Jörg Hammer - Jörg Hammer
Jörg Hammer (born February 27, 1958 in Angermünde ; † February 28, 2019 in Hanover ) was a German geologist at the Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources in Hanover and a professor at the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University of Hanover .
Hammer was born in 1958 in Angermünde in the Uckermark as the son of Brigitte and Reinhard Hammer and grew up with a sister and a brother in Schwedt / Oder . After graduating from high school, he began studying geology at the Mining Institute in Leningrad in the Soviet Union (today Saint Petersburg State Mining University in Saint Petersburg , Russia ), from which he graduated in 1982 as a mining engineer with "distinction". He then took up a position as an assistant at the Mineralogical Institute of the Bergakademie Freiberg (today Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg) and received his doctorate in 1986 with Hans Jürgen Rösler with a thesis on the "geochemistry of selected elements and their binding relationships in the copper slate of the Sangerhäuser Mulde"  with "summa cum laude". After completing his doctorate, he moved to the Institute for Geosciences at the University of Greifswald and completed his habilitation in 1995 at the TU Bergakademie Freiberg with a thesis on "Geochemistry and Petrogenesis of the Cadomian and Late Variscan Granitoids of Lusatia"  .
From 1996 to 2002 he led a research project on the retention of pollutants in the Schönberg / Ihlenberg landfill . The results of these investigations were published in Volume 9 of the “Handbook for the investigation of the subsurface of landfills and contaminated sites”  .
Since 2002 Jörg Hammer has worked as a research assistant at the Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR) and followed Otto Bornemann  as head of department and later as head of the department.
Jörg Hammer died after a short illness on February 28, 2019 in Hanover.
Jörg Hammer's main area of work was the exploration of saline structures, the structural geological and material - ie mineralogical - geochemical - investigation, characterization and evaluation of possible locations for the disposal of radioactive waste in the host rocks as well as the analysis and evaluation of the barrier properties of these rock complexes. This made him one of the very few geologists working in repository research who had extensive knowledge and practical experience with all three host rock types rock salt       , mudstone  and crystalline      .
Hammer was significantly involved in all of BGR's important geological work for repository projects in the Federal Republic of Germany and, with his expertise, shaped the methodology of the geological characterization and evaluation of repository rock formations. His work continues to be indispensable for the site selection process currently in progress in Germany.  Jörg Hammer also received recognition and appreciation on an international scale, especially for his scientific contributions and for his constant endeavors to integrate Russian colleagues internationally. He was particularly involved in the development of German-Russian cooperation on repository safety research, most recently as its specialist coordinator on behalf of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy.
Publishing research results as quickly as possible was a matter of course in Jörg Hammer's scientific life. More than 100 publications, numerous research reports and specialist lectures are evidence of both his research activities and his tireless zeal for publication, which reached into the popular scientific field  .
An important concern for Jörg Hammer was the promotion of young talent. His project work often took place in close cooperation with universities and colleges, whereby he attached great importance to the participation of young graduates, whom he introduced to the important topic of repository research. To this end, he also made use of direct contact with university teaching and research. At the end of 2018, Hammer had accepted a teaching position for engineering geology at the Institute for Geology at Leibniz University Hannover. In this way, a school of young geoscientists was created, who continue their work in his sense.
Hammer co-organized a number of international conferences. This included B. the "GeoHannover 2012"   , which took place from October 1st to 3rd, 2012 at Leibniz Universität Hannover, and as a result of which he worked as a guest editor with Gernold Zulauf on the volume "Salt rocks: composition, structure and deformation behavior ”of the journal of the German Society for Geosciences  . Another such international conference was the "9th Conference on the Mechanical Behavior of Salt" (SaltMech IX)  , which was held from September 12 to 14, 2018 in the BGR Hannover and for its proceedings published in 2018 he was also an associate editor. Since 2018 he has also been co-editor of the journal of the German Society for Geosciences .
- Ralph Watzel, Sandra Fahland, Stefan Heusermann, Jürgen Krone, Gernold Admissions: Jörg Hammer 1958–2019 . In: GMIT Geoscientific Communications . tape 76 , June 2019, 2019, ISSN 1616-3931 , p. 122.
- Obituary notice , published in the Märkische Oderzeitung on March 10, 2019
- Jörg Hammer: On the geochemistry of selected elements and their binding relationships in the copper slate of the Sangerhausen Mulde (unpublished dissertation A) . Institute for Mineralogy, Bergakademie Freiberg, Freiberg i. 1986, p. 1–121.
