| Single from Los Planetas|
from the album A week on the motor of a bus
|B side||"Some friends"|
|Format|| 7 " |
Vinyl Compact Disc (2015 reissue)
|Recording||Zabriskie Point ( New York , United States )|
|Record label||RCA - BMG|
|Producer (s)||Kurt Ralske and The Planets|
- Second prize (radio edit) 04:47
- Some friends 03:48
In 2005 it was included, in CD format, in the box Singles 1993-2004. All your A sides / All your B sides ( RCA - BMG ). The chest was reissued, on both CD and 10-inch vinyl , by October / Sony in 2015.
Title and influences
According to Santi Carrillo, director of the music magazine Rockdelux , "Los Planetas chose the title of this song after finishing second in a demo contest of our magazine in 1993, below Australian Blonde ". [ 2 ]
The vocal melody of the song is practically identical to that of the song "Promesses" by Étienne Daho, recorded in 1984. About it, Florent, guitarist of Los Planetas, commented in 2007: "Well, let's say it's a little tribute." [ 3 ] For his part, the singer of the group, Jota , revealed in the Universal Random Telepathic Emission (name of the section with which he collaborated with the online radio station Radio Gladys Palmera until December 2013) broadcast on May 30, 2013 [ 4 ] that Smoke Signals ( Distant Plastic Trees , Red Flame, 1991) by Magnetic Fields, inspired the melody of the song, while some of the lyrics are based on that of Blue Flower ( In Ribbons , 4AD , 1992) by Pale Saints .
Second Prize Versions
- The singer of Los Planetas, Jota, recorded a live version of Second Prize with the group led by Raül Fernández for the second party The Rockdelux Experience, a party organized by Rockdelux magazine. It was released on the compilation CD The Rockdelux Experience Vol. 2 (Sinedín 2005).
- Miqui Puig included a version on his live album Miope (Sinnamon Records 2007).
- Lonely Joe also recorded Second Prize for his album A Touch of Lonely (Subterfuge Records 2008), a version also available on the Stereoparty 2009 compilation (Subterfuge Records 2008).
Use in media
- «The Planets - Second Prize» . Discogs . Retrieved December 13, 2015 .
- Rolling Stone . "The ten best songs of the Spanish 'indie' of the 90s" . Archived from the original on March 8, 2011 . Retrieved March 7, 2011 .
- Valiño, Xavier (May 20, 2007). «Los Planetas, take a little cante» . Ultrasonic . Retrieved June 6, 2020 .
- « " Telepathic Emission ", by Jota (05-30-13) Songs that inspired A week in a bus engine " » . Archived from the original on January 17, 2014. Accessed on January 14, 2014 .
- Public . "Comedy of the XXI century" . Retrieved May 8, 2011 .