Royal Bavarian 22nd Infantry Regiment "Prince Wilhelm von Hohenzollern" - Königlich Bayerisches 22. Infanterie-Regiment „Fürst Wilhelm von Hohenzollern“
Positioning and development
According to the highest resolution of September 20, 1896, the association was formed on April 1, 1897 from the IV (half) battalions of the 5th , 7th , 9th and 12th Infantry Regiments and initially consisted of only two battalions at the Zweibrücken location . The first in command was Karl von Brückner.
On April 1, 1913, the 2nd Battalion of the 23rd Infantry Regiment garrisoned in Saargemünd was divided as III. Battalion to the 22nd Infantry Regiment. It kept its previous location in Lorraine. At the same time asked a regimental MG - Company on.
First World War
After the regiment received the mobilization order at 7:30 in the evening on August 1, 1914, the association entered as part of the 6th Army , with a combat strength of 70 officers , 3,100 NCOs and men and 240 horses . On August 8th, the 1st and 2nd Battalions moved from Zweibrücken into the field and were unloaded in Falkenberg , Lorraine, where on August 10th the III. Battalion joined. The formation initially belonged to the 5th Infantry Brigade and was subordinate to the 3rd Infantry Division . In April 1915 it moved to the newly established 21st Infantry Brigade and belonged to the newly established 21st Infantry Brigade until the end of the war11. Infanterie-Division an.
The regiment fought on the western front in 1914 , in the east and in Serbia in 1915 , again in the west in 1916, then on the eastern front and in Romania in 1916/17 . In 1917 it returned to the western theater of war. On July 22, 1918, the heavy fighting at Soissons had decimated it to such an extent that it only consisted of eight officers and 160 non-commissioned officers and men. That's why it was formed into a company (military). At the end of July 1918, the three battalions were reorganized and shortly thereafter three companies and one machine gun company of the disbanded Reserve Infantry Regiment 13 were incorporated. During the fighting at Westroosebeke in Flanders, the III. Battalion on September 28, 1918 almost entirely in captivity.
During the war the regiment suffered heavy losses:
- Dead: 73 officers, two doctors, 412 NCOs and 3,593 men
- Missing: 73 NCOs and 835 men
- Those who died due to illness / accident: two officers, twelve NCOs and 127 men
At the end of the war there were 50 officers, two doctors, 291 NCOs and 1,894 men in captivity.
After the armistice in Compiègne , the remnants of the regiment marched back home, where it arrived in Königshofen on December 12, 1918 . There the demobilization and dissolution took place. A volunteer department was formed from parts in mid-April 1919. Battalion of the Reichswehr Infantry Regiment 45 rose.
The tradition took over in the Reichswehr by decree of the Chief of the Army Command General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt from August 24th 1921 the 10th and 11th companies of the 20th (Bavarian) Infantry Regiment in Passau . In the Wehrmacht , the 1st Battalion of the Border Infantry Regiment 137 in Zweibrücken continued the tradition from 1937.
|Oberst||Karl von Brückner||April 1, 1897 to August 15, 1900|
|Oberst||Andreas White||August 16, 1900 to October 14, 1902|
|Oberst||Karl von Wallmenich||October 15, 1902 to March 8, 1903|
|Oberst||Johann longhouses||March 9 to October 16, 1903|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Emil Ball||October 17, 1903 to May 21, 1908|
|Oberst||Anton Kern||22. May 1908 to 25. May 1910|
|Oberst||Emil Henigst||May 26, 1910 to March 26, 1913|
|Oberst||Otto Schulz||March 27, 1913 to September 20, 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ernst Lettenmeyer||September 21 to October 1, 1914|
|Major||Kurt von Scherf||October 2 to November 5, 1914 (in charge of the tour)|
|Major||Franz Kaess||November 6 to 8, 1914 (entrusted with the tour)|
|Oberst z.D.||Maximilian Kanz||November 9-22, 1914 (entrusted with the tour)|
|Oberst z.D.||Karl Raab||November 23, 1914 to September 14, 1915 (in charge of the tour)|
|Major||Franz Seisser||September 15, 1915 to January 3, 1916 (in charge of the tour)|
|Major||Joseph von Reiss||January 4 to 24, 1916 (in charge of the tour)|
|Generalmajor zD||Karl Raab||January 25 to April 18, 1916|
|Major||Joseph von Reiss||April 19 to June 28, 1916 (in charge of the tour)|
|Lieutenant colonel||Karl Eberhard||June 29 to July 8, 1916 (in charge of the tour)|
|Major||Joseph von Reiss||July 9-22, 1916 (responsible for the tour)|
|Lieutenant colonel||Johann Vogt||July 23, 1916 to August 24, 1917|
|Major||Maximilian Werkmann||August 25 to September 15, 1917 (in charge of the tour)|
|Lieutenant colonel||Theodor Carl||September 16, 1917 to December 23, 1918|
Culture of remembrance
The regiment's First World War Memorial is in Zweibrücken and was inaugurated on July 10, 1932. The Deutsche Reichsbahn issued discounted tickets for participants in the celebration .  In Zweibrücken there is the "22er-Straße" along the former barracks, which has residential buildings on the other side of the street.
The regimental association was very active up to the time of the Federal Republic of Germany, organized regular reunion celebrations, issued a World War Cross and several festive badges on special occasions in the history of the regiment.
- Jürgen Kraus : Handbook of the associations and troops of the German army 1914-1918. Part VI: Infantry. Volume 1: Infantry Regiments. Publishing house Militaria. Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-902526-14-4 . P. 459.
- Konrad Krafft von Dellmensingen , Friedrichfranz Feeser : The Bavaria book of the world wars 1914-1918. I. Volume. Chr. Belser AG. Publishing bookstore. Stuttgart 1930.
- Günter Wegner: Germany's armies until 1918. Volume 10: Bavaria. Biblio Publishing House. Osnabrück 1984.
- Günter Wegmann (ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 2: The staffing of the active infantry regiments as well as the hunter and machine gun battalions, military district commands and training managers from the foundation or list until 1939. Biblio Verlag. Osnabrück 1992, ISBN 3-7648-1782-8 . P. 484.
- Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (ed.): Official Gazette of the Reichsbahndirektion Mainz of July 2, 1932, No. 27. Announcement No. 383, p. 152.