- Jörg Hammer: Geochemistry and Petrogenesis of the Cadomian and Late Variscan Granitoids of the Lausitz . In: Freiberg research books . Series C Geosciences, Paleontology. tape 463 . TU Bergakademie, Freiberg 1996, ISBN 3-86012-022-0 , p. 1–107.
- Jörg Hammer: Quaternary sediments as geological barriers . In: State Office for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Geology Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (Ed.): Manual for exploring the subsoil of landfills and contaminated sites . 1st edition. tape 9 . Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg ua 2014, ISBN 978-3-540-43684-3 (499 S.).
- Michael Schramm, Jörg Hammer: OTTO BORNEMANN (1943-2010) . In: Geologia . tape 37 , No. 2, 2019, S. 339–342 (edu.pl [PDF; 123 kB ; accessed on August 10, 2019]).
- Otto Bornemann, Joachim Behlau, Reinhard Fischbeck, Jörg Hammer, Werner Jaritz, Siegfried Keller, Gerhard Mingerzahn, Michael Schramm: Results of the surface and underground exploration of the Salinar . Location description Gorleben, part 3. In: Federal Institute for Geosciences and Raw Materials and State Office for Mining, Energy and Geology (Ed.): Geological yearbook . Row C, No. 73. Schweizerbart, Stuttgart 2008, ISBN 978-3-510-95964-8 (211 S.).
- Otto Bornemann, Joachim Behlau, Reinhard Fischbeck, Jörg Hammer, Werner Jaritz, Siegfried Keller, Gerhard Mingerzahn, Michael Schramm: Results of the geological surface and underground exploration of the salt formation . Description of the Gorleben site, Part 3. Ed .: Federal Institute for Geosciences and Raw Materials and State Office for Mining, Energy and Geology. 1st edition. BGR, Hannover 2008, ISBN 978-3-9813373-6-5 (English, 223 pages).
- Jörg Hammer, Stephanie Fleig, Gerhard Mingerzahn, Tatjana Kühnlenz, Michael Mertineit, Maximilian Pusch, Michael Schramm, Joachim Behlau, Britta Zaretzki, Jürgen Hesser, Hua Shao, Angelika Köthe, Peter Vogel: Salt geological evaluation of the influence of "cryogenic fissures" and halokinetic deformation processes on the integrity of the geological barrier of the Gorleben salt dome: report on work package 2 (created by BGR) . Preliminary safety analysis for the Gorleben site. Ed .: Federal Institute for Geosciences and Raw Materials. 1st edition. GRS, no. 273 . Society for Plant and Reactor Safety, Cologne, Garching b. Munich, Berlin, Braunschweig 2014, ISBN 978-3-939355-49-6 (86 pp., Grs.de [PDF; 6.3 MB ; accessed on August 10, 2019]).
- Jörg Hammer, Gernold Feed: Editorial . In: Jörg Hammer, Gernold Zulauf (Ed.): Salt rocks: composition, structure and deformation behavior . Journal of the German Society for Geosciences (conference publication). tape 165 , No. 1. Schweizerbart, Stuttgart 2014, S. 1 (English, 122 pages).
- Klaus Reinhold, Jörg Hammer: Rock salt storage in the saline formations of Germany . In: Journal of the German Society for Geosciences . tape 167 , No. 2/3, 2019, S. 167–190 , doi : 10.1127 / zdgg / 2016/0067 (English).
- Wilhelm Bollingerfehr, Niklas Bertrams, Dieter Buhmann, Ralf Eickemeier, Sandra Fahland, Wolfgang Filbert, Jörg Hammer, Jonathan Kindlein, Markus Knauth, Wenting Liu, Wolfgang Minkley, Jörg Mönig, Till Popp, Sabine Prignitz, Klaus Reinhold, Eric Simo, Tatjana Thiemeyer, Eike Völkner, Jens Wolf: KOSINA - Concept developments for a generic repository for heat-generating waste in bedded salt formations in Germany. BGE TECHNOLOGY GmbH, Peine, 2018, pp. 1–116 , accessed on April 29, 2020 (English).
- Tilo Kneuker, Jörg Hammer, Hua Shao, Kristof Schuster, Markus Furche, Gernold Zulauf: Microstructure and composition of brittle faults in claystones of the Mont Terri rock laboratory (Switzerland): New data from petrographic studies, geophysical borehole logging and permeability tests. In: Engineering Geology. Band 231, 2017, S. 139–156 , doi : 10.1016 / j.enggeo.2017.10.016 (English).
