
- «Javier Romañach - OVI Barcelona has left us» . OVI Barcelona . Retrieved November 17, 2018 .
- Balbás Peña, Jorge (November 1, 2005). "I am not sick nor do I have to be cured, I am like that, different." . the province . Archived from the original on November 2, 2005 . Retrieved February 27, 2019 .
- "We dismissed Javier Romañach - ASPAYM Madrid" . ASPAYM Madrid . November 14, 2018 . Retrieved November 17, 2018 .
- «Health and fun - SOLCOM» . SOLCOM . November 14, 2018 . Retrieved November 18, 2018 .
- "The Javier Romañach Human Rights Clinic" . clinicajuridicaidhbc.com . Retrieved February 13, 2019 . . Tweet news
- "" We will all be disabled. ARIADN A-79 " . www.elmundo.es . February 7, 2002 . Retrieved February 27, 2019 .
- RTVE, ed. (November 30, 2011), Independent Living. Javier Romañach interview in "las cherries" , consulted on November 18, 2018
- Palmas, La Provincia-Diario de Las. « " The Dependency Law must be changed " » . www.laprovincia.es . Retrieved February 27, 2019 .
- «The UNED announces the summer course" Web Accessibility and learning for all people "| ONCE Foundation for Cooperation and Social Inclusion of People with Disabilities » . www.fundaciononce.es . Retrieved November 17, 2018 .
- «Conferences 2009/10-ETS of Computer Engineers (UPM)» . www.fi.upm.es . Retrieved November 17, 2018 .
- Autonomous University of Madrid (ed.). "Doctoral Seminars 2005-2006" .
- «Imagine - Core List» . www.imagina.org . Retrieved November 20, 2018 .
- Campoy, Ignacio (November 14, 2018). IDHBC Legal Clinic. Carlos III University of Madrid, ed. "Obituary on Javier Romañach" .
- Cuesta Suárez, Héctor Nauzet (September 2012). «Disability and the written press in Spain. Content analysis of two newspapers in 1978, 1995 and 2007 » . Doctoral thesis on Social Education in the Knowledge Society : 71, 104 . Retrieved February 27, 2019 .
- Count Melguizo, Rafael (March 17, 2009). "Evolution of the concept of disability in contemporary society: from sick bodies to exclusive societies - PDF" . Sociological Praxis . ISSN 1575-0817 . Archived from the original on February 20, 2015 . Retrieved November 20, 2018 .
- del Saz, Nuria. "La 'Divertad' by Javier Romañach" . eldiario.es . Retrieved February 13, 2019 .
- Palacios, Agustina; Romañach, Javier (2006). The diversity model: bioethics and human rights as tools to achieve full dignity in functional diversity . Diversitas-AIES. ISBN 9788496474406 . Retrieved February 13, 2019 .
- Tojo, Marga (December 8, 2018). "Functional Diversity: Why Am I Not Supposed To Fuck?" . www.publico.es . Retrieved February 27, 2019 .
- Provincial Council of Gipuzkoa (June 24, 2005). "Independent Living Day" . Conference Program . Retrieved February 27, 2019 .
- Commission for comprehensive disability policies (March 17, 2009). "Appearance of Javier Romañach for the purposes of informing and advising the Commission in relation to the UN Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities . " Session Diary. Congress of Deputies .
- Commission for the monitoring of the Toledo Pact (March 9, 2005). "Appearance of José Antonio Novoa Romay, Javier Romañach and Alejandro Rodríguez-Picavea Matilla in the monitoring session of the Toledo Pact" . Session Diary. Congress of Deputies .
- Congress of Deputies (April 15, 2013), FVIyDIVERTAD, ed., Appearance in the Congress of Deputies , consulted on November 18, 2018
- «CCyL - Session Diaries» . 2004.ccyl.es . Retrieved November 19, 2018 .
- ABC. «The confinement at the IMSERSO ends after arranging an interview with Caldera | Society | Society - Abc.es » . ABC . Retrieved November 18, 2018 .
- «Julia Otero - Santiago Segura and Ricardo Bofill in“ Las cerezas ”with Julia Otero» . www.juliaotero.net . Retrieved November 18, 2018 .