From 1986 to 1988 he completed an apprenticeship as a plasterer and from 1987 to 1990 he studied painting at the Leipzig University of Graphics and Book Art and at the Berlin-Weißensee School of Art .  He took part in Documenta X in 1997 in Kassel and in the 1995 Venice Biennale . His installation Lichtschleife mit Datumslinie  is located in the outer courtyard of the Paul Löbe House , a new parliament building north of the Reichstag building .
In 2003 he and his partner Jacqueline Richard had a daughter.
Herold lives in Mecklenburg and Berlin. 
- Susanne Pfleger (Ed.): Jörg Herold - Testimonies and writings from the journey of a documentary archaeologist 2000-5 . Hatje Cantz Verlag, Ostfildern-Ruit 2006, ISBN 3-7757-1669-6 .
- Berlin draws (book accompanying the exhibition): ... Jörg Herold (pp. 74–77) ... , Geuer & Breckner, Düsseldorf 2010, ISBN 978-3-939452-04-1 .
- Literature by and about Jörg Herold in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jörg Herold on kunstaspekte.de
- Materials by and about Jörg Herold in the documenta archive
- Lithographs by Jörg Herold
- Evelyn ter Vehn: Jörg Herold - Biographische Daten ( Memento of the original from June 19, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: Leipziger Volkszeitung online, accessed on July 26, 2010
- Description light loop with date line
- Wolfsburg sketches
- Villa Massimo | Jörg Herold. Retrieved August 20, 2019 .
- I am making myself an old home new in FAZ from July 12, 2014, p. 15
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German visual artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3. May 1965|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Leipzig|