Growing up in Essen, Jürgen Kiwit obtained his Abitur at the Goetheschule Essen in 1974 . From 1975 to 1980 he studied human medicine at the University of Düsseldorf . Here he joined the Corps Marchia Brno .  In 1980 he and Rolf Meschig undertook a three-month research trip to Kenya as part of an ethnomedical field study on trepanation in East Africa under the direction of Hans Schadewaldt . After the practical year at the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases and Middlesex Hospital in 1981 he passed the 3rd state medical examination in London. In 1983 he was awarded a doctorate from the Medical Faculty of the University of Düsseldorf. med. PhD. 
After further training at the Bundeswehr Central Hospital in Koblenz under Jochen Mletzko (1982–1983), at the Neuropathological Institute of the University of Düsseldorf under Wolfgang Wechsler (1984–1985), the Neurosurgical Clinic of the University of Düsseldorf under Wolfgang Joachim Bock (1986–1990) and at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, (1990-1991) was qualified as a specialist in neurosurgery in 1991 . In 1992 he completed his habilitation at the Medical Faculty of the University of Düsseldorf.  From 1992 to 1993 he was first second senior physicianand from 1994 to 1998 senior physician in charge of the neurosurgical clinic at the University of Düsseldorf. In 1997 he was appointed adjunct professor at the Medical Faculty. In 1998 Jürgen Kiwit was appointed chief physician of the neurosurgical clinic at the Berlin-Buch Clinic and was given the license to teach at the Humboldt University in Berlin . In 1999 he was granted the unlimited authorization for further training in the field of neurosurgery. In 2000 the Meoclinic Berlin appointed him as a consultant doctor . Since 2005, Kiwit has been head of the specialist group for the spine in the Helios-Kliniken groupand since 2007 Deputy Director of Helios Privatkliniken GmbH Berlin-Buch. In 2009 he was recognized by the Berlin Medical Association for the additional qualification of X-ray diagnostics.
As part of his scientific activities, Jürgen Kiwit worked in the fields of therapy of malignant gliomas , surgery of complex brain base aneurysms , neurosurgical operative pain therapy , differential therapy of head and brain trauma and dysfunction of the nervous system . From 1998 he worked in the field of metamorphosis of malignant glioma cells after stereotactic implantation and dealt with ethical and moral issues in brain research as well as molecular biological classification systemsof brain tumors . Since 2004 he has been working in the field of local chemotherapy for malignant gliomas.
Memberships and offices
Jürgen Kiwit is a member of the German Society for Neurosurgery , the German Society for Neuropathology and Neuroanatomy and the Berlin Society for Neurology and Psychiatry. In the USA he is a member of the Mayo Alumni Association and American Association for Neurologic Surgery (AANS) as well as the Cerebrovascular Section of the AANS.
From 2002 to 2005 he was a representative of the German Society for Neurosurgery on the German-speaking TNM Committee of the German Cancer Society . Since 2003 he has been a representative of the German Society for Neurosurgery in the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS).
- Marie Curie Award of the European Society for Nuclear Medicine 1993 for the work: KJ Langen, B. Hamacher, K. Ziemons, T. Kuwert, U. Braun, H. Herzog, JCW Kiwit, B. Nebeling, G. Stöcklin, HW Müller-Gärtner: Comparison of 123Ialpha-Methyltyrosin SPECT and 11C-L-Methionine PET in patients with brain tumors: initial results .  Awarded on October 12, 1993 in Lausanne.
- First poster prize of the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies on the occasion of the 11th European Congress of Neurosurgery from September 19 to 24, 1999 for the work: M. Synowitz, M. Matayash, B. Hofmann, C. Zimmer, F. Kirchhof, JC Kiwit, H. Kettenmann : C6 Glioma Cells change their physiological properties after injection into the rat brain . Awarded on September 24, 1999 in Copenhagen.
- Prize of the Neurosurgical Research Foundation of the German Society for Neurosurgery : GABA receptors and their role in brain tumor development . Awarded on September 15, 2000 in Lübeck.
- First poster prize of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons on the occasion of the 50th anniversary meeting from September 23 to 28, 2000 for the work: M. Synowitz, M. Matayash, S. Kuhn, C. Zimmer, J. Kiwit, H. Kettenmann: Visualization of tumor cells - a new rat glioma model . Awarded September 28, 2000 in San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- HELIOS Science and Innovation Prize 2002, 2nd prize for the project: A. Spuler and JC Kiwit: Biofluid-mechanical properties of cerebral aneurysms . Awarded on November 14, 2003 in Fulda.
- Young Investigator Award from the American Brain Tumor Association at the Congress of Neurological Surgeons for work: R. Glass, M. Synowitz, G. Kronenberg, JH Walzlein, DS Markovic, LP Wang, D. Gast, J. Kiwit, G . Kempermann, H. Kettenmann: Glioblastoma-Induced Attraction of Endogenous Neural Precursor Cells is associated with improved survival . Awarded at the 55th Annual Congress of Neurological Surgeons. On October 10, 2005 in Boston.
- with R. Meschig, Hans Schadewaldt : Skull operations with the Kisii in the highlands of West Kenya . German Medical Weekly , Volume 105, 1980, pp. 1817–1821
- with D. Niederstrasser: Experimental microsurgery in the Bundeswehr . Military Medical Monthly, Volume 28, 1984, pp. 240–242
- mit R. Schober, N. Nicola, M. Schirmer, W. Wechsler: Osteoclastoma of the Petrous Bone, a Report of two Cases. In: Surgical Neurology, Volume 26, 1986, S. 59–62.
- mit R.J. Seitz, M. Schirmer, W.J. Bock, R. Schober, W. Wechsler: Clinical and Neuropathological Aspects of Rare Semimalignant Spinal Tumours: Case Report of a Giant Cell Tumour (Osteoclastoma) and an Atypical Osteoblastoma. In H. Wenker,
- M. Klinger, M. Brock, F. Reuter (editors): Advances in Neurosurgery 14. Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York 1986, S. 184–188
- mit W.R. Lanksch, H. Fritsch, E. Lins, W. Storck, N. Roosen, M. Schirmer, W.J. Bock, F. Marguth: Magnetic Resonance Tomography of Solid Spinal Cord Tumours with Extensive Secondary Syringomyelia. In W. Walter, M. Brandt, M. Brock, M. Klinger (editors): Advances in Neurosurgery 16. Springer Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York 1988, S. 211–215
- with N. Roosen, M. Deckert, E. Lins, KH Schmitz, M. Schirmer, W. Wechsler, JW Bock: Neuroradiological and neuropathological findings after chemotherapy of malignant gliomas with 1- (4-amino-2-methyl-5-pyrimidinyl ) -Methyl- (2-chloroethyl) -3-nitrosourea (ACNU) . In M. Bamberg, H. Sack H (editor): Therapy of primary brain tumors . Zuckschwerdt Verlag Munich 1988, pp. 435-440
- Neurosurgical procedures to eliminate pain . In H. von Matthiessen (editor): Practical pain therapy in oncology . Springer Verlag Berlin-Heidelberg 1991, pp. 71-78
- Traumatic brain injury . In Schirmer (editor): Neurosurgery . 8th revised edition. Urban and Schwarzenberg, Munich 1994, pp. 144-174
- with M. Bettag, F. Ulrich, R. Schober, G. Fürst, KJ Langen, M. Sabel: Stereotactic Laser Therapy in Cerebral Gliomas . In: Acta Neurochirurgica Supplement 52, 1991, pp. 81-83, 1991
- mit F.W. Floeth, W.J. Bock: Survival in malignant glioma: Analysis of prognostic factors with special regard to cytoreductive surgery. In Zentralblatt für Neurochirurgie 57. Jahrgang, 1996, S. 76–88
- mit W. Mueller, C. Hartmann, A. Hoffmann, W. Lanksch, J. Tonn, J. Veelken, J. Schramm, M. Weller, O.D. Wiestler, D.N. Louis, A. von Deimling: Genetic signature of oligoastrocytomas correlates with tumor location and denotes distinct molecular subsets. In: The American Journal of Pathology, Volume 161, 2002, Heft 1, S. 313–319
- Brain research . In Lexicon for Theology and Church (LThK), Herder Verlag Freiburg, Freiburg 2001, Volume 11, p. 129
- mit K.L. von Eckardstein, S. Patt, C. Kratzel, R. Reszka: Local chemotherapy of F98 rat glioblastoma with paclitaxel and carboplatin embedded in liquid crystalline cubic phases. In: Journal of Neuro-Oncology, Band 72, 2005, S. 209–215
- mit K.L. von Eckardstein, R. Reszka: Intracavitary chemotherapy (paclitaxel/carboplatin liquid crystalline cubic phases) for recurrent glioblastoma - clinical observations. In: Journal of Neuro-Oncology, Band 74, 2005, S. 305–309
- Curriculum vitae Prof. Dr. med. Jürgen CW Kiwit (PDF; 1.5 MB)
- Kürschner's German Scholars Calendar 1996.
- Kösener Corpslisten 1996, 94/267.
- Jürgen CW Kiwit, Wolfgang Distler: Critical analysis of fetal risk recognition through serum estriol determinations . Dissertation University of Düsseldorf, 1983
- Jürgen CW Kiwit: Experimental studies on the therapy of malignant gliomas . Habilitation thesis University of Düsseldorf, 1992
- Winners of the Marie Curie Award (Memento vom 2. August 2008 im Internet Archive)
|ALTERNATIVNAMEN||Kiwit, Jürgen Carl Walther|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German neurosurgeon|
|DATE OF BIRTH||14. April 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Essen|