Jazz Vilá - Jazz Vilá
|Birth name||Luis Yasser Vila Cabrera|
August 21, 1984 (age 36) |
Cuba , Cuba
|Occupation||actor , director , producer , playwright|
|Years active||since 2000|
Jazz Vilá ( Havana , August 21, 1984) is a Cuban actor , director , producer, and playwright recognized for his performances in feature films such as Juan de los muertos , Fátima or el parque de la fraternidad or El accompaniment . He is the founder and CEO of the Jazz Vilá Projects company , the first to make a presentation in the United States, interpreting a work from the island in English. [ 1 ] [ 2 ]
He began his artistic career at the age of 14 in an acting workshop at the National Theater of Cuba . A few months later, he participated in the Cuban soap opera Las orfanas de la Obra Pía, where he played Andresito, the baker. [ 3 ] [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ citation needed ] Subsequently joined the National School of Arts of Cuba , caling action in 2004 he joined the theater group The public, under the direction of Carlos Diaz , forming part of the cast of the plays Ícaros and La loca de Chaillot.
In 2005 he made his first film, Personal Belongings , under the direction of Alejandro Brugués . That same year he traveled as a guest to the Avignon Theater Festival , later moving to Madrid where he began to work as a dramatic advisor to various flamenco artists such as La Truco or María Juncal . Also during her time in Spain she worked as a production assistant for the Montecarlo Ballet , with whom she collaborated again during the XVI International Theater Festival of Havana and for Blanca Li's company , in which she also worked as a wardrobe assistant. . [ 7 ] [ 8]
In 2010 he participated in the Cuban-Spanish co-production Juan de los muertos , the second film by director Alejandro Brugués. His portrayal of the character "La China" in this film was nominated for the Goya Awards as "Best New Actor." [ 9 ] [ citation needed ] The premiere of the film took him to several festivals such as Guadalajara (Mexico) , MIFF (United States), Fanstasporto (Portugal) and BIFFF (Belgium). [ 10 ] [ 11 ] [ 12]
His presence in the cinema was regularized by being part of the cast of the feature films Fátima or el parque de la Fraternidad , Horses , The companion and more recently, Before the ferry arrives . In 2015, VISTAR magazine included him in the list of the six most recurring young actors in Cuban cinema. [ 15 ]
In 2018 he had participations in the Spanish series Paquita Salas (Netflix) and Skam España ( Movistar Plus ). [ 16 ] Also during this year he shot the Dominican feature film Hotel Coppelia under the direction of José María Cabrales. [ 17 ]
Jazz has been invited by the Guadalajara International Film Festival as one of the experts to develop the Talent Guadalajara 2019 Acting Studio. Also this year, Vilá has been the artistic director of the Cuban Gala against Homophobia. [ 18 ]
He made his debut as a director at age 17 with his own adaptation of La casa de Bernarda Alba at the Alicia Alonso Theater in Havana. During his time in Spain, he was the artistic director of several flamenco shows and general director of the play The Last Night . [ citation required ]
Upon returning to Cuba, he created a theatrical group that in 2015 became official as a company under the name of Jazz Vilá Projects with productions of his authorship such as Skyscraper , Eclipse and more recently Farándula . [ 19 ] [ 20 ] [ 21 ]
In January 2017, he became the first director to present a Cuban company in the United States interpreting a work from the island in English. This same year Jazz was awarded the Incubator Artist Program in Texas, an award that served him for the production of his work Frontera , the first of his company produced and released outside of Cuba. [ 13 ] [ 15 ] [ 22 ]
|Year||Movie / Character||Director / Country|
|2018||Hotel Coppelia (Betty)||José María Cabrales / Dominican Republic|
|2016||Before the Ferry arrives (the superhero)||Vladimir Garcia / Cuba|
|2015||The King of Havana (Raulito)||Agustí Villaronga / Spain-Dominican|
|2014||The Companion (Boris)||Pavel Giroud / Cuba-France|
|Horses (Fumigator)||Fabian Suarez / Cuba|
|2013||The human thing (Jazz Vilá)||Gerardo Chijona / Cuba|
|Omega 3 (Android)||Eduardo del Llano / Cuba|
|Fatima or the Fraternity park (Katiuska)||Jorge Perugorría / Cuba|
|2012||Venice (Ada-Adalberto)||Kiki Álvarez / Cuba|
|2011||Juan de los muertos (the china)||Alejandro Brugués / Cuba-Spain|
|2008||Arena (the man)||Jota Aronak / Spain|
|2006||Personal Belongings (Mayito)||Alejandro Brugués / Cuba|
|2005||Birthday (dad)||Virginia Llera / Spain|
|2003||Blues for the death of the Captain (Victor)||Fernando Zamora / Mexico-Cuba|
|Work / Character||Director / Country|
|Eclipse (Count)||Jazz Vilá / Cuba|
|Carmen Jones 'The Musical' (Rico)||Christopher Renshaw / Cuba|
|Goldfish (Jazz Vilá)||Reinier Rodríguez / Cuba|
|Caligula (Scipio)||Carlos Diaz / Cuba|
|Letters to Peer Gynt (the ferryman)||Carlos Diaz / Cuba|
|Poet in New York (Her)||Blanca Lí / Spain|
|La Loca de Chaillot (the messenger)||Carlos Diaz / Cuba|
|Icarus (Icarus of the Lamp)||Carlos Diaz / Cuba|
|Henry IV Part One (Falstaff)||Maritza Abrahantes / Cuba|
|Fuenteovejuna (Esteban)||Maritza Abrahantes / Cuba|
|Baltasar (Baltasar)||Maritza Abrahantes / Cuba|
|Picnic (Howard Bevans)||Elena Alvarez / Cuba|
|Street Scenes (Frank Maurrant)||Elena Alvarez / Cuba|
|A Midsummer Night's Dream (Theseus and Oberon)||Johan Monteagudo / Cuba|
|Program / Character|| |
Director / Country
|Paquita Salas (Rox)||Javier Calvo and Javier Ambrossi / Spain|
|SKAM Spain (Fidel Gynecologist)||Begoña Alvarez / Spain|
|Four Seasons in Havana (Jimenez)||Félix Viscarret / Spain - Cuba|
|The Sect (Linen)||Oleg Fesenko / Russia - Cuba|
|On the trail (Manuel)||Loysi Inclán / Cuba|
|First Class (Oscar Tela Renta)||Manolo Ortega / Cuba|
|The orphans of the Obrapía (Andresito)||Rafael (Cheito) González / Cuba|
Awards and honours
- Incubator Artist Program 2017. Award granted by the Museum and Cultural Affairs Department of the City of El Paso, Texas (United States).
- · Special Jury Prize (Theater Category) in the 2016 Casa Teatro International Literature Competition (Dominican Republic)
- "Jazz Vilá" . IMDb . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- management (November 18, 2018). «“ Farándula ”, the Jazz Vilá Projects play, arrived in the United States (+ photos)» . Cuba Trendings . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- Las orfanas de la Obra Pía (TV Series 2000–) (in English) , consulted on January 3, 2019
- [ http://www.radioenciclopedia.cu/noticias/anuncian-nueva-propuesta-teatral-jazz-vila-20160204/ «Announce new theatrical proposal of Jazz Vil »]. www.radioenciclopedia.cu . Retrieved January 3, 2019 .
- "Young people dream of skyscrapers" . Radio and Television Martí | RadioTelevisionMarti.com . Retrieved January 3, 2019 .
- «Jazz Vilá“ Theater, his is pure theater ”Jazz Vilá“ Theater, his is pure theater ”» . News from Havana . June 18, 2018 . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- «Jazz Vilá collaborates with performances of the Montecarlo Ballet in Cuba - ACN» . www.acn.cu . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- "With art, home again . " www.juventudrebelde.cu . Retrieved January 3, 2019 .
- «Juan de los muertos» Goya Awards 2019 » . www.premiosgoya.com . Retrieved January 3, 2019 .
- «Jazz Vilá:" The steps that have been taken in Cuba around homosexuality are palpable certainties " » . G environment . July 19, 2011 . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- noticine.com http://noticine.com/iberoamerica/36-iberoamerica/15873-jazz-vila-camino-de-sitges-como-el-travesti-qmata-zombisq-de-qjuan-de-los-muertosq. Untitled html ( help ) . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- «Jazz Vila:" I will remember this character throughout my career " » . Gay Universe . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- "The theatrical phenomenon Jazz Vilá Project" . the TOUCH . August 17, 2018 . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- Espinosa, Norge (August 27, 2018). "Her name is Carmen, Carmen the Cuban (+ Photos) (+ Trailer)" . Cubahora . Retrieved June 25, 2019 .
- "Jazz Vilá wins a prize in the United States for his next work" . Vistar Magazine . September 22, 2017 . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- Skam España (TV Series 2018–) (in English) , accessed December 27, 2018
- Lang, Jamie (May 28, 2019). "Latido Films Announces 'Hotel Coppelia,' and a Swathe of Cannes Sales (EXCLUSIVE)" . Variety (in English) . Retrieved June 23, 2019 .
- "The Karl Marx Theater performs its most diverse gala . " Vistar Magazine . May 13, 2019 . Retrieved June 23, 2019 .
- «The comedy Eclipse, with the Cuban collective Jazz Vila Projects this weekend at Casa de Teatro» . www.diariolibre.com . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- Padín, Iviani. "Jazz Vilá, a star that beats" . Havana2GO . Archived from the original on December 28, 2018 . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .
- « " Life is a dream ", a historical presentation for El Paso | Spotlight EP News » . spotlightepnews.com . Retrieved December 29, 2018 .
- «Director Jazz Vilá seeks El Pasoans for play» . El Paso Times (English) . Retrieved December 27, 2018 .