Kurt Jaeger - Kurt Jaeger
Kurt Jaeger attended the Realgymnasium in Stuttgart and then studied chemistry in Stuttgart and Danzig . He finished his studies early and in 1938 joined his father Paul Jaeger (1870–1955), a paint factory .
Jaeger had already kept a small notebook with the coins of the German Reich since 1871 at the age of eleven (1921). There were already coin catalogs in which the German coins were compiled, but Jaeger listed the coins (still without embossing numbers) as they became known to him. It is not known whether he was familiar with all the catalogs by other authors that appeared before his first catalog *)
In 1942 the first Jaeger catalog was published, cataloging the German imperial coins since 1871 . The second edition, entitled The German Reich Coins since 1871, followed in 1948. Up to his death 13 editions appeared, in 2017 the 25th edition appeared. Coin dealers have been quoting the catalog numbers from Kurt Jaeger in their stock lists and auction catalogs for German coins since 1871.
From 1971 to 1974 Kurt Jaeger was President of the Society for International Monetary History in Frankfurt am Main.
In the years 1951 to 1972 Jaeger published the series of books Die Münzprägungen der Deutschen Meeres before the introduction of the imperial currency in twelve volumes (beginning of the 19th century until 1871/73).
- 1969 in gold (5 pieces), silver (100) and bronze (150), 50 mm, on his 60th birthday. Medalist: Franz Dákay . Literature: Schmidt 758
- Catalog of the German Reich coins since 1871. Gerber, Munich 1942
- The German imperial coins since 1871. from the 6th edition. The German coins since 1871. Munzen and Medals AG, Basel, 2nd edition 1948 - 25th edition 2017
- The more recent coinage of the German states before the introduction of the Reich currency / The coinage of the German states from the exit of the old Reich to the introduction of the Reich currency. 13 volumes. Coins and Medals AG, Basel 1951–1972
- The means of payment in Germany since 1948. Coins and banknotes with ratings. Coins and Medals AG, Basel 1972
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||German numismatist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 19, 1909|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stuttgart|
|DATE OF DEATH||6th December 1975|
|Place of death||Korntal|