Roberto Pazos - Roberto Pazos
Pazos in his Brussels studio
|Occupation||Illustrator and painter|
Roberto Pazos (Buenos Aires, 1961) is an Argentine illustrator , painter and plastic artist based in Brussels . His illustrations were published in newspapers and magazines in Argentina , Spain and Belgium .
The style of his illustrations, like that of his paintings, refers to the aesthetics of the 20s, suprematism , cubism , certain modernist trends of that time, even expressionism : It could be defined as "retro modernism" .
Professional beginnings in Argentina
He made his first painting show in 1988 (Vermeer Gallery). [ 1 ]
In 1993 he exhibited in a group show "The suspended vision" in the Casal de Catalunya , conceived with the idea of creating, if not a school, at least an aesthetic, mainly metaphysical link between its participants: There were works by Batlle Planas , Roberto Aizemberg, Cohen, Guagnini, Mazzuchelli, and Soibelman. [ 3 ] For the occasion Pazos writes about the style of his teacher Aizemberg, alluding to a way of painting common to the members of the sample [ 4 ]
This 'smoothness' on the surface of the painting estimates the absence of trace, of the work of the hand, due to the spectral presence of the image.
Parallel to his painting work, he published illustrations in various magazines of the time. Between 1986 and 1987 he collaborated as an illustrator for the cultural magazine " El Porteño ", created by Gabriel Levinas. On more than one occasion, between 1983 and 1988, Pazos worked as an illustrator for the political and cultural magazine “ Crisis ”, advised by the writers Eduardo Galeano and Osvaldo Soriano.
In March 1987 Pazos made the cover and drawings that illustrate No. 8 of the magazine "Vuelta-sudamericana", a literary publication founded and directed by the Nobel Prize winner for Literature Octavio Paz. [ 5 ]
Your work in Spain
At the beginning of the 90s he emigrated to Barcelona , he began publishing illustrations for the newspaper "El País", a medium in which he would publish for eight years, covering a wide range of topics. Illustrates covers for the literary supplement "Babelia" published nationwide. [ 6 ]
Participate in the Catalan edition "Quadern". Until 1996, he will illustrate almost all the covers of the supplement “El País Extra” (Catalonia). [ 7 ] [ 8 ] In addition to illustrating for magazine "Visual, magazine design, graphic creativity and communication", "Diari de Barcelona", " The Observer News " and other publications. [ 9 ]
In 1996, the publishing house "Enciclopedia Catalana" in its collection "La Galera" proposed that you illustrate the book of stories for children "La capseta dels petons" (also published in Spanish as "La cajita de los besos") by the writer Antonia Savall . [ 10 ]
Settlement in Belgium
Shortly after, in April 2001, he exhibited illustrations at "Librairie Galerie Gavilan", Brussels.
Then, from September 20 to October 12, 2001, at "La Maison de l'Amerique Latine", the exhibition "Roberto Pazos, Peintures, illustrations and digital impressions" is held in the same city.
The editorial exhibition highlights: [ 8 ]
We decided to work with the aesthetic elements inherited from this important artistic movement that was Art Nouveau for Belgium at the beginning of the century. And we entrusted this task to a talented illustrator, Roberto Pazos, whose experience and trajectory bear witness to an impressive vitality and creativity. An Argentinean illustrator, he took his first steps in Buenos Aires, before embarking on this great journey of crossing the Atlantic Ocean. In Spain, the natural gateway to Europe, he worked for more than eight years at "El País", before arriving in Belgium, where he was already doing illustrations for the Belgian daily "Cultura Libre".
In 2002, from May 17, 2002 to June 7, he exhibited his "Drawings on Globalization" at the "Achille Chavée" Club. [ 12 ]
In 2004, he exhibited his illustrations at the "Novo" gallery, Brussels.
Since 2005 he has published in the French-Belgian magazine Spirou. In 2006, this magazine commissioned him to coordinate the publication of number 3562, dedicated to Argentine cartoonists. They published their strips; Sergio Langer , Liniers , Max Cachimba , Maxi Luchini, Gustavo Roldán (h), Sergio Kern and Edgardo Carosia among others. He helped coordinate the cartoonist Elenio Pico [ 13 ] [ 14 ]
Pazos would continue to publish in Spirou until 2008.
During the years 2015-17, he collaborated as an illustrator for the Belgian press group "Reflexion Medical Network", responsible for 12 publications dedicated to general medicine and pharmaceuticals. Create the group's mascot, called "Dr. Medi-Sphere", which will be used for all kinds of presentations, conferences and medical promotion catalogs. [ 15 ] [ 16 ]
Since then, he continues to develop his work for different magazines and publications.
