Niendorf (Timmendorfer Strand) - Niendorf (Timmendorfer Strand)
Community Timmendorfer beach
|Height :||1 m|
|Postal code :||23669|
|Area code :||04503|
Location of Niendorf in Schleswig-Holstein
The place is about 3.5 kilometers east of the center of Timmendorfer Strand on the Neustädter Bay of the Baltic Sea . Travemünde is about four kilometers south-east and the city center of Lübeck 16 kilometers south-west. The port city of Neustadt is 12 kilometers to the north and Hamburg 70 kilometers to the southwest.
The place Niendorf was mentioned for the first time in 1385 under the name "Nyendorpe". It was a farming village owned by the Lübeck cathedral chapter. At the time, only fishermen from Lübeck were entitled to fish rights in the Bay of Lübeck. It was not until 1817 that the Niendorf farmers were allowed to fish. 
When Lübeck was occupied by Napoleon's French troops in 1806 and remained in his possession until 1813 ( Lübeck's French period ), Niendorf also came under French rule. In order to protect the newly won land from the Baltic Sea area and because of the hostility towards the English naval power, the French planned to build a naval port in the Hemmelsdorfer See . The lake had a connection to the Baltic Sea via the Aalbek , which was still wider at the time . This would have given the French warships a haven on the Baltic Sea. For this purpose, detailed surveying work was carried out in the Bay of Lübeck around 1810 and documented in a survey map from 1811. 
A map from 1836 (in  ) shows the farming village of Niendorf with its houses - surrounded by garden lands and fields - located directly on the Baltic Sea beach. At that time there was still no bathing pleasure on the Baltic coast. The sea was scary to the population back then. Hardly anyone could swim, the coasts were avoided, the beaches were empty. With the publication of his research on the healing effects of sea water, the English doctor Richard Russell from Brighton initiated the beginning of the lake spa baths in 1753. As a result, one of the first sea spa baths developed in Brighton around 1780. 
The establishment of a restaurant and accommodation for bathers in 1854 and the installation of two bathing carts on Niendorfer Strand in 1855 marked the beginning of the seaside resort of Niendorf. Beach life had already established itself in Travemünde; before the first house was built. The installation of the bathing carts in Niendorf required the approval of the office in Schwartau , combined with the condition that police regulations regarding the positioning of the bathing carts and bathing regulations must be complied with. 
In November 1872, when a storm flood with water levels of over 3.5 m above sea level pressed into the Bay of Lübeck, the water masses also flooded Niendorf and the surrounding hinterland. In Niendorf, 12 of the 33 houses were completely destroyed and 15 partially destroyed, four people (two older men and two children) were killed. 17 ships ran aground in the Bay of Lübeck. The flood damage in the Bay of Lübeck triggered a large fundraising campaign. 
In 1890 there were around 200 spa guests in Niendorf than in Travemünde. Travemünde has been accessible by train since 1882 - especially for Hamburg spa guests. The onward journey to Niendorf then took place in horse-drawn carriages from the post office. In 1899 Niendorf received a church and its own school. In 1909 a 220 meter long pier was built directly in front of the Johansen Hotel. The passengers no longer had to be disembarked to get to the spa ships, but could now reach them from the bridge. The farming village of Niendorf developed organically into a seaside resort and was one of the most important seaside resorts in the Bay of Lübeck at the beginning of the 20th century. In 1913 Niendorf also got a railway connection . 1914, shortly before the outbreak of the First World War, a bandstand on the beach added another attraction to the place. 
Development of the place Niendorf (note: - means no information): 
|year||Residential houses||Residents||Hotels||Spa guests|
In the years 1920 to 1922 the Niendorfer Hafen was artificially created in the estuary area of the Aalbek . The Kurpark An der Acht was laid out at the former Aalbek estuary on the west side of the port .
In 1945 Timmendorfer Strand was declared an independent municipality by the British military government , with the districts of Niendorf, Hemmelsdorf , Groß Timmendorf and Klein Timmendorf , as they still exist today. 
After the Second World War , Niendorf took in many displaced persons and refugees, including 30 fishing families from East and West Prussia. In 1954 the so-called "fishing settlement" was built for these families on the outskirts of Niendorf. 
