Bortz studied psychology in Hamburg and received his doctorate in Berlin in 1968 . He then moved to the University of Erlangen as a research assistant and wrote his habilitation there in 1977 on psychological aesthetics research .
In 1972 Bortz was appointed to the Technical University of Berlin . He took over the department for psychological methodology at the Institute for Psychology. Bortz is best known for his statistics textbook for social scientists, which has been published since 1977, is standard reading at many German institutes and is briefly called "the Bortz" by professors and students.
- with Christof Schuster: Statistics. For human and social scientists , 7th edition, Springer-Medizin-Verlag , Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-642-12769-4 .
- with Gustav A. Lienert: Brief statistics for clinical research. Guide for the non-distribution analysis of small samples , 3rd edition, Springer-Medizin-Verlag, Heidelberg 2008, ISBN 978-3-540-75737-5 .
- with Gustav A. Lienert, Klaus Boehnke: Distribution-free methods in biostatistics , 3rd edition, Springer-Medizin-Verlag, Heidelberg 2008, ISBN 978-3-540-74706-2 .
- with Nicola Döring: research methods and evaluation. For human and social scientists , 4th edition, Springer-Medizin-Verlag, Berlin [among others] 2006, ISBN 978-3-540-33305-0 . ( online ).
- Daily newspapers as a means of political communication and their effect on the attitudes of readers , Nuremberg 1971.
- Speaking Voice Assessment and Judge's Speaking Voice. An experimental-statistical study on the rater-ratee problem , Technische Universität Berlin 1968. ( Dissertation )
- Literature by and about Jürgen Bortz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Interview with Jürgen Bortz in ZEIT on April 15, 2004
- A. Benecke: In memory of Prof. Jürgen Bortz (obituary) (PDF; 124 kB)
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Bortz. Statistician, psychologist, university professor . Short biography at http://www.berlin.friedparks.de/ . Retrieved November 20, 2019.
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German psychologist and statistician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 8, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kyritz|
|DATE OF DEATH||22. September 2007|
|Place of death||Berlin|