|Part of GNU / Linux|
|Program type||operating system|
|Developer||Javier Obregón / Libera Tu Radio|
|Development model||Free and open source software|
|Initial release||June 15, 2014|
|License||GPL , and other free licenses|
|Languages||Castellano / English|
|Default graphical interface||Predefined MATE .|
|Latest stable version||10 (codename Kuntur)|
EterTICs GNU / Linux (abbreviated GET ) is a distribution of the GNU / Linux operating system that since version 3 is distributed as free software . It was the first distribution designed and developed with community radios in mind and integrates all the computer programs that a radio with these characteristics needs for its transmission. The development is 100% Latin American and is headed by the Argentine Javier Obregón de Posadas . Until version 7 EterTICs GNU / Linux was derived from Debian but in version 8 the development team decided to switch to Devuan , a forkDebian, as the base distribution. [ 1 ] Although in version 9 GET was published in two versions, one derived from Devuan and the other from Debian. [ 2 ]
EterTICs GNU / Linux began to imagine in 2006 when the community radio FM El Libertador de Posadas considered migrating to a free operating system but could not find a suitable distribution for radios. The idea matured for several years until in 2011, in a workshop in FM San Pedro in the province of Santiago del Estero, it was agreed to "set up a distribution that would take into account the shortcomings of rural radio stations." [ 3 ]
The first versions of GET (v1, v2 and v2.5) were developed within the LiberTICs cooperative between 2009 and 2013 as private software expressly for FM radio El Libertador. When the cooperative was dissolved, Javier Obregón published version 3 freely and openly in June 2014. This moment coincides with the birth of the Network of Community Radios and Free Software that joins the development of GET and disseminates it among its affiliated radios . Distribution is provided in the two International Meeting held by the Network in Cochabamba (2015) [ 4 ] [ 5 ] [ 6 ] and Quito (2016). [ 7 ]GET has also spread in workshops Communicators Network MERCOSUR [ 8 ] and in different events in El Salvador, [ 9 ] Venezuela, [ 10 ] [ 11 ] Argentina [ 8 ] or the radio Spanish state. [ 12 ]
On the Internet you can find this distribution with different names, on the one hand it is spoken of GNU / EterTICs, abbreviated as GET, but it also appears as EterTICs GNU / Linux. As explained by Javier Obregón, developer of the distribution:
«The distribution was originally born with the name GNU / EterTICs but during the development of version 4, crossing mail with Richard Stallman commenting on the initiative, he suggested that I change the name to EterTICs GNU / Linux and thus give the idea that we were originally looking for, that en EterTICs is a distribution based on the GNU Operating System and the Linux kernel and since the initials were GET, it was already affectionate in the community to call it that, shorter to our EterTICs GNU / Linux ". [ 16 ] »
—Javier Obregón, distribution developer
|Version 3||-||June 2014|
|Version 4||-||November 2014 [ 17 ]|
|Version 5||Crazy||April 2015 [ 18 ]|
|Version 6||Mezcal||August 2015 [ 19 ]|
|Version 7||Blue bird||April 2016 [ 20 ]|
|Version 8||Integration||October 2016 [ 21 ]|
|Version 9||Fenix||October 2018 [ 2 ]|
|Version 10||Kuntur (Condor in Quechua)||April 2019 [ 22 ]|
EterTICs GNU / Linux was based up to version 7 on the GNU / Linux Debian distribution. In version 8, released in October 2016, you chose to use Devuan as the base distribution. Version 9 had two versions, one based on Debian and the other on Devuan. At the time of GET 10's release, it was only released with a version on top of the Devuan mother distribution. [ 2 ]
GET is distributed in two languages, Spanish and Portuguese. It supports the i386 and amd64 architectures and comes with the free kernel by default although the official kernel of the base distribution can also be used. As for the desktop drivers, it came with Xfce up to version 9, but since version 10, released in April 2019, the default desktop is MATE . [ 22 ]
Regarding the pre-installed programs for the radios we find:
- Audio editors: Ardor , Audacity
- Audio Players: Audacious , VLC
- Automators: Rivendell (removed due to repository issue in version 9) , GRadio
- Streaming: Butt, Icecast, Mixxx
- Other sound applications: converters, gain balancers, DVD / CD ripper, meta tag editors. It also incorporates the suite of audio connection management tools developed by KXStudio that integrate Cadence, Catia or Claudia among others.
