Jürgen Scheffran - Jürgen Scheffran
Jürgen Scheffran (* 1957 ) is Professor of Integrative Geography at the Institute for Geography at the University of Hamburg .  He is the head of the Climate Change and Security Research Group (CLISEC) at the Center for Earth System Research and Sustainability (CEN) at the University of Hamburg. 
After graduating from high school in Altenkirchen , Jürgen Scheffran studied physics at the Philipps University of Marburg from 1976 to 1983 , from which he graduated as a physicist. Already during his studies he devoted himself to interdisciplinary issues of environmental protection and conflict research . Scheffran received his doctorate in 1989 from Philipps University on the subject of strategic defense, disarmament and stability . From 1993 to 1999 he then took on research tasks as a scientific assistant in the interdisciplinary working group for natural science, technology and safety at the TU Darmstadt. From 2001 to 2004 he was a research assistant at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK), working in the areas of Global Change and Social Systems and Integrated Systems Analysis. In 2003 he was also a visiting professor at the Paris Sorbonne . From 2004 to 2009 he held research and teaching duties as a professor at the University of Illinois . Since August 2009 he has been Professor of Climate Change and Security in the Geography Department at the University of Hamburg .  As a researcher, Scheffran examines which social conflicts cause climate shifttriggers: conflict situations over scarce resources, rise in the price of energy and food, water shortage, loss of fertile land due to floods. 
He is married to the politician Marianne Kolter .
- War for the environment? The global crisis as a cause of conflict. In: War in the 21st Century? New challenges for the peace movement. Contributions to the 7th Dresden Peace Symposium on February 13, 1999. (Ed.) Dresdener Studiengemeinschaft Sicherheitsppolitik (DSS) e. V .: DSS working papers , Dresden 1999, issue 46, pp. 22–41.
- Literature by and about Jürgen Scheffran in the catalog of the German National Library
- uni-hamburg.de , accessed on March 26, 2012
- clisap.de , accessed on April 7, 2012
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Scheffran. University of Hamburg, February 1, 2019, accessed on February 22, 2020 .
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Scheffran becomes a member of the Federal Government's "Causes of Flight" commission. CEN / University of Hamburg, July 10, 2019, accessed on February 22, 2020 .
- Abendblatt.de: How computer models can prevent wars over water or oil worldwide , accessed on April 7, 2012
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German physicist, conflict researcher and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1957|