Jürgen Christian Findorff - Jürgen Christian Findorff

Jürgen Christian Findorff
Moor Commissioner J.-Chr. Findorff by Heinrich Vogeler
Coat of arms of Jürgen Christian Findorff

Jürgen Christian Findorff (born February 22, 1720 in Lauenburg / Elbe ; † July 31, 1792 in Bremervörde ; buried on August 3, 1792 in Iselersheim near Bremervörde) became known as a peat colonizer. He measured, drained and populated the moors between Wümme and Hamme , the Teufelsmoor northeast of Bremen , with colonists. Because of his commitment to the colonists, he was nicknamed the “father of all peat farmers”.

Life

Jürgen Christian Findorff was born as the son of the cabinet maker Hinrich Möller in Lauenburg on the Elbe. According to the church book, this was called "Findorff" from 1720 onwards. Like his younger brother Johann Dietrich Findorff (1722–1772), who later worked as a court painter at the Mecklenburg court, he first learned the carpentry trade from his father. At the age of 19 he took over his father's workshop. Due to his skill, the Hanoverian agricultural master supported him and provided Findorff with further training in the fields of hydraulic engineering and land surveying . Findorff led the construction of the Worpsweder Zionskirche (1757–1759), and he also designed and built the churches in Grasberg (1781–1789) and Gnarrenburg(1784-1790). He was also responsible for building mills, bridges and town halls.

Moorkolonisation

From 1751 Findorff worked on the moor colonization , a project by the Elector of Hanover to drain and settle the moors between Wümme and Hamme. He founded numerous villages in the Teufelsmoor , initially Wörpedorf (1751) and Eickedorf (1753).

Osterholzer Hafenkanal in the direction of Tietjens Hütte
Oste-Hamme Canal near Findorf

In this context, the Osterholzer Hafenkanal was built in 1765/66 , which leads from the Hamme near Tietjens Hütte to the outskirts of today's Osterholz-Scharmbeck . In addition, Findorff was involved in the construction of the Hamme-Oste Canal (1769–1790) and the Oste - Schwinge Canal (from 1772).

On September 20, 1771 he was by a certificate from Georg III. appointed official moor commissioner. That Findorff was not only concerned with the technical side of land reclamation, but also with the well-being of the settlers, can be seen from the moor catechism he wrote for Findorff settlements .

From 1782 Findorff relocated his activities in the peatland colonization in the area around Bremervörde . In total he founded 42 new villages on 140 km² of moorland. In 1799 an obelisk was erected in his memory on the Weyerberg near Worpswede .

Named after Findorff

Today streets and paths are named after him in numerous places in the region.

Exhibitions

  • 2012: The brothers Findorff - Exhibition of 18 March until 30 September 2012 in the Art Show Lilienthal the Lilienthaler Art Foundation in Lilienthal (near Bremen) [1]

literature

Weblinks

Commons : Jürgen Christian Findorff - Collection of pictures, videos and audio files

Individual evidence

  1. ^ The Findorff Brothers ( Memento of the original from November 24, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . On: Website of the Lilienthal Art Foundation , Lilienthal. Retrieved July 31, 2012.@1@2Template: Webachiv / IABot / www.kunststiftung-lilienthal.de