- Vladislav Petrov, Valery Poluektov, Jörg Hammer, Sergey Schukin: Fault-related barriers for uranium transport. In: Broder J. Merkel, Andrea Hasche-Berger (Hrsg.): Uranium, Mining and Hydrogeology. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg 2008, ISBN 978-3-540-87745-5, S. 779-790 , doi : 10.1007 / 978-3-540-87746-2_101 (English, researchgate.net [PDF; 870 kB ; accessed on August 10, 2019]).
- Michael Jobmann (Editor), Dirk-Alexander Becker, Jörg Hammer, Steffen Jahn, Andree Lommerzheim, Nina Müller-Hoeppe, Ulrich Noseck, Jürgen Krone, Jan Richard Weber, Axel Weitkamp, Jens Wolf: Project CHRISTA . Feasibility study for the development of a safety and verification method for a repository for heat-generating waste in crystalline rock in Germany. 1st edition. DBE Technology GmbH, Peine 2016, doi : 10.2314 / GBV: 873762959 (124 p., Tib.eu [PDF; 5.0 MB ; accessed on August 10, 2019]).
- Irina Vlasova, Vladimir Petrov, Natalia Kuzmenkova, Artem Kashtanov, Vladislav Petrov, Valery Poluektov, Stepan Kalmykov, Jörg Hammer: Sorption of radionuclides on the rocks of the exocontact zone of Nizhnekansky granitoid massif. In: MRS Advances (Scientific Basis for Nuclear Waste Management XXXIX). Band 1 , No. 61, 2016, S. 4061–4067 , doi : 10.1557 / adv.2017.190 (English, researchgate.net [PDF; 724 kB ; accessed on August 10, 2019]).
- Anastasiya A.Rodionova, Vladimir G. Petrov, Irina E. Vlasova, Stepan N. Kalmykov, Vladislav A. Petrov, Valery V. Poluektov, Jörg Hammer: The radionuclide distribution onto different mineral phases of the rocks of the exocontact zone of Nizhnekansky granitoid massif. In: Perspectives in Science. Band 12, 2019, S. 100406 , doi : 10.1016 / j.pisc.2019.100406 (englisch, elsevier.com [PDF; 955 kB ; accessed on August 10, 2019]).
- Vladimir G. Petrov, Irina E. Vlasova, Anastasiya A. Rodionova, Vasily O. Yapaskurt, Vadim V. Korolev, Vladislav A. Petrov, Valery V. Poluektov, Jörg Hammer, Stepan N. Kalmykov: Preferential sorption of radionuclides on different mineral phases typical for host rocks at the site of the future Russian high level waste repository. In: Applied Geochemistry. Band 100, 2019, S. 90–95 , doi : 10.1016 / j.apgeochem.2018.11.007 (English, researchgate.net [PDF; 1.3 MB ; accessed on August 10, 2019]).
- Ralph Watzel, Sandra Fahland, Stefan Heusermann, Jürgen Krone, Gernold Zulauf: Jörg Hammer 1958–2019 . In: GMIT Geoscientific Communications . tape 76 , June 2019, 2019, ISSN 1616-3931 , p. 122.
- Michael Schramm, Jörg Hammer: The salt of the seas that has become stone . How salt deposits form, spread and build. In: Mikel Landa, Luke Duggleby (ed.): Salt of the earth . 1st edition. Mareverlag, Hamburg 2015, ISBN 978-3-86648-224-1 , p. 336 (348 S.).
- GeoHannover 2012. In: schweizerbart.de. German Society for Geosciences, accessed on August 10, 2019 .
- 9th Conference on the Mechanical Behavior of Salt. In: saltmech.com. SaltMech IX, abgerufen am 10. August 2019 (englisch).
- Sandra Fahland, Jörg Hammer, Frank Hansen, Stefan Heuser, Karl-Heinz Lux, Wolfgang Minkley: Foreword . In: Sandra Fahland, Jörg Hammer, Frank Hansen, Stefan Heusermann, Karl-Heinz Lux, Wolfgang Minkley (Eds.): The Mechanical Behavior of Salt IX . Proceedings of the 9th Conference on the Mechanical Behavior of Salt (SaltMech IX), Hannover, Germany, September 12-14, 2018. 1st edition. Federal Institute for Geosciences and Natural Resources (BGR), Hannover 2018, ISBN 978-3-9814108-6-0 , p. 3 (English, 1024 pages).
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German geologist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 27, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Angermünde|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 28, 2019|
|Place of death||Hannover|