Jewish cemetery (Suhl) - Jüdischer Friedhof (Suhl)
The brothers Löb and Moses Simson were allowed to settle in Suhl in 1848 as the first Jews since the 16th century. In 1880 there were 91 Jewish people living in the city and in 1905 there were around 150. Since 1859 they formed a synagogue community with the Jewish inhabitants of Heinrich . In 1932/33 there were 120 Jewish people living in the city, in 1939 there were still 20 to 30. In 1942 the last Jews in Suhl were deported. Two survived the Holocaust because they were married to a non-Jewish woman. A synagogue was inaugurated on August 7, 1906, which was destroyed during the November 1938 pogroms . Until the cemetery was set up in Suhl in 1903, the religious community used theJewish cemetery in Heinrichs .
Location and characterization
The cemetery is on the Hoheloh , on the street victims of fascism opposite or west of the main cemetery of the city of Suhl. On an area of 18.3 acres there are 56 tombs in 13 rows. To the right behind the entrance gate, which was renovated in 2010, is a Tahara house , which was built in 1937, and a water supply point. Both structures bear the Star of David .
The tombstones do not have any special traditional Jewish shapes and are predominantly made of black granite . They mostly have German and Hebrew inscriptions. Monumental tombs have members of the Simson family. The Gerson couple (1845–1904), son of Moses Simson and owners of the Simson works , and Janette Simson (1847–1926) are reminiscent of a three-winged complex made of black, polished granite. It consists of a gate-like central element and two flank elements, which have cuboids and spheres as the upper edge termination. The grave monument of her son Leonhard (1878–1929), who was swimming in the Chiemseefatally injured, is a walk-in, temple-like complex, in which gray, polished limestone was used. Hugo Rehbock was last buried in the cemetery in 1966 and his non-Jewish wife Emma Rehbock in 1976.
- Ulrike Jähnichen: The Jewish cemeteries in Heinrichs and Suhl. Documentation. City administration Suhl, Suhl 2002.