The medieval Jewish community in Bingen did not have its own cemetery; it buried its deceased in the cemetery in Mainz . The Jewish cemetery in Bingen was laid out in the second half of the 16th century. According to the congregation's memorandum created in 1789, the first burial took place in 1562.
The oldest part of the cemetery is to the east of the 265 m long but differently wide property. The cemetery was also used for burial by the surrounding Jewish communities. In the course of time, extensions were necessary again and again. It is believed that the old part, which has 610 tombstones, has been heaped up at least once and used again.
Today's entrance lies between the older, eastern part and the newer western part, which was laid out in 1856. The cemetery of the Orthodox Jewish community has been located in the southwest corner of the cemetery area since 1872 , and was separated by a wall until 1925.
Despite repeated desecrations, the Jewish cemetery has escaped destruction over the centuries, including the time of National Socialism . With over 1000 tombstones ( Mazewot ) it is one of the most important Jewish cemeteries in Rhineland-Palatinate. The oldest tombstone is from 1602.
- Klaus-Dieter Alicke: Lexicon of the Jewish communities in the German-speaking area. Volume 1: Aach - Groß-Bieberau. Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2008, ISBN 978-3-579-08077-2 ( online version ).
- To the Jewish cemetery in Bingen am Rhein near Alemannia Judaica
- Jewish Bingen working group
- Jewish cemetery Bingen am Rhein at the central archive for research into the history of Jews in Germany
- Digital Edition - Bingen Jewish Cemetery (1602-1968 / 880 entries) of the Salomon Ludwig Steinheim Institute