From 1978 to 1983 Jörg Petruschat studied cultural studies , art history and philosophical aesthetics at the Humboldt University of Berlin (HU) . He graduated with a diploma. From 1983 to 1984 he designed and realized exhibitions for the Design Center Berlin. In 1984 he received his doctorate from the Humboldt University in Berlin with a thesis on the functionalism of Shaker communities  .
He then worked as a specialist editor at the trade journal for industrial design " form + Zweck " until 1987 , and from 1990 to 2008 its editor. With his editorship, the focus was expanded to a "magazine for design". This work focused on editions on ecology and design , morphology and neobiology, on the tangibility of the digital, on the paradigms of information and networking.
Together with Achim Trebeß, he founded a half-yearly journal on aesthetic theory formation in 1988, the "offer", including texts by Heiner Müller , Claude Schnaidt , Günter Mayer , Karin Hirdina , Wolfgang Heise , Dietmar Kamper , Georg Knepler , Daniel Charles, Dietrich Mühlberg , Karlheinz Barck , Rudolf Bahro , Michael Franz , Friedrich Kittler . The last issue was published in 1995.
From 1986 to 1998 he taught at the Institute for Aesthetics at the HU Berlin, since 1994 assigned to Friedrich Kittler's chair (Aesthetics and History of Media) as a research assistant. In 1998 he was appointed as the successor to Andreas Dorschel as professor for cultural and civilization theory as well as for the history of design at the department of design at the Dresden University of Technology and Economics . Here he founded the Institute for Innovation and Design (iid) together with Holger Jahn in June 2005, which he headed until 2014 and which he dissolved when he left Dresden. Jörg Petruschat has been Professor of Theory and History of Design at the Weißensee Kunsthochschule Berlin since the 2014 winter semester.
In his theoretical work, Jörg Petruschat says he develops arguments for the knowledge and discourse character of design as a draft and as an objective mediation of behavior. He sees design as the draft of cultural models and defines culture as the "conditions that are given to individuals in order to make something special out of themselves". His understanding of design is based on human creativity, but conceptually includes the evolution of organisms and digitally based evolutions; he calls design the "change of routines according to a self-model".
- Disobedience of the problems, Berlin 2017
- DesignTalks: Conversations on design, technology, culture, Berlin 2014 
- Prototype! Tackling New Challenges in Design and Engineering, mit Julian Adenauer, Berlin 2012
- design-design: Technical dictionary for design / Design Dictionary, with Angelika Petruschat, Berlin 2009 
- The tangibility of the digital (form + Zweck 22) with Johann Habakuk Israel, Berlin 2008 
- Design (form + purpose 21) with Chup Friemert, Berlin 2005
- hfg ulm (form + Zweck 20) with Chup Friemert and Till Bruttel, Berlin 2003
- Morphology / Neobiology (form + Zweck 17), Berlin 2000
- Text, textile, texture (form + Zweck 15), Berlin 1998
- To adapt the design to digital media (form + Zweck 14), with Chup Friemert, Berlin 1997 
- Ecology and Design (form + Zweck 1), Berlin 1991
- Jörg Petruschat: On the representational and spatial design of the Shakers: e. Contribution to history d. Functionalism . ( dnb.de [accessed on May 4, 2017]).
- Jörg Petruschat: Design Talks: Conversations on design, technology, culture . Form + Zweck, Berlin 2015, ISBN 978-3-935053-83-9 , p. 109.
- Prototype! physical, virtual, hybrid, smart; tackling new challenges in design and engineering . Form + Zweck, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-935053-60-0 ( dnb.de [accessed on May 4, 2017]).
- Design: specialist dictionary for design = design . Form - + - Zweck-Verl, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-935053-14-3 ( dnb.de [accessed on May 4, 2017]).
- The perceptibility of the digital (= form + purpose: [...], German edition . 22nd vol. 40). Form - + - Zweck-Verl, Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-935053-19-8 ( dnb.de [accessed on May 4, 2017]).
- To adapt the design to the digital media (= form + purpose: [...], German edition . Volume 14, vol. 29). Form und Zweck, Berlin 1997, ISBN 978-3-9804679-3-3 ( dnb.de [accessed on May 4, 2017]).
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German cultural scientist and philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|