life and career
Hammerstaedt passed the Abitur at the State Gymnasium Wesel in 1978 and studied classical philology at the University of Düsseldorf in the 1978/79 winter semester , and from 1979 to 1982 at the University of Cologne. In 1982/83 he studied at the Università degli Studi di Pisa and in 1984 passed the 1st state examination in Cologne. Rudolf Kassel accompanied his doctoral studies from 1984 to 1986 . In 1986/87 he worked at St. John's College at the University of Oxford and, after completing his Rigorosum in 1987 (University of Cologne), was a scholarship holder at the Centro Internazionale per lo Studio dei Papiri Ercolanesi in Naples from 1988 to 1991 .
As a research assistant at the Franz Joseph Dölger Institute at the University of Bonn , he worked on the Real Lexicon for Antiquity and Christianity . In 1996 he received a habilitation grant from the German Research Foundation . From 1996 to 2001 he was a research assistant at the Institute for Classical Studies at the University of Cologne (in the department for papyrology, epigraphy and numismatics of the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences ).
In 1999 he completed his habilitation in Classical Philology . In the summer semester of 2000, he was a substitute professor for Latin studies at the University of Potsdam . From 2000 to 2004 he held the chair for Greek studies at the Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena and in this function he participated in the development of the project funded by the German Research Foundation for a joint network-based indexing of the papyrus collections Jena-Halle-Leipzig. He was also a co-applicant for the graduate school “Leitbilder der Spätantike”. Since 2004 he has held the chair for Classical Philology and Papyrology at the Institute for Classical Studies at the University of Cologne.
Hammerstaedt is a member of the Commission for Greek Christian Writers of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences , head of the department for papyrology, epigraphy and numismatics of the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences at the Institute for Classical Studies and co-editor of the journal for papyrology, epigraphy and numismatics and the Epigraphica Anatolica . Since 2010 he has been a full member of the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts, a member of the Consiglio direttivo of the Centro Internazionale per lo Studio dei Papiri Ercolanesi in Napoli and a member of the central management of the German Archaeological Institute.
Hammerstaedt deals with the history of ancient philosophy, ancient poetry and poetics, ancient drama , papyrology, the Herculaneum excavation site and Christian and pagan literature from the imperial and late ancient times. Since 2007 he has been prominently involved in the search for further fragments of the work of the philosopher Diogenes von Oinoanda .
- The oracle criticism of the Cynic Oenomaus (= contributions to classical philology. Volume 188). Athenaeum, Frankfurt am Main 1988, ISBN 3-610-09013-8 .
- Greek anaphore fragments from Egypt and Nubia (= Papyrologica Coloniensia. Volume 28). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1999, ISBN 3-531-09947-7 .
- Apuleius , De Magia. Introduced, translated and provided with interpretive essays by Jürgen Hammerstaedt, Peter Habermehl , Francesca Lamberti, Adolf M. Ritter and Peter Schenk (= SAPERE . Volume 5). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 2002, ISBN 3-534-14946-7 .
- with Hans Rupprecht Goette : The ancient Athens. A literary guide. CH Beck, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-406-51665-3 .
- mit Martin Ferguson Smith: The Epicurean inscription of Diogenes of Oinoanda. Ten years of new discoveries and research. Rudolf Habelt, Bonn 2014, ISBN 978-3-7749-3927-1.
- Literature by and about Jürgen Hammerstaedt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jürgen Hammerstaedt at the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Jürgen Hammerstaedt at the Institute for Classical Studies at the University of Cologne
- Jürgen Hammerstaedt on Academia.edu
- Homepage Mommsen-Gesellschaft , accessed on May 16, 2019
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist and papyrologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20. April 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cologne|