The old Jewish cemetery Prague-Žižkov (Czech Židovský hřbitov v Praze-Žižkově ) is one of the Jewish cemeteries in Prague and is located in the Žižkov district . It is located in the Mahlerovy sady park, right next to the television tower .
The Jewish cemetery in Žižkov was founded in 1680 and was mainly used during the plague epidemics (1679 to 1680 and 1713 to 1714), but regularly only from 1787, when burials in the city center were banned by Emperor Joseph II and the old cemetery could no longer be used in the Josefov district .
When a municipal cemetery for Prague was created in the Olšany area of the Žižkov district at the end of the 19th century , the Jewish community acquired a plot of over 100,000 m² immediately next to it and in 1890 established the New Jewish Cemetery with space for around 100,000 graves. At the same time, burials in the old Jewish cemetery in Žižkov were stopped.
After renovation, the old Jewish cemetery in Žižkov was opened to the public again in 2001.
- Arno Parik, Vlastimila Hamackova; Dana Cabanová, Petr Kliment (Fotos): Prager juddische Friedhöfe . = Prague Jewish cemeteries . = Prague Jewish cemeteries (Übersetzt Stephen Hattersly von und Peter Zieschang) Jüdisches Museum, Prague 2003, ISBN 80-85608-69-3 ( englisch / deutsch / englisch ).