Doctor - Médico
A physician is a professional who practices medicine and who attempts to maintain and restore human health by studying, diagnosing, and treating the patient's illness or injury . In the Spanish language , colloquially, these professionals are also called doctor / doctor, even if they have not obtained a doctorate degree . [ 1 ] The doctor is a highly qualified professional in health matters. Because it has to give correct and quick answers to health problems , through decisions usually made under conditions of great uncertainty, requires continuous training throughout their working life. [ 2 ]
|country||College degree||Professional name|
|Colombia||Physician or surgeon (counterparts)||Doctor|
|Spain||Bachelor / Degree in Medicine and Surgery||Doctor|
|Mexico||Surgeon / Surgeon and midwife||Doctor|
|Dominican Republic||Bachelor of Medicine and General Surgery||Doctor|
|Uruguay||Doctor in medicine||Doctor|
|Venezuela||Surgeon / Comprehensive Community Physician||Doctor|
The main objective of a doctor, and of medicine by extension, is "to take care of the health of the patient and alleviate his suffering ". [ 3 ] Hippocrates used to say: "The doctor seldom cures, sometimes relieves, but must always console." [ 4 ]
They are the main and most important reasons.
- Influence of family , friends , or the media .
- Commitment to patients and their suffering , to the concrete and individual.
- Religious, philosophical or life approaches, such as the belief in the impact of medicine on equity .
- Vocation for the profession and life.
- It can be a path of social commitment to change the circumstances that generate disease . Fight against the social determinants of health , and solidarity with those affected.
- It can become a form of rebellion against social injustice .
- Work in centers that radiate new scientific knowledge , so that the face of human suffering changes.
- Master a powerful part of science and technology , enormously attractive for its impact on the health of the patient.
- The effort to innovate in the organization of services, and to improve research applied to patient care with clinical trials , observational studies and what we call “evidence-based medicine” ( Evidence Based Medicine ).
- The desire for the development of medical sciences is fundamental, and serves as a spur to the continuous need for continuous training that characterizes the doctor.
- The production of medical ethics , which puts the philosophical and deontological counterpoint to the work of the clinical doctor.
- It can be a choice that gives a lot of versatility to life, as offered by different medical specialties, workplaces, and time spent in the profession.
- The remuneration of the doctor. In general, as a doctor you receive financial compensation that is usually average or above the average of other professionals (although there are extreme variations), and in any case being a doctor is a way of life.
- dignified treatment of the patient and colleagues.
- the judicious control of uncertainty during the encounter with the patient
- the practice of an ethic of ignorance (sharing with the patient our scientific limitations)
- the practice of an ethic of refusal (to reject what does not make sense, firmly but kindly, from patients, bosses and colleagues)
- enormous versatility in the limited time of clinical care .
These are general rules that are considered "obvious" and accepted without requiring prior demonstration, both in medicine and in nursing :
- First, do no harm "Lo primero es no hacer daños". [ 9 ]
- "There are no diseases, but sick people." [ 10 ] It is a key motto for the doctor, as it indicates that getting sick (suffering from the disease) is much more than the disease . Diseases are ill-defined changing states that each patient experiences personally.
- Memento mori : "Remember that you will die." [ 11 ]
The main functions of the doctor are:
- Clinic: patient care .
- Training: both their own continuing education , as well as the training of medical students. In addition, education for the health of citizens.
- Research: to achieve the best development and innovation in Medicine .
- Administration or management: of the human, material and financial resources available, and of the acquisition of new social and health support.
International Doctor's Day
In 1946, the Pan American Medical Confederation agreed to commemorate "International Doctor's Day" on December 3 , in memory of the Cuban doctor Carlos J. Finlay , discoverer of Aedes aegypti as a transmitter of yellow fever. Each country has its date to commemorate the healthcare professionals. [ 12 ]
The doctor in art
- Tirso de Molina . Medical love .
- Pedro Calderón de la Barca . The doctor of his honor . 1637 .
- Moliere . El medico volador ( The Flying Doctor ). 1645 .
- Moliere . El doctor enamorado ( The loving doctor ). 1658 .
- Moliere . El medico a palos ( The doctor in spite of himself ). 1666 .
- Alexandre Dumas . Memorias of a medico; José Bálsamo ( Memoirs of a doctor ). 1846 - 1849 .
- Renato Grosourdy . The Creole botanical doctor. Brachet; 1864 .
- Archibald J. Cronin . The citadel ( The Citadel ). United Kingdom: Gollancz; 1937 .
- Taylor Caldwell . Physician of bodies and souls (6th ed.). Martínez Roca; 1966 .
- Marino Gómez-Santos . Doctors who leave their mark. Madrid: Organization Sala Editorial; 1974 . ISBN 978-84-358-0058-7
- Herbert Le Porrier . El Médico de Córdoba ( The Medicine of Cordoba ). Barcelona: Random House Mondadori; 1977 . ISBN 84-97598253
- Frank G. Slaughter. Médicos en peligro (Doctors at Risk). 1983. Barcelona: Ed. Planeta; 1985. ISBN 84-320-8809-9
- Noah Gordon. El médico (The Physician). 1986. ISBN 978-0671477486
- Antoni Coll Gilabert . The doctor. Barcelona: Poetic Harmony; 1991 . ISBN 978-84-87749-09-4
- Noah Gordon . Shaman ( Shaman ). 1992 . ISBN 978-8496791633
- Noah Gordon. La doctora Cole (Matters of Choice). 1996. ISBN 978-8466617888
- Tessa Korber . The Emperor's Physician ( Der medicus des Kaisers ). Barcelona: Editions B; 2005 . ISBN 84-66621741
- Arsenio Asenjo . Medical humor: The best anecdotes and jokes about doctors and patients. Barcelona: Robinbook editions; 2006 . ISBN 978-84-7927-799-4
- Matt Cohen . The doctor of Toledo. Madrid: Maeva Editions; 2006 . ISBN 978-84-96231-84-9
- Alberto García Lledó . The anatomy lesson. Alcalá de Henares : University of Alcalá Publications Service; 2010 . ISBN 978-84-8138-855-8
- Jose Luis Corral . The heretic doctor. Barcelona: Planet; 2013 . ISBN 978-84-08-12242-5
- Sabino Antonio Micón . The doctor with sticks . Spain. 1926.
