Jürgen Werner Friedrich Gerlach (born March 6, 1938 in Kassel ) is a business graduate, managing director, management consultant and politician from Wald-Michelbach in southern Hesse .    From September 2001 to September 2007 he was federal chairman of the Animal Welfare Party . 
Jürgen Gerlach came as the son of the building director Ernst Gerlach and his wife Eva nee. Trollers to the world. He was the second oldest of a total of six siblings. In his childhood he was mainly influenced by the post-war events and living together in a large family. He has been married since 1988 and has a son and two daughters.
From 1945 to 1949 Gerlach attended elementary school in Eschwege . Since his family had to move more often because his father was looking for a job, they finally ended up in southern Hesse, where he then attended the Alte Realgymnasium (today: Georg Büchner School ) in Darmstadt from 1949 to 1958 , where he also attended graduated from high school.
From 1958 to 1960 an apprenticeship at the Stadt- und Kreissparkasse in Darmstadt followed. He then studied industrial business administration from 1960 to 1961 at the Technical University of Darmstadt (today Technical University of Darmstadt ) and from 1961 to 1963 business administration and economics at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . During this time he also attended lectures by the sociologist and philosopher Theodor W. Adorno . The 1968 generation, whose mastermind was Adorno, also had a significant influence on Gerlach's beliefs.
From September 1963 he worked in mechanical engineering at Dr. Reutlinger & Söhne GmbH in Darmstadt. Here he worked until 1994 as an authorized signatory of this medium-sized special machine manufacturer and then as commercial director of the smaller high-tech company MG Microscope GmbH in Bammental in the field of “confocal microscopy” . In 1998 he retired for reasons of age.
In October 1995 Gerlach joined the animal welfare party and one month later co-founded its Hessian state association, which initially had about ten members.  Until 1997 he was deputy state chairman in Hesse, and in 1997 he succeeded Nadja Lindacher as state chairman. From 1997 he was a member of the federal executive committee and from 1999 as the second deputy federal chairman. From September 2001 he was federal chairman of the party after his predecessor, the author Gisela Bulla , resigned from this office in September 2000; at the same time he resigned from his position as chairman of the state of Hesse. At the federal party conference on September 29, 2007, he no longer stood. During his six-year term of office there were a total of 29 federal board meetings and eleven federal party conferences. Stefan Bernhard Eck was elected as his successor . In the following years he was again an assessor in the federal board. 
In the federal elections in 1998 , 2002 and 2005 he was the top candidate of the party's Hessian state list.    In 2002 he achieved first votes in the federal election as a direct candidate in the Bundestag constituency Bergstrasse in 1968, which made up 1.3% of all such votes.   In the Hessian state elections in 1999 and 2003 , he was also a candidate.  In the latter, he scored as a direct candidate in II constituency mountain road 1,046 votes, which corresponded to 1.8%. He also ran in the 1999 and 2004 European Parliament elections , the latter as a top candidate.   From 1997 to 2001 Gerlach also sat on the local advisory board of Unter-Schönmattenwag , a district of Wald-Michelbach, where he has lived since 1991. 
Gerlach has been a vegetarian since 1990 and a vegan since 1998 .  He was also a co-founder of Tierhilfe Odenwald eV in 1991 and became its second chairman. In 1994 this association merged with the animal protection initiative Bad König und Umgebung to form the animal protection initiative Odenwald eV, of which he has been a member since then. He is also a supporting member of the Franz Weber Foundation , which set up the International Court of Justice for Animal Rights .
Gerlach's hobbies include political animal welfare, which according to his own statements became his main occupation, the study of animal rights philosophy . He was significantly influenced by the animal rights philosophers Helmut F. Kaplan , Tom Regan , Peter Singer and Carlo Consiglio .
- with Martina Gerlach: Obituary for a chain dog or 370 days of living . In: Anke Dalder (Ed.): Different - but still happy: dogs with handicaps . Mariposa Verlag, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-927708-39-6 , pp. 29–31 (Online).
- bundeswahlleiter.de: Candidates for the Animal Welfare Party sorted by list position ( Memento from March 10, 2003 in the Internet Archive )
- tierschutzpartei.de: September 27, 2003 - 10 years of the Animal Welfare Party - Summary of the 2nd Deputy Federal Chairperson on the occasion of the anniversary party conference in FfM ( Memento from December 31, 2003 in the Internet Archive )
- zeitenwende-online.de: ZEITENWENDE July-Sep. 2007 No. 27 ( Memento of March 31, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- zeitenwende-online.de: ZEITENWENDE Oct.-Dec. 2007 No. 28 ( Memento from May 25, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- bundeswahlleiter.de: Candidates for the Federal Parliament election 2002 - State list proposals - State of Hesse ( Memento from November 2, 2002 in the Internet Archive )
- bundeswahlleiter.de: Candidates for the State of Hesse ( Memento from September 5, 2005 in the Internet Archive )
- bundeswahlleiter.de: Candidates for the Federal Parliament election 2002 - constituency 189 Bergstrasse ( Memento from March 2, 2003 in the Internet Archive )
- bundeswahlleiter.de: State of Hesse, constituency 189 - Bergstrasse ( Memento from October 28, 2003 in the Internet Archive )
- wahlen.hessen.de: Result of the state election 2003 in constituency 55 . (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on April 2, 2015 ; accessed on March 31, 2015 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- bundeswahlleiter.de: Candidate List Die Tierschutzpartei ( Memento from June 11, 2004 in the Internet Archive )
- tierschutzpartei.de : 09/27/2003 Chronicle of the Animal Welfare Party ( Memento from February 24, 2004 in the Internet Archive )
|ALTERNATIVNAMEN||Gerlach, Jürgen Werner Friedrich (full name)|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German politician (animal protection party)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 6, 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kassel|