Three Jewish cemeteries are documented in the independent city of Speyer in Rhineland-Palatinate : the no longer existing Medieval Cemetery , the no longer existing St. Klara cemetery and the so-called New Cemetery , which is a division of the Speyer cemetery .
The medieval cemetery of the Jewish community in Speyer was located in the first known Jewish quarter of Speyer. This was outside the then city of Speyer in the village of Altspeyer (later the suburb of Altspeyer) and was established in 1084 as the bishop Rüdiger Huzmanntook in a large number of Jews, where Jews may have lived here before. In 1084 the quarter was also walled. The cemetery of this quarter, on which probably from 11./12. Until the 17th century Jews were buried, was located directly on the western wall of the suburb. On a city map from 1525, it stretched from the Turm zur Tanne in the south (today around the corner of Bahnhofstrasse and Prinz-Luitpold-Strasse) to the Turm zur Erle in the north (now around the corner of Bahnhofstrasse and Schubertstrasse) to around today's Richard-Wagner Road to the east. As a result of the pogroms in 1349, the cemetery was plowed, but in 1358 it was leased to individual Jews. After the expulsion of the Jews in 1405, the area became the property of a Christian before it was returned to the Jews in 1429. In 1435, after the expulsion of the Jews, the land became the property of the city and was leased to Christians. The slum hostel was finally laid out on the site in the 18th century.
After the cemetery was closed, the tombstones were used as building material, which is why Jewish tombstones from the 12th to 14th centuries were found during demolition work in the 19th and 20th centuries (e.g. demolition of the old salt tower bridge). These were stored for many years in the depot of the Historisches Museum der Pfalz in Speyer, which they only left for exhibitions, and were finally exhibited in the SchPIRA Museum.
Friedhof St. Done
The cemetery on St.-Klara-Kloster-Weg was created after the resettlement of Jews during the French rule over Speyer at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1888 the Jewish community gave up the cemetery because it was completely occupied and apparently there was no way to expand it. In return, the Jews were given permission to bury their dead in an area of the New Cemetery . Today only the preserved mortuary hall (today garage) and the also preserved east wall on the street Am Nonnengarten remind of the cemetery. Gravestones have not survived.
The New Cemetery is located in the "Judengärtel" ( New Speyer Cemetery on Wormser Landstrasse and was laid out in 1888 when the St Klara was completely occupied. In 1940 the burials ended temporarily. There were individual burials in 1965 and 1973. The cemetery, which has been occupied since 1980, has 257 gravestones. This area is also listed as a monument zone in the list of cultural monuments in Speyer .), a division of the
- Speyer (Rhineland-Palatinate) Jewish cemeteries near Alemannia Judaica (with numerous photos)
- Speyer (medieval cemetery) , Speyer (St. Klara) and Speyer (new cemetery) In: Overview of all projects for the documentation of Jewish grave inscriptions in the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany ; here: Rhineland-Palatinate; Editor: Claudia Pohl; Version: November 2006 , Central Archives for Research into the History of Jews in Germany
- First = old Jewish cemetery on the main cemetery in Speyer (three photos)
- New Jewish Cemetery (Speyer) on YouTube
- Digital edition of the spoils of the medieval cemetery ( Steinheim Institute )
- Online documentation of the New Jewish Cemetery with photos and search function