Thune (Braunschweig) - Thune (Braunschweig)
City of Braunschweig
|Height :||73 m ü. NN|
|Residents :||1469 (Dec. 31, 2015) |
|Incorporation :||March 1, 1974|
|Postal code :||38110|
|Area code :||05307|
Location Thunes in Braunschweig
Thune is a district of Braunschweig and is located about 8 kilometers north of the city center, right on the border with the Gifhorn district . It belongs to the city district 323 - Wenden-Thune-Harxbüttel .
The settlement areas of Thunes are mostly north of the Mittelland Canal , some parts also on the valley sand terraces of the Schunter , which flows through this area. The district is connected to Harxbüttel via Kreisstraße 27 and to Braunschweig via Kreisstraße 28. To the northeast is federal highway 4 , which connects the city of Braunschweig with the district of Gifhorn. On the tangent A 391 that is the motorway junction Braunschweig-Nord within easy reach.
As early as 1273 a castle with the name “Castrum Thune” was first mentioned in a document. A fortification had existed here since the 9th to 10th centuries and was part of a series of Schunterburgen that formed a line of defense in the wars between the Wends and the Saxonsrepresented. The castles were surrounded by wooden palisades, under which the settlement could develop. The castle complex changed hands several times and was badly damaged in 1492 and only referred to as “desolate” in 1576. The name of the place could be derived from this fortification, because in 1356 it was called “dat slot de Thun”, in 1388 “Thün” and in 1477 the settlement was called “dat dorp to dem Thüne”. A farm was built in 1771 where the castle was once located. This so-called Lower Saxony house was demolished between 1955 and 1967. The fire station of the volunteer fire brigade and the kindergarten are located on Burgplatz . 
In 1639, the former manor was created from another farm, which was acquired by Georg Ernst von Jettebrock on September 16, 1693. He was district administrator and dean of the St. Blasi Abbey of the city of Braunschweig and was knighted by the dukes of Braunschweig and Lüneburg Rudolf August and Anton Ulrich . Thune was the smallest manor in the Braunschweig region. 
From 1701 to 1896 the manor had changing owners. One of them was the grandson of the physician Heinrich Meibom , the Duke of Braunschweig-Lüneburgische Hofrath and Leibmedicus Heinrich Johann von Meibom (born December 14, 1717 in Helmstedt), who lived here from 1754 until his death on January 12, 1773.  After 1896 the buildings and lands were divided and sold, so that it lost its position as a manor. 
- The forest areas near Thune have been designated as a landscape protection area since 1962. In 1974 the village of Thune was incorporated into Braunschweig.
coat of arms
The coat of arms shows a silver horse head gable on a red shield, which is arranged over a silver palisade of seven pointed stakes in the base of the shield.
The outward looking horse heads of the gable cross symbolize the Saxon origins of the settlement and its rural characteristics. The red and white coloring not only reflects the colors of the city of Braunschweig, but also, together with the horse symbol, those of the coat of arms of Lower Saxony.
Arnold Rabbow designed the coat of arms. It was adopted on September 4, 1980 by the local council in Wenden, to which Thune belonged at the time. 
- Thune on braunschweig.de
- History on bs-thune.de
- Literature about Thune in the catalog of the German National Library