GET developers make it clear on their website why not include other programs in this distribution: [ 16 ]
«It should be clarified that EterTICs is a distribution derived from Devuan under the GNU GPL license that DOES NOT INCLUDE OR WILL INCLUDE by default components that violate the freedom of users from the Freedom paradigm proposed by the FSF, if the radio needs, such or which proprietary component is free to install at your own risk, but we DO NOT ENCOURAGE its use. »
GET has not been the only distribution designed to work in Community Radios in Latin America with Free Software. In recent years there have been at least three more on: [ 23 ]
- Shamatari / Medios Libres : developed in Venezuela, derived from UbuntuStudio and had more than 260 pre-installed applications. It was not designed especially for radios, but for community media in general: radio, print, audiovisual and digital. Development is not updated since 2015. [ 24 ]
- Caribay : also Venezuelan distribution. Derived from Canaima, an operating system promoted by the Government of that country. Aimed at Community Media, since version 4 they have a version for Open Digital Television (TDA) content producers called Caribay TDA. [ 25 ]
- HuayraMedios GNU / Linux : promoted from Argentina is a "light distribution, with an Xfce desktop environment, designed to allocate most of the hardware resources to specific streaming production or broadcast software. Designed to set up school, community, radio stations. social, in a simple, effective and agile way ". The last update was in February 2016. [ 26 ]
Ubuntu Studio is a version of the popular GNU / Linux Ubuntu operating system . Although it is intended for audiovisual production, it was not specially designed to work on radio, which is why it is not included in this list.
- GET in a nutshell.
- Recording of Javier Obregón's talk in the RedComSur workshop, May 11, 2015
- Presentation "Free Software for Free Radios" at FLISOL 2015, Rafaela, Argentina, by Jonatan Almaraz Funes Member of "Red de Comunicadores del Mercosur" (RedComSur)
- El Binario Blog Article : "GNU / EterTICs: Debian-GnuLinux for free radios"
- Interview with Luis, from Radio Ela about the use of free software in free radio stations: GNU / Etertics operating system and the Airtime automation program.
- Radios and free culture
- EterTICs GNU / Linux Official Site
- Training Center and Manuals of the Community Radio Network and Free Software
- «Welcome EterTICs v8 Integration» . November 1, 2016. Archived from the original on December 30, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "EterTICs 9 Fenix and G-radio 3 Refundation are launched" . Liberaturadio . November 1, 2018 . Retrieved November 16, 2018 .
- "GNU / EterTICs A tool for free radios" . November 13, 2014 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Bolivia: Why a meeting of Community Radios and Free Software?» . March 31, 2015. Archived from the original on January 8, 2017 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Bolivia organizes International Meeting of Community Radios and Free Software» . May 28, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "The Encounter ended, the technological decolonization of Abya Yala began . " June 18, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Review of the II Meeting of Community Radios and Free Software» . June 8, 2016. Archived from the original on January 8, 2017 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Summary of the Free Software Workshop for Radios in REDCOMSUR» . May 17, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Radio and Digital Commons Workshop» . February 22, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «For Radios: GNU Ether Tics version 4 released» . November 19, 2014 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "World Free Software Day" . September 18, 2016. Archived from the original on January 9, 2017 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "Radiating freedom" . March 17, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Or what is GNU / EterTICs?» (in Portuguese) . September 25, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Radio Livre: que é GNU / Etertics?» (in Portuguese) . September 7, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "Free your radio!" (in Portuguese) . August 24, 2016. Archived from the original on December 3, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "GET in a nutshell" . December 20, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 . Citation error: Invalid label ; the name "GET en_1" is defined several times with different contents
- «Final version of GET4 available» . March 5, 2016. Archived from the original on April 25, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "GET version 5 Crazy available" . April 30, 2015. Archived from the original on April 25, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «We present EterTICs v6 Mezcal» . August 8, 2015. Archived from the original on March 16, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- "EterTICs GNU / Linux v7 Blue Bird" . April 15, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Welcome EterTICs v8 Integration» . October 3, 2016. Archived from the original on December 30, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- Liberaturadio, Por (April 10, 2019). "Launch of EterTICs v10.0 Kuntur" . Liberaturadio . Retrieved April 14, 2019 .
- «Free operating systems» . April 3, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Free Software application for alternative media is born: Shamatari 15.01» . January 28, 2015 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Distribution of Canaima GNU / Linux 4.1 for Public Media and Open Digital Television» . October 15, 2015. Archived from the original on January 3, 2017 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- «Presentation of Huayra Medios» . March 5, 2016 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .