In 1982 he submitted his dissertation, supervised by Klaus Müller , at the University of Düsseldorf on “The Reformed rural community in East Friesland in the 17th century”. After completing his habilitation in 1993, he took up chairs in Greifswald , Rostock , Dresden and Duisburg . In the 2005/2006 winter semester, he was appointed to the professorship “Regional History of the Rhine-Maas Region” at the University of Duisburg-Essen .
- The reformed rural community in East Friesland in the 17th century. Studies on the change in social and church structures in a rural society . Frankfurt am Main 1982, ISBN 3-8204-7130-8 .
- State history of North Rhine-Westphalia . Stuttgart 1994, ISBN 3-8001-2686-9 .
- The Duchy of Berg in the era of the French Revolution. Modernization processes between the Bavarian and French models . Paderborn 1996, ISBN 3-506-73270-6 .
- Spaces and boundaries from a historical perspective. The development of the German-Dutch border over the centuries . Grefrath 1997, ISBN 3-932793-03-X .
- Simone Frank, Christian Krumm and Holger Schmenk (eds.): Festschrift for Jörg Engelbrecht on his 60th birthday (= Rhine-Maas, studies on history, language and culture. Vol. 3). Verlag Nicole Schmenk, Oberhausen 2012, ISBN 978-3-943022-10-0 .
- Obituary for Prof. Dr. Jörg Engelbrecht
- Jörg Engelbrecht in the FID Benelux research directory
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||26. April 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Düsseldorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||9. June 2012|
|Place of death||Düsseldorf|