Royal Bavarian 18th Infantry Regiment "Prince Ludwig Ferdinand" - Königlich Bayerisches 18. Infanterie-Regiment „Prinz Ludwig Ferdinand“

Membership badge of the regimental association.

The 18th Infantry Regiment "Prince Ludwig Ferdinand" was an association of the 6th Infantry Brigade of the Bavarian Army . The regiment's peacetime location was Landau in the Palatinate .

story

Ludwig Ferdinand, Prince of Bavaria, medal in 1906 for the 25th anniversary festival of his infantry regiment in Landau in the Palatinate.

Positioning and development

The regiment was set up on April 1, 1881 as the first new Bavarian troop due to the Imperial Law of May 6, 1880. The first in command was Karl Lindhamer , who handed over command to Franz Popp on March 24, 1885. Gustav Waagen acted as regimental commander from 1886 to 1889 . On May 11, 1883, Prince Ludwig Ferdinand of Bavaria was appointed owner , who also gave the regiment its name. On February 22, 1913, Colonel Luitpold Weiss-Jonak became the unit's commander.

First World War

During the First World War , the regiment entered France as part of the 6th Army with a combat strength of 69 officers , six medical officers, three paymasters and 3,200 NCOs and men and 235 horses [1] and remained on the Western Front until the armistice on November 11, 1918 .

During the war the regiment had to complain

  • Dead: 76 officers, 2 medical officers, 378 NCOs and 3,004 men
  • Missing: 6 officers, 33 NCOs and 390 men
  • Those who died due to illness / accident: four officers, one medical officer, eleven NCOs and 137 men

At the end of the war, 22 officers, two medical officers, 129 NCOs and 1,073 men were in captivity.

Whereabouts

After the end of the war, the remnants of the regiment marched back home and arrived in Ochsenfurt on December 11, 1918 . Demobilization took place there from January 10, 1919 and the regiment was later disbanded via the Würzburg settlement center. Two free formations were formed from parts. The volunteer company worked for the Götz volunteer detachment and was absorbed into the 1st Battalion of the 45th Reichswehr Infantry Regiment at the beginning of June 1919. The Härtl volunteer machine gun division became the machine gun company of the Reichswehr Jäger Battalion 21. [2]

The tradition of the regiment took over in the Reichswehr the 2nd company of 21 (Bavarian) Infantry Regiment in Würzburg .

See also

literature

Individual evidence

  1. Stand: 2. August 1914
  2. ^ Jürgen Kraus: Handbook of the units and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Publishing house Militaria. Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 . P. 455.