Litthauisches Ulanen Regiment no. 12 - Litthauisches Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 12
Association membership 1914
- 2nd Cavalry Brigade in Insterburg
In the course of the army reform, AKO ordered the formation of a 4th combined Uhlan regiment of four squadrons on January 26, 1860 . To this end, the Cuirassier Regiments No. 2 and 3 and the Uhlan Regiments No. 4 and 8 each gave a squadron. May 7, 1860 was set as the foundation day. 
By AKO on July 4, 1860, the association received the name Litthauisches Ulanen-Regiment (No. 12) , which was also changed by AKO into its final form Litthauisches Ulanen-Regiment No. 12 on May 7, 1861 .
In the war against Austria, the regiment moved to Silesia and Bohemia and was involved in several smaller skirmishes. On July 3, 1866, the Uhlans fought in the Battle of Königgrätz and then returned to their locations in mid-September without any major fighting.
When the war against France began in 1870 , the regiment was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division and participated in the enclosure of the fortress of Metz . After Metz capitulated on October 27, the division moved to the Loire , where the French Loire army threatened the German ring of enclosure around Paris . There were several skirmishes in which the Uhlans were involved until Orléans finally fell into the hands of the Germans on December 4, 1870. The battle of Beaune-la-Rolande was of particular importance as the first cavalry division together with four battalions from the5th Infantry Division was able to intervene just in time to save the German X. Corps from defeat. This reinforcement turned the impending defeat into a clear victory. Some parts of the regiment continued to fight during the advance on Vendôme until the beginning of the Battle of Le Mans in January 1871. After the end of the fighting, the regiment belonged to the occupation force and returned to its garrisons in the summer of 1871, where it arrived in June.
First World War
The regiment retained its cavalry status throughout the war. During this time it was constantly used in the association of the 1st Cavalry Division , 2nd Cavalry Brigade together with the Jäger Regiment on Horses No. 9 .
At the beginning of the First World War , the Uhlans moved to the east, where they were initially used in border protection. At the end of August they took part in the Battle of Tannenberg and in mid-September in the Battle of the Masurian Lakes .
From November 1915 to August 1917, the regiment was responsible for coastal protection in Courland . During this time there was no contact with the enemy. After isolated fights east of Riga in autumn 1917, the regiment came to stage inspection 10 and was deployed in the rear area. This also included combating alliances of armed Russian deserters and other armed groups of the population that did not belong to combatant status. In the spring of 1918 the riders were involved in the advance to Lake Peipus and then took over the protection of the Estonian border. In May 1918 the relocation to Ukraine took placein order to be used in the security service until the end of the war.
On February 22, 1919, the regiment returned to Insterburg, only to be demobilized and disbanded.
From the remnants of the regiment, a volunteer squadron was set up for border protection against Poland and for the police service in Koenigsberg.
The tradition took over in the Reichswehr by decree of the Chief of the Army Command General of the Infantry Hans von Seeckt from August 24, 1921, the 3rd Squadron of the 1st (Prussian) Cavalry Regiment in Insterburg.
|Lieutenant colonel||Friedrich von Trotha||May 12th to June 30th 1860 (entrusted with the tour)|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Friedrich von Trotha||July 1, 1860 to June 25, 1864|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ferdinand von Glasenapp||June 25, 1864 to April 2, 1866|
|Lieutenant colonel||Alfred von Kehler||April 3, 1866 to August 24, 1867|
|Lieutenant colonel||Oskar von Bode||August 25, 1867 to August 17, 1869|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Otto von Rosenberg||August 18, 1869 to February 10, 1875|
|Oberst||Thure von Kuylenstjerna||February 11, 1875 to March 11, 1876|
|Lieutenant colonel||Ferdinand of Rudolphi||March 12, 1876 to June 10, 1879|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Ernst von Dielzielsky||June 11, 1879 to May 14, 1886|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Hermann von Kaisenberg||May 15, 1886 to January 17, 1891|
|Oberst||Maximilian von Lange||January 18, 1891 to April 20, 1894|
|Lieutenant colonel||from Scheffer||April 21, 1894 to December 13, 1897|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Theodor von Wernitz||December 14, 1897 to July 17, 1902|
|Lieutenant Colonel / Colonel||Richard von Schmidt||July 18, 1902 to June 17, 1906|
|Lieutenant colonel||George of Leipzig||June 18, 1906 to February 17, 1908|
|Lieutenant colonel||Paul von Thiel||February 18, 1908 to November 18, 1909|
|Oberst||Julius Croll||November 19, 1909 to March 19, 1911|
|Oberst||Paul von Below||March 20, 1911 to November 1, 1914|
|Lieutenant colonel||Arthur Hay||November 2, 1914 to June 12, 1915|
|Oberst||Franz Hotop||June 13, 1915 to June 9, 1918|
|Oberst||Arthus Hay||June 10, 1918 to the end|
The Ulanka called tunic was made of dark blue cloth. The badge color (cuffs, collar, parade discounts, Tschapkarabatte, epaulette fields and passers-by) was light blue. The trousers were anthracite. The buttons and fittings of the Tschapka were yellow, the parade hair bush was white. On the shoulders of the ulanka there were epaulettes with the regimental number. A white bandolier with a black cartridge ran from the left shoulder to the right hip . Crews and NCOs wielded tubular steel lances with black and white lance flags.
Already ordered by AKO on February 14, 1907 and gradually introduced from 1909/10, the colorful uniform was replaced for the first time by the field-gray field service uniform (M 1910) on the occasion of the imperial maneuver in 1913. This was completely like the peace uniform. The leather gear and the boots were natural brown, the chapka was covered by a fabric cover called reed-colored. The bandolier and the cartridge were no longer attached to this uniform.
- Hugo FW Schulz: The Prussian Cavalry Regiments 1913/1914. Weltbild, Augsburg 1992.
- Franz Weisbrodt: The Litthau Uhlan Regiment No. 12 from the formation to the present . ES Mittler & Sohn, Berlin 1886.
- Achim Kwasny (editor): Brief excerpt on the history of the Royal Prussian Uhlan Regiment (Litthauisches) No. 12. 1860 to 1918. German military history archive, location 2003.
- Our Old Army's Hall of Fame. Published on the basis of official material from the Reichsarchiv , Militär-Verlag, Berlin 1927, p. 32.
- Günter Wegmann (Ed.), Günter Wegner: Formation history and staffing of the German armed forces 1815-1990. Part 1: Occupation of the German armies 1815–1939. Volume 3: The occupation of the active regiments, battalions and departments by the foundation or listing up to August 26, 1939. Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück 1993, ISBN 3-7648-2413-1 , pp. 171–172.