Roesler studied economic history from 1959 to 1964 at the Humboldt University in Berlin and later taught there as an assistant or senior assistant at the Institute for Economic History . In 1968 he received his doctorate. From 1974 to 1991 Roesler was a division or department head at the Institute for Economic History of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR . 1975 followed the doctorate B to Dr. sc. oec., appointed professor in 1983. 
In 1992 he received a visiting professorship at McGill University in Montreal, and in 1994/95 he received a further visiting professorship in Toronto, Canada. In the 2006 summer semester, he taught at Portland State University in the USA. Until 1995 Roesler worked as a research assistant at the Center for Contemporary History in Potsdam.
His main research interests are the history of the GDR and its economy, in particular the social history of work and the contradictions between the demands and reality of the GDR planned economy.
- The distribution of decision-making powers between the business management bodies and the centrally managed mechanical engineering companies when drawing up the annual production plan from 1948 to 1958. Dissertation, University of Berlin, 1968.
- The development of the socialist planned economy in the GDR: tasks, methods and results of economic planning in the centrally managed state-owned industry during the transition period from capitalism to socialism (= research on economic history. Vol. 11). Academy, Berlin 1978 (Dissertation B, University of Berlin, 1975).
- with Renate Schwärzel, Veronika Siedt: Production growth and effectiveness in branches of industry in the GDR: 1950–1970 (= research on economic history. Vol. 22). Academy, Berlin 1983.
- with Veronika Siedt, Michael Elle: Economic growth in industry in the GDR 1945–1970 (= research on economic history. Vol. 23). Academy, Berlin 1986.
- Between plan and market. The economic reform in the GDR 1963–1970. Haufe, Freiburg im Breisgau 1990.
- The New Economic System - Change of Decoration or Paradigm? Helle Panke eV, Berlin 1993
- The Union of States in Modern History: A Current Occasion Inquiry. Lang, Frankfurt am Main 1999.
- with Dagmar Semmelmann : "... nothing works without energy!" The East German energy industry from the combines to VEAG (1980–2001). VEAG, Berlin 2001.
Efforts to secure secession in Europe in the 20th century "(= Pankower lectures 48), Helle Panke eV, Berlin 2002
- Moments of German-German economic and social history 1945–1990. An analysis on an equal footing. Leipziger Universitätsverlag, Leipzig 2006, ISBN 3-86583-096-X .
- The reconstruction lie of the Federal Republic: or: how the neoliberals produce their "arguments". Dietz, Berlin 2008.
- Compact economic history of Latin America from the 18th to the 21st century. Leipziger Universitätsverlag, Leipzig 2009.
- History of the GDR. Papy-Rossa, Cologne 2012, ISBN 978-3-89438-499-9 .
- What would have happened if ... Thinking about alternatives to the course of GDR history , Helle Panke eV, Berlin 2013
- Was there no alternative to the trustee's approach? The answer of the economic historian , Helle Panke eV, Berlin 2019
- The Rise and Fall of the Planned Economy in the GDR 1945–1989. In: German History, 1/1991.
- Industrial innovations and industrial espionage in the GDR. In: Germany Archive, 10/1994.
- Problems of everyday brigade life. Employment conditions and working atmosphere in state-owned companies 1950–1989. In: From Politics and Contemporary History, B38 / 1997;
- A Western package for Honecker? German-German economic relations. In: Christian Härtel , Petra Kabus (eds.), Das Westpaket, Berlin 2000.
- Colloquium in honor of Prof. Dr. Jörg Roesler on the occasion of his 60th birthday.Unions and reunions in modern European history. From the Italian in 1860 to the second German in 1990 (= Pankower lectures 35) Helle Panke, Berlin 2001.
- More than Descamisados of Evita. Workers and labor movement in Argentina under the influence of Peronism. In: Yearbook for Research on the History of the Labor Movement , Issue I / 2013.
- With or against the will of the workforce? Privatization in Poland and the new federal states 1990 to 1995 in comparison. In: Yearbook for Research on the History of the Labor Movement , Volume II / 2015.
- Literature by and about Jörg Roesler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Texts by Jörg Roesler on Linksnet.de
- Vademecum of the historical sciences. Edition 1994/1995. Franz Steiner, Stuttgart 1994, p. 429.
- See biographical information from www.helle-panke.de
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German economic historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||25. November 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|