Jürgen Heraeus (born September 2, 1936 in Hanau ) is a German manager and was chairman of UNICEF Germany from April 2008 to June 2018 . From 1983 to 2000 he was CEO of Heraeus . From 2000 to November 2020 he was its chairman of the supervisory board .
Jürgen Heraeus attended the Robert Koch School in Clausthal-Zellerfeld and the Realgymnasium in Wiesbaden . He then studied business administration at the Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg and the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich . In 1963 he received his doctorate in Munich with his work on direct costing as the basis for short-term corporate decisions.
Jürgen Heraeus has been working for the Heraeus company since 1964. In 1970 he was appointed to the management of WC Heraeus GmbH. In 1977 he became deputy managing director and in 1983, as a representative of the fourth generation of the Heraeus family, chairman of the management. In this position he internationalized and diversified the company and, as the first German family company, gave it a holding structure. Under his leadership, sales grew to around eight billion euros, three quarters of which were generated abroad, and the number of employees rose to over 10,000. In 2000 he became chairman of the supervisory board and handed over management of the company to managers outside the family. In the meantime a family member is again represented on the management of Heraeus Holding GmbH.
Heraeus is also Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Messer Group and Spokesman for the Advisory Board of Deutsche Private Equity GmbH.
Heraeus was chairman of Business 20 (B20) from December 2016 to December 2017.
He was also chairman of the supervisory board of GEA and a member of the executive committee of the BDI for many decades . Heraeus was for many years chairman of the China working group in the Asia-Pacific Committee of German Business (APA). In the field of education, he was involved in the university council of the Technical University of Darmstadt , temporarily also as its chairman. He was also a member of the “Corporate Finance Steering Council” in the German Economic Fund and advisory board spokesman for ADAC eV during its restructuring in 2016.
In November 2020, Jürgen Heraeus did not stand for election after 20 years as Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Heraeus, when Franz Haniel was elected as his successor. 
Jürgen Heraeus is the father of five daughters.
Awards and honors
- 2000 - Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (Federal Cross of Merit 1st Class) for his personal commitment in economic, social and social areas for the general good 
- 2007 - Family Business Owner of the Year (INTES)
- 2009 - Induction into the Hall of Fame for Manager Magazin
- 2011 - Induction into the Hall of Fame of the Handelsblatt
- 2012 - German Founder Award in the Lifetime Achievement category "for outstanding entrepreneurial performance"
- 2014 - Honorary Award of the Querdenker Foundation, together with Dieter Nuhr and Dirk Roßmann in the Lifetime Achievement category 
- Literature by and about Jürgen Heraeus in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jürgen Heraeus: The Man in the Moon , Manager Magazin , January 27, 2004
- "I can withdraw in peace": Dr. Jürgen Heraeus resigns as chairman of the supervisory board after 20 years. November 12, 2020, accessed November 12, 2020 .
- Dr. Jürgen Heraeus honored with the Federal Cross of Merit for services to the economy and the common good. Hessian Prime Minister Roland Koch honors the entrepreneur as a man who cares for the city, region and society
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German manager|
|DATE OF BIRTH||2. September 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hanau|