The Rathenow Jewish Cemetery is located in the Rathenow district of the city of Rathenow in the Havelland district in Brandenburg . The approx. 2000 m² Jewish cemetery , which is owned by the city of Rathenow, is located east of the town center Rathenow in the district of Neu Friedrichsdorf south of the B 188 on Neufriedrichsdorfer Straße, to the north directly adjacent to the Christian cemetery. There are 13 tombstones . A memorial stone with a Star of David erected on August 24, 1997 in the cemetery near the entrance bears the inscription: “The Rathenow Holocaust Victims Jewish faith in memory ”.
The cemetery was laid out in 1906 and was occupied from 1916 to December 1941. During the Nazi era and afterwards it was destroyed and largely cleared away. In 1941 the tombstones were destroyed by six young people (the "young people") and a larger hole was made in the wall surrounding the cemetery. After 1945 the cemetery was used as a garbage dump and in the 1970s it was turned into a simple green area . The 13 gravestones found were first placed in a gravel bed in a semicircle and in 1993 on a foundation along the eastern wall. During the renovation of the cemetery in 2019, the masonry was improved and the metal entrance gate and the path across the cemetery were renovated. After the work was completed, the cemetery was rededicated.
Old Jewish Cemetery
A first Jewish cemetery (first mentioned in 1699) was probably established in Rathenow in the 17th century. Until the beginning of the 20th century, the cemetery, which was registered on a city map from 1802 and adjoined the site of the synagogue inaugurated in 1926 in today's Wilhelm-Külz-Straße (formerly: Fabrikenstraße), was occupied. At the request of the city of Rathenow, it was closed in 1904 and probably destroyed and cleared away during the Nazi era or afterwards. In 1961 the last bricks disappeared from the cemetery wall of the cemetery, of which nothing has survived today.
- Rathenow (Brandenburg). In: Klaus-Dieter Alicke : Lexicon of the Jewish communities in the German-speaking area . Volume 3: Ochtrup - Zwittau. Gütersloher Verlagshaus, Gütersloh 2008, ISBN 978-3-579-08079-6 ( online version ).
- List of architectural monuments in Rathenow # Rathenow , therein: "Jewish graves"
- List of Jewish cemeteries in Germany # Brandenburg
- Rathenow (HVL) - Jewish cemeteries on alemannia-judaica.de, accessed on October 17, 2020
- Documentation from the University of Potsdam on the Rathenow Jewish cemetery with subpages on the history of the Jewish community, the history of the cemetery, the layout of the cemetery with a map and an occupancy list
- Website of the Chewra Kadischa eV Land Brandenburg on the Jewish cemetery Rathenow