Jesus Square - Jesús Cuadrado
|Jesus Square Perez|
|Birth|| 1946 |
Palencia ( Spain )
|Occupation||Filmmaker and cartoon critic|
In a continuing effort to dignify the media, he has collaborated with his articles in numerous publications and on cartoons ( Bang! , Vignettes , etc), as well as being the creator of comics and use 1873-2000 (2000). Together with Mariano Ayuso , Luis Conde Martín , Ignacio Fontes , Carlo Frabetti , Pacho Fernández Larrondo, Federico Moreno, Ludolfo Paramio and Pedro Tabernero , he constitutes the second generation of comic theorists to emerge in Spain. [ 1 ]
From their collaboration on Bang! (1971-77) began a fruitful activity as a critic of the present time of the Cartoon in Spain for different publications. Over time, he would come to describe himself as a disciple of the director of this magazine, Antonio Martín , in several of his writings. [ 2 ]
He worked briefly for the magazine Triunfo , and went (in 1972) to the weekly Mundo Joven , for which, at the request of its director Alonso Ibarrola , he made the series "The exciting comic adventure" together with Pacho Fernández Larrondo and Ricardo Segura (as editor; and Antonio Tiedra as photographer). [ 3 ]
He made the documentary Los Tebeos (1974) and coordinated the magazine En Punta (1974-1977).
He directed several short films: Solo de hombre (1982), Traveling (1982) and Nana para una cloud blanca (1976). He also started directing his own magazines: Tribulete (1983-1984), Grafito (1984), Librum (1987), Los Mamotretos de Grafito (1993) and BloKes (1994). Whether for these or especially for comic-books of Comics Forum , continue to publish countless articles, many of them grouped in series. Outside of these series, articles appeared in other magazines such as " Cairo " (1984); "The Observer" (1991); "GQ" (1995), "We Are Los Muertos "(1997) or" The Stranded "(1998), as well as in catalogs (such as the one for the 1984 exhibition held in Valencia in honor of Miguel Calatayud ) and in monographs such as" La Pista Atlántica "( 1984), "Historia del tebeo valenciano " (1992) and G. Iranzo (1999). The bulk of these collaborations was grouped by the narrator Karim Taylhardat for the editor Joan Navarro (Glénat Spain label) in the volume "Psychopathology of the vignette everyday "(Barcelona, 2000).
In 1986 he was curator of the exhibition "Living Museum" (Institute of Youth), and in 1991 he insisted on the dignifying exhibition with "A democratic cartoon" (General Directorate of Fine Arts and Archives of the Ministry of Culture). In his own words he intended
In 1997 he published the reference work Dictionary of use of the Spanish Cartoon. 1873-1996 (11/1997), produced by the Otter Communication Collective for the Compañía Literaria label , with about five thousand entries. This work was recast, updated, and significantly expanded in the reissue Of the comic strip and its use 1873-2000 ( Ediciones Sinsentido , 2000), which includes some seven thousand entries and is part of the complex Spanish Atlas of Popular Culture project .
Co-promoter, also, of the collection "Without words" (Sinsentido, 2004-2007), with seventeen installments on the great names or trends or phenomena of the Comic Strip, and director of " From Madrid to the tebeos " (Madrid City Council, 2004), a detailed view of the Madrid comic strip market. Pending transfers between narrative forms, he carried out several investigations ("Plagiarism of enchantments", 2001; "The Heart of Darkness", 2002; "Red Top", 2004; "Still in the smoke", 2005) that culminated with " Lanza en astillero "(2005), in which various Spanish and foreign authors gave their personal interpretation of different passages from Don Quixote . [ 6 ]
The Dictionary of use of the Spanish Cartoon. 1873-1996 received the award from the Madrid Association of Art Critics , a special mention at the Saló Internacional del Còmic in Barcelona , and the Roman convention ExpoCartoon insisted on its mentions in the theoretical field by estimating it as the best work of the year.
- The Comics ;
- Only of man ;
- Nana for a white cloud .
- Criticism and systematization of the comic strip
- Editorial without a full stop (Tribulete, 1983);
- Crónica desde Madrid ( Aventuras Bizarras , 1983) under the pseudonym Pedro Pérez;
- Edito (Graphite, 1984);
- Vignettes and puñetas (Sado Maso, 1990);
- The Eighth Passenger: masturbating and useless (El Maquinista, 1991);
- Nothing personal, citizen ( Urich , 1991),
- Other vignettes (Classic X-Men No. 34, What If No. 28-36 and Graph, 1991-92);
- Concepts (" Excalibur " No. 28-35 and "The New Avengers " No. 54, 57-59, 1991);
- Wounded Knee ( Makoki , 1991), Parapet (The Monthly Machinist, 1991);
- Cato (Graphite, Images, etc., 1993-1998);
- On the edge of the manger (Independent Comic, 1993);
- Counted beans ( Viñetas , 1994);
- Trench foot (Viñetas, 1994);
- Fragment "G" (Images and Wopitti whop !, 1994-95);
- Dictionary of use of the Spanish Cartoon (Compañía Literaria, 1996);
- Idiots and Tiny ( Idiot and Tiny , 1998);
- Spanish Atlas of Popular Culture. From the comic strip and its use 1873-2000 (Sinsentido / Fundación Germán Sánchez Ruipérez, 2000);
- Psychopathology of the daily vignette (Glénat España, 2000). Compilation of your articles.
- Cuadrado (2000), p. 324.
- Cuadrado, Jesus in "The cofre of the dead", collected in Psychopathology of the daily vignette, Glénat Spain, 2000, p. 43, where he describes himself as "a humble sorcerer's apprentice, I mean, from Don Antonio."
- Cuadrado, Jesus in " Before the Coma , and with the commas in place " in "Los Mamotretos de Grafito", letter X. Madrid, 10/1993 "
- Square, Jesus in "The revenges of the attic" from the series "Wounded Knee", no. 4 for " Makoki " no. 18, Barcelona, September 1991.
- Guiral, Antoni in Mariscal and Nazario withdraw their works from an exhibition organized by Cultura para El País , Barcelona, 03/01/1991.
- Pons, Álvaro (July 19, 2009). "Don Quixote collides with the mills of Puritanism . " The Country (Valencia). ISSN 1134-6582 . Retrieved May 17, 2018 .
- CUADRADO, Jesus (2000). Spanish Atlas of Popular Culture: From the comic strip and its use 1873-2000 , Madrid: Ediciones Sinsentido / Fundación Germán Sánchez Ruipérez . 2 v. ISBN 84-89384-23-1 .
- Jose Mª Flores. We are not the only ones. Around with the Square Dictionary . The Wendigo. numbers 86 and 87 (2001).