- Mario Soffici . The old doctor . Argentina. 1939.
- Alfonso Patiño Gómez . The doctor of crazy women . Mexico. 1944.
- Alberto de Zavalía . The doctor wants tangos . Argentina. 1949.
- Luis José Moglia Barth . Dr. Castañuelas . Argentina. 1950.
- Miguel Morayta Martínez . The doctor of crazy women . Mexico. 1956.
- Mario Monicelli . El médico y el curandero ( The doctor and the sorcerer ). Italy. 1957.
- Géza von Radványi . El stéding de Stalingrado ( Der Arzt von Stalingrad ). Alemania. 1958
- Miguel M. Delgado . Mr. Doctor . Mexico. 1965, starring Cantinflas
- Luigi Zampa . El médico de la mutual ( The doctor of the mutual society ). Italy. 1968.
- Gilberto Martínez Solares . The medical doctor . Mexico. 1971.
- Giuliano Carnimeo . Pepito, médico del seguro ( Pierino doctor of SAUB ). Italy. 1981.
- Randa Haines . Dr. ( The Doctor ). USA 1991, starring William Hurt
- Giacomo Campiotti . Moscati: El médico de los pobres ( Giuseppe Moscati: Love that heals ). Italy. 2007.
- Lance Daly . The Good Doctor ( The Good Doctor ). USA 2011.
- Daniel Fridell . The Doctor: The Cubaton Story . Sweden, Finland, Cuba and Estonia. 2011.
- Lucia Puenzo . The German doctor (Wakolda). Argentina. 2013, starring Àlex Brendemühl
- Philipp Stölzl . The Physician ( Der Medicus ). Germany. 2013, based on the novel The doctor ( The Physician ) by Noah Gordon .
- St. Elsewhere United States of America. 1982.
- Dr. Quinn United States of America. 1993.
- ER United States of America. 1994.
- Family doctor Spain. nineteen ninety five.
- Central Hospital Spain. 2000.
- Scrubs United States of America, 2001.
- House MD United States of America, 2004.
- Grey's Anatomy United States of America, 2005.
- Diary of a doctor Germany, 2007.
- Doctor Mateo Spain, 2009.
- Open heart Colombia, 2011.
- Good Doctor South Korea, 2013
- Doctor Stranger South Korea, 2014.
- The Night Shift United States of America, 2014
- The Good Doctor United States of America, 2017
- Doctors, life line Mexico, 2019
Doctors in fiction
Many characters in literature, theater, film and television represent doctors with very specific peculiarities and, at times, seeking the scientific and ethical limits of professional practice. [ 13 ] Some examples are:
- Royal Spanish Academy and Association of Academies of the Spanish Language (2014). "Doctor . " Dictionary of the Spanish language (23rd edition). Madrid: Espasa. ISBN 978-84-670-4189-7 . Retrieved October 3, 2018 .
- Gérvas J. Apprentices. Sanitary Act. September 7, 2009.
- Vélez Correa LA, Sarmiento Díaz JJ. Medical Ethics: Questions About Medicine, Life, and Death (3rd ed). Medellín (Colombia): Corporation for Biological Research; 2003.
- Cassel Erik. 1982.
- Gérvas J. The unknown territories of our mind. In: Why be a doctor today ?. Flichtentrei D, coordinator. Buenos Aires: El Zorzal Editions; 2009. p. 87-101.
- Pablo Bonal Pitz. Reasons to Study Medicine. Accessed 05/28/2013.
- Millán Núñez-Cortés J, del Llano Señarís JE (directors). Be a doctor. The values of a profession. Madrid: Unión Editorial; 2012. Archived 2017-03-08 at the Wayback Machine . ISBN 978-84-7209-583-0
- Advice of Aesculapius for those who think to be doctors. Grijalvo. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- Herranz G. The origin of "first, do no harm". BMJ rapid-response. 01/09/2002.
- Phrase attributed to Hippocrates , Claude Bernard and Gregorio Marañón
- Iron Law of Epidemiology.
- Turnes AL. International Doctor's Day. Dr. Carlos J. Finlaly. Uruguayan Medical Union. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- Riera I. The other doctors. Barcelona: ACV Ediciones; 2003.
- James F. Drane JF. How to be a good doctor (2nd ed.). Santafe de Bogotá: San Pablo; 1998.
- Gómez Esteban R. The Physician as a person in the Doctor-Patient relationship. Madrid: Editorial Fundamentos; 2002. ISBN 8424509110
- Peinado Herreros JM (coordinator). White book of the Degree in Medicine. National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation; April 2005.
- Guillermo Chaim Etcheberry. Why be a doctor today ?: Bridges between training and the practice of medicine. Buenos Aires: Zorzal Books; 2009. ISBN 978-987599127-9
- Wikiquote hosts famous quotes from or about Doctor .
- Wikimedia Commons hosts a multimedia category on Physicians .
- Wikimedia Commons hosts a multimedia category on Doctors in Paintings .
- Wiktionary has definitions and other information about medical .