Jürgen Sawade - Jürgen Sawade
Sawade studied from 1958 to 1966 at the Technical University of Berlin with Karl Wilhelm Ochs . During this time he worked on the construction site of the Corbusierhaus and with Georg Heinrichs . From 1963 to 1969 he was a scientific assistant to Oswald Mathias Ungers , who had a decisive influence on Sawade's further work with his idea that “the city consists of large, insular bodies”. 
In 1970 he opened his own architecture office in Berlin and had changing project-related partnerships, including with Dieter Frowein, Dietmar Grötzebach and Günter Plessow, in 1976 and 1981/1982 Sawade was a guest lecturer in the USA (at Berkeley University in California and Cornell University , New York).
He received special recognition for his residential buildings on Lewishamstrasse and the renovation of the Schaubühne building on Lehniner Platz in Berlin. The living project at Kleistpark, built in 1977 with Dieter Frowein, Dietmar Grötzebach and Günter Pelessow, Pallasseum since 2001 , is one of the most unusual residential complexes in Berlin because an old bunker was included in the planning. The Hotel Esplanade from 1988, which he designed as an “unmistakable metropolitan place” for a contemporary urban society, was considered to be equipped with site-specific works by well-known artists of the ZERO group , Heinz Mack, Otto Piene , Günther Uecker and works by the Neue Wilden as a total work of art.  In 1991, Jürgen Sawade received a call to the University of Dortmund on the chair design and industrial construction . In 2004, Sawade was appointed honorary professor in the architecture and urban development department of the Potsdam University of Applied Sciences . Here he succeeded in teaching the students not only the direct design of buildings but also the overall understanding of architectural creation, which is “more than facade lifting” and also to see the cultural responsibility.  In spring 2002 the appointed himAkademie der Künste in Berlin, of which he was a member until his death in 2015.
Buildings in Berlin
- 1973–1974: Row house on Scharfe Lanke in Berlin-Spandau
- 1974–1977: Pallasseum residential development in Berlin-Schöneberg , (Pallasstrasse / Potsdamer Strasse), known as the Social Palace 
- 1978–1981: Reconstruction of the Woga complex with the former Universal Cinema (built in 1928 according to a design by Erich Mendelsohn ) for the Schaubühne on Lehniner Platz 
1977–1981: Residential buildings in Berlin-Charlottenburg , Lewishamstrasse
The breakthrough between Adenauerplatz and Stuttgarter Platz was redesigned according to Sawade's designs . 
- 1982–1983: Housing development in Berlin-Wedding , Chausseestrasse
- 1984–1987: Housing development as part of the IBA in Berlin-Tiergarten , Am Karlsbad
- 1987: IBM office building in Berlin-Marienfelde , Nahmitzer Damm
- 1986–1988: Grand Hotel Esplanade in Berlin-Tiergarten
- 1990: Bar am Lützowplatz
- 1991–1993: Residential and office building in Berlin-Charlottenburg, Kaiserdamm
- 1995: Office building at Haus Pietzsch , Unter den Linden
- 1992–1994: Office building in Berlin-Schöneberg, Sachsendamm 2–7
- 1993–1996: Residential and commercial building in Berlin-Schöneberg, Pallasstrasse
- 1993–1996: two office buildings on the Spree in Berlin-Charlottenburg, Carnotstrasse 4–7
- 1996–1997: CineStar cinema in Berlin-Hellersdorf
- 1996–1999: A + T project at Potsdamer Platz
Honourings and prices
- Wolfgang Schächen (Ed.): Buildings and Projects: 1970 −1995 / Jürgen Sawade . Gebr. Mann, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-7861-1952-X .
- Block renovation and parking. Berlin 1969.
- Überbauung Kurfürstendamm ( thesis 1966), see. Frank Schmitz : Jürgen Sawade - Kurfürstendamm development . In: Carsten Krohn (ed.): The unbuilt Berlin . Berlin 2010 (exhibition catalog, out of print).
- Literature by and about Jürgen Sawade in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jürgen Sawade. In: arch INFORM .
- Architect on Potsdamer Platz
- Jürgen Sawade Archive in the Archive of the Academy of Arts, Berlin
- Peter Rumpf: BAUWELT - Jürgen Sawade 1937–2015. In: bauwelt.de. Retrieved March 24, 2020 .
- Stephan Becker: The rationalist of West Berlin - On the death of Jürgen Sawade. In: baunetz.de. January 27, 2015, accessed March 24, 2020 .
- Nikolaus Bernau: From Schaubühne to Social Palace . In: Berliner Zeitung , January 28, 2015., p. 22.
- Stephan Becker: Oasis in a triangle in a block: Berlin's Grand Hotel Esplanade turns 25, Baunetz on May 29, 2013.
|ALTERNATIVNAMEN||Sawade, Jürgen Josef|
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German architect|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 19, 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kassel|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 21, 2015|
|Place of death||Berlin|