In 1948 the Niendorfer Hafen became a yacht and fishing port through the construction of an additional harbor basin for the Niendorfer Yacht Club .
In 1954 it was recognized as a spa on the Baltic Sea , which was important for the expansion of tourism.
In the early 1990s, fishing, which had played an important role in Niendorf for many years, declined sharply after the introduction of fishing quotas in the Baltic Sea.
Facilities open to the public
Niendorf has a tradition of children's homes, children's rest homes and maternal convalescence homes, such as the Maria Meeresstern clinic with its St. Johann church.
The Niendorf bird park was opened on the southern outskirts in 1973 .
Compared to the glamorous neighboring Timmendorfer Strand, Niendorf is a rather tranquil Baltic Sea spa, which is particularly popular with families with children. In recent years, however, some more elegant hotels and apartment buildings have been added, and the long promenade with a view of the beach and many cafés has been widened and embellished as part of an EU coastal protection measure. There are numerous accommodation options in hotels, guest houses and holiday apartments.
Niendorf has a sandy beach about two kilometers long and up to 40 meters wide with a promenade. The pier built in 1966, the house of the spa guest and the seawater indoor pool from 1975 are located on it.
On June 14, 2014, the new, 1.9 million euro, 185 meter long pier was opened. The old pier was badly damaged in the winters 2012/2013 and 2013/2014.
The main attraction right in the center of the village is the yacht and fishing port with several fish restaurants. From May to October, the Niendorf fish market takes place here on the first Sunday of the month.
South of Niendorf is the Hemmelsdorfer See , whose deepest point is 39 meters below sea level. Between the lake and the village is the Niendorf bird park with 1,300 animals, 350 different species and the largest collection of living owls in the world. To the east between Niendorf and Travemünde near the village of Brodten is the Brodtener Ufer , a steep coast up to 20 meters high with an excursion restaurant. You can hike the entire steep bank of Brodten from Niendorf to Travemünde.
The 349 hectare nature reserve Aalbek Niederung, a Natura 2000 area of European standing, begins directly on the outskirts . The quarry forest, the sedge lawn and the wet meadows on the north shore of the Hemmelsdorfer See are the habitat of a species-rich fauna of water birds, amphibians and insects. The “Hermann-Löns-Blick” is located near the lakeshore, an observation tower that gives the visitor a wide panoramic view of the landscape. Bike / hiking trails start at the spa park and bird park and lead to Timmendorfer Strand.
In May 1952 the literary association Gruppe 47 met for its 10th meeting in Niendorf; there Paul Celan recited his as yet unknown fugue of death , among other poems . A memorial stone on the guest's house commemorates this meeting.
In the cemetery on the road to Häven ( Ratekau ) there is a memorial for 113 of the approximately 6,400 dead of the Cap Arcona tragedy who are buried in the cemetery. There is also a memorial stone for the dead of the First World War, as well as for those who died in the Second World War, as well as for all those who are buried in distant countries. The cemetery has recently been renovated including all graves.
The next motorway junctions are at Lübeck and Ratekau on the A 1 and the A 226 . The federal highway 76 from Lübeck-Travemünde to Kiel does not run as a kind of bypass road through the center of the town.
The standard gauge branch line Lübeck-Travemünde Hafen-Niendorf (Baltic Sea) was closed in 1974 and then dismantled.
- Heine Herde: The series archive images - Timmendorfer Strand, Sutton-Verlag, Erfurt 2006, ISBN 3-89702-985-5
- Otto Rönnpag: From Nyendorpe to Niendorf / Ostsee 1385–1985, 600-year celebration of Niendorf / Ostsee, collection of the essays in the yearbook for local history Eutin on Timmendorfer Strand and Niendorf, 1985
- , Georg Schipporeit: Timmendorfer Strand and Niendorf / Ostsee, Verlag Gronenberg, Wiehl, 2002 ISBN 3-88265-234-9
-  , Die Welt: We are going to the sea.
- Chronicle of the Timmendorfer Strand spa community, On the centenary 1965, 2nd expanded edition 1979
- http://www.timmendorfer-strand.org/gemeinde-info/geschichte.html ( Memento from April 1, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) , Historical Development - Timmendorfer Strand.