Castle barracks - Schloss-Kaserne
Castle barracks entrance around 1910
|Formerly stationed units|
| Leib-Dragoons Regiment |
Infantry Regiment No. 168
Infantry Regiment No. 36
22nd Infantry Regiment
Location of the castle barracks in Hesse
From 1609 to 1643 Butzbach was from a side line of Hessen-Darmstadt , the Landgrave Philip III. ruled by Hessen-Darmstadt-Butzbach. During this time, the Landgrave had the existing and run-down small castle converted into a representative castle building. The building consisted of a main wing with two side wings, the south of which was provided with two round towers. The city wall ran in front of this side of the castle, was later removed and served as a barracks wall until the property was enlarged. In 1818 the castle, which had previously been used for other purposes (the line of the Landgraves of Hesse-Darmstadt-Butzbach had already died out in 1643), was converted into a barracks . A squadron was stationed hereof the Grand Ducal Hessian Guard Chevaulegers Regiment. The complex was named Chevaulegers barracks . At the same time a stables and a riding and parade hall were built.
With a decree of December 1, 1859, Grand Duke Ludwig III. the reclassification of the previous "Guard Chevaulegers regiment" in two cavalry - regiments or a cavalry brigade . The 1st regiment kept the designation " Garde Chevaulegers Regiment ", the 2nd regiment was named " Leib Chevaulegers Regiment ".
Thereupon the barracks were occupied with two more squadrons of the "Leib-Chevaulegers-Regiment".
Since the barracks in Butzbach was needed for the 1st Battalion of the newly established 5th Grand Ducal Hessian Infantry Regiment No. 168 after the army increase in 1898 , the dragoons moved out to make room for the infantry . The barracks have now been renamed Schloss-Kaserne.
After the Second World War
In 1945 the American occupying forces confiscated the vacant buildings and sent displaced persons to the area . The property was used accordingly until 1951. Until the barracks were closed in 1993, it housed:
- 22nd Infantry Regiment
- 2nd Battalion 3rd Field Artillery Regiment
- 122nd Main Support Battalion
- 503rd Personal Service Company
- 503rd Military Police Company (Teile)
- 16th Signal Battalion
- NCO Academy (NCO School) of the 3rd Armored Division 
In the course of the conversion , the site went to the city of Butzbach and has been used for civil purposes since 1999. (The town hall is now in the right wing of the castle.)
Description of the property
The barracks consisted of the Landgravial Palace, two team blocks (demolished), a farm building (demolished), a staff building, a stables, a riding and parade hall (already converted into a gym by the US Army), the Landgravial Ballhaus used as a warehouse, and various outbuildings (all demolished). The additional buildings erected by the US Army and the motor pool (technical area) outside the actual barracks area as well as most of the quarry stone wall surrounding the barracks were also demolished.
- City archive Butzbach