Registrar (Acts) - Registratur (Akten)
The registry is the body specially charged with the management of records . One distinguishes
- the central registry with responsibility for an entire authority , institution, etc. Ä. ( Registrar ) and
- the departmental registry with correspondingly limited responsibility.
Instead of a registry, a so-called clerk filing or electronic records management is often used with the same functions .
The term “registry” comes from the time before the office reform , when the registry was even more important in the course of business, and alludes to the registration of individual (paper) documents in the business diary .
In addition to the storage of the document containers, the registry and its alternatives are equally responsible for the following tasks:
- Appropriate file creation in consultation with the responsible clerks
- Allocation of file titles, file numbers according to the file plan (registry plan ) and number
- Management of the file directory
- Filing of documents in the corresponding file, if necessary removal for processing
- if necessary keeping the table of contents of the file
- registration of documents in individual cases
- Management of deadline and resubmission lists and timely provision of files
- Monitoring of retention periods , etc.
- Processing of the submission of files to repository (old registry) and archive
A part of the written material whose processing has been completed and whose retention period has started with the completion of the processing is called an old registry .
As a rule, files from authorities must be offered to the responsible archive after the retention period has expired ( archiving obligation ). This transfer is partly made earlier to an intermediate archive (USA: record center ), which was set up for the federal authorities in Sankt Augustin near Bonn and in Dahlwitz-Hoppegarten near Berlin and which takes on the function of an old registry.
ISO DIN 15489 -1 / -2 Information and documentation - Records management as an international standard provides guidance on the management of records of public and private organizations. At the European level, MoReq (Model Requirements) was created as a standard for electronic filing management (Records Management).
The registry of an authority forms the basis for administrative action and is therefore a fundamental element of its knowledge management . In Germany, the DOMEA concept represents the technical and functional basis for document management and electronic archiving in the field of public administration .
- Pulling means removing a file from the registry.
- Inserting, also repositioning, means that a file is filed in the registry.
- Reinhold Guenther Dannert: The registry . Hirzel, Berlin 1929
- Thea Miller: The German Registrar . Calgary 1973 (PDF-Date, 5.1 MB, English)
- Reichskuratorium für Wirtschaftlichkeit (Ed.): The document filing (registry). Suggestions based on experience with private companies and authorities . Spaeth & Linde, Berlin