Jürgen Leskien completed his training as an engine fitter and from 1959 served for years as an officer, pilot and navigator in the Air Force of the National People's Army . For a time he was responsible for civil air traffic control as an engineer . In 1972 he made his debut as a book author with the story Sturz aus den Wolken , published by Neues Leben . In 1972 he was released from the National People's Army. From 1972 he studied theater studies at the Leipzig Theater Academy . He completed his studies in 1977 with a thesis on Heinrich von Kleistand then worked as a dramaturge for the television of the GDR in Berlin.  In the period 1975–1988 he wrote five scripts. 
As a member of an FDJ solidarity brigade, recruited for the Odendaal Plan, he traveled to Angola in September 1978 and worked in 1978/79, 1981 and 1982 as a car mechanic as part of the development aid of the GDR. He then worked from 1983 to 1989 in the UNHCR refugee camp for Namibian refugees in the province of Cuanza Sul and in the ANC development and training camp Dakawa in Tanzania . From 1990 Leskien worked in Namibia , initially as a project manager on site on the conversion project in a former base of the South African Air Force , then as an employee of theBremen Africa Archives and the Center of Africa Studies at the University of Bremen at “Ruacana Education with Production Center” in Ruacana in northern Namibia. 
With the system transformation , the turning point in the GDR and after the Volkskammer election in 1990 (10th electoral period), Jürgen Leskien was a member of the People's Chamber of the GDR from March to October 1990 as a member of the Berlin PDS . This was followed by participation in the “Development Policy Committee”. As a parliamentarian, he visited Namibia and participated in the repatriation of the Namibian refugee children living in the GDR . The experiences in Africa had a formative effect on his writing and journalistic work. In 1991 he took part in the African Book Fair in Harare ( Zimbabwe ).
In 1994 Jürgen Leskien was co-initiator and organizer of the fundraising campaign "Fischkutter für Angola" and then in 1995 he worked as a machine assistant on board for a few weeks during the transfer of a "GDR / Treuhand fish cutter" from Rostock to the port of Luanda . From 2005 he was involved in the Africanus LEO Foundation in Damaraland in northwestern Namibia. 
- Fall from the clouds . Narrative. New Life Publishing House, Berlin 1972.
- Tobias is looking for the double-decker . Kinderbuchverlag Berlin , Berlin 1972 → eighth edition; Children's book publisher, Berlin 1988, ISBN 978-3-358-00731-0 .
- Red elephants and green clouds for till . Kinderbuchverlag, Berlin 1976 → seventh edition; Children's book publisher, Berlin 1987, ISBN 978-3-358-00166-0 .
- tschechische Übersetzung: Red elephants and green clouds . Albatross, Prague 1981.
- Ondjango. An Angolan diary . Damnitz, Munich 1980.
- The bread of the tropics . Children's book publisher, Berlin 1982.
- George . Novel. Kinderbuchverlag, Berlin 1984 → 1985; Screenplay / film adaptation.
- Shilumbu. What does he want in Africa! New Life Publishing House, Berlin 1988, ISBN 978-3-355-00785-6 .
- Lonely in the southwest . Diary novel. Verlag Neues Leben, Berlin 1991, ISBN 978-3-355-01220-1 .
- Keel above. The incredible story of a sea voyage . Verlag Die Furt, Jacobsdorf 2001, ISBN 978-3-933416-26-1 .
- Dark shadow on the Waterberg . African night talks . Schwartzkopff Buchwerke, Berlin 2004, ISBN 978-3-93773-810-9 .
- 1975: In the network in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- 1977: Cyankali
- 1977: Mission: Survival 
- 1985: Georg
- 1988: Moment of Truth 
- 1978: Erich Weinert Literature Prize
- 1984: Literature Prize of the City of Berlin
- 1987: FDGB Literature Prize
- Short biography and reviews of works by Jürgen Leskien at perlentaucher.de
- Literature by and about Jürgen Leskien in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jürgen Leskien in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Jürgen Leskien at the Die Furt publishing house
- Jürgen Leskien. Edition digital Pekrul & Sohn GbR, 2018, archived from the original on July 10, 2018 ; accessed on July 10, 2018 .
- Jürgen Leskien. (No longer available online.) Television of the GDR, formerly in the original ; accessed on July 11, 2018 . ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Order: Survival (1977). Television of the GDR, 1977, accessed on July 10, 2018 .
- Jürgen Leskien: Georg (1985). Television of the GDR, accessed on July 11, 2018 .
- Hour of Truth (1988). Television of the GDR, 1988, accessed on July 10, 2018 .
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German writer and development worker|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 19, 1939|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin-Friedrichshain|