He published his illustrations in different countries. [ 17 ]
- " The Porteño " (magazine) 1986 to 1987 [ 18 ]
- " Crisis " (magazine) [ 1 ]
- "Return" (magazine) [ 18 ] [ 19 ]
- "Journal of Poetry" (magazine) [ 18 ] [ 20 ]
- "El País" from 1992 to 1999
- "The Observer"
- "Diari de Barcelona"
- "Visual" (magazine) [ 21 ]
- " Lateral " (magazine) [ 22 ]
- "La Municipal" (magazine)
- "The Catalan Encyclopedia" (Book)
- The box kissing - M. Antonia Savall (Children 's book) [ 23 ]
- "La Libre Belgique" from 2000 to 2005 [ 24 ] [ 25 ] [ 26 ]
- " Journal Spirou " (comic book ) Editions Dupuis Belgium - from 2005 to 2008 [ 27 ]
- "Journal du Medecine" (periódico)
- "La Tribune de Bruxelles" (Revista) [ 28 ]
- "Le Soir Junior" (revista)
- "Le Soir Victor" (revista)
- "Bizz magazine" (revista)
- "Le Soir magazine" (revista)
- "The Ligueur" (revista)
- "Plus magazine" (revista)
- "Pepper Plug" (revista)
- "Families" (revista)
- "La Libre Essentielle" (revista)
- Medi-Sphere (revista) [ 29 ]
In other countries
- "Question of Women" (revista) (in Francia)
- "The Creation Lab - Website production company" (Web) (En Inglaterra)
- «Revista Crisis Nº 62» . https://clementina.nyc3.digitaloceanspaces.com .
- “Roberto Pazos: Exhibition Gallery Vermeer 1990, Buenos Aires Argentina” . http://robertopazos.blogspot.com .
- "Koha Spike Study Center - Details for: The suspended vision" . http://catalogo.espigas.org.ar .
- «Page 12» . https://www.pagina12.com.ar .
- "South American Tour nº 8 - Ahira" . url = https://www.ahira.com.ar .
- «COVERS A LA CARTE - Icons8 Blog» . https://www.portadasdeelpais.com .
- «Extra EL PAIS, Second-hand Barcelona Motor Show 93; in Torregrossa in WALLAPOP » . https://web.archive.org .
- "EDIT" . https://web.archive.org (in French) .
- "Roberto Pazos - Newspaper" El Observador de Catalunya "- Barcelona - August 1992" . https://robertoepazos.blogspot.com .
- «Libraries Alianza Educativa Koha - Details for: La cajita de los besos» . http://biblioalianza.alianzaeducativa.edu.co .
- “Who doesn't want to be a millionaire? - La Libre ” . https://www.lalibre.be (in French) .
- "" .Flower. " artists at the castle Cat readings under the label of Presles - Le Soir ” . https://www.lesoir.be (in French) .
- "Spirou year 2006" . https://bdoubliees.com (in French) .
- "Spirou HeBDo goes international, summer time!" - ActuaBD ” . https://www.actuabd.com (in French) .
- "Medi-Sphere - No. 544" . https://flipflashpages.uniflip.com (in French) .
- "Medi-Sphere - Nº 500" . https://flipflashpages.uniflip.com (in French) .
- "LOCAL LIFE - DH Les Sports" . https://www.dhnet.be (in French) .
- Crisis Magazine Nº 62, July 1988 - p. 3
- "South American Tour nº 8 - Ahira" . https://www.ahira.com.ar .
- "Diary of Poetry N ° 6 - Ahira" . https://www.ahira.com.ar .
- «Visual: magazine of design, graphic creativity and communication. 1993, no. 40 - Dialnet » . https://dialnet.unirioja.es .
- «A lateral trajectory» . http://americat.barcelona .
- «CCUC / All Locations». https://ccuc.csuc.cat.
- "Dreaming Brussels ... - La Libre" . https://www.lalibre.be (in French) .
- «Opération« swarming »- La Libre» . https://www.lalibre.be (in French) .
- "Bad points in reading: copies to review?" - La Libre <» . https://www.lalibre.be (in French) .
- "Pazos in Spirou" . https://www.bdoubliees.com (in French) .
- "The Tribune of Brussels" . https://www.doyoubuzz.com (in French) .
- "Medi-Sphere - No. 504" . https://flipflashpages.uniflip.com (in French) .