Westerrönfeld Jewish cemetery - Jüdischer Friedhof Westerrönfeld
In 1695 Christian V issued a privilege that allowed Jews to settle in the Neuwerk district of the city of Rendsburg and guaranteed them the freedom to practice their religion, including the establishment of a cemetery. The town commandant assigned them the land they needed, "a musket shot away from the fortress walls". The cemetery is located in today's municipality of Westerrönfeld about 1400 meters outside the fortress. The direct route from the city to the cemetery has been interrupted since the Kiel Canal was built .
After 1850 an avenue was laid out from Itzehoe Chaussee, the main street from Rendsburg to the south, to the cemetery. The cemetery was expanded in 1877. The morgue burned down in 1854 and was then renovated.
About 1100 people are buried in the cemetery. About 200 graves are still recognizable. The 140 preserved tombstones are not all in their place of installation.
The cemetery, the tombstones and the access road are entered in the list of monuments.
- The Jewish cemetery in Rendsburg (Rendsburg-Eckernförde district). Retrieved June 12, 2017 .
- Frauke Dettmer: Jewish Museum Rendsburg (= DKV-art guide . No. 634 ). Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich, Berlin 2006, ISBN 978-3-422-